What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shannon V. OKeets

RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Skanvak

A possibility to continue the game after the official end is interesting and should be added. The bottomline is that the game don't go far without extension (Patif).
Yes, this is an optional rules in MWIF. I haven't coded it yet because, unlike other optional rules, this is something the players are likely to want to change during the game. I am going to take a look at other optional rules to see if changing them "on the fly" might be a reasonable thing to enable (the coding would have to be simple though - I don't want to be adding all the light cruisers in the middle of a game).

Suggestions for which optional rules to make dynamic?
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

A debug option to let you sandbox your own scenarios, like that of the old CWiF, would be golden. I've had the Axis invade America in 1939, giant German v. Russian tank battles in Africa, and Risk-style games where each side drafts minors, gets 100 build points to field a starting army, and then goes to town. That would also eliminate the need to program all of the default scenarios - we could just set them up ourselves.

Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

A debug option to let you sandbox your own scenarios, like that of the old CWiF, would be golden. I've had the Axis invade America in 1939, giant German v. Russian tank battles in Africa, and Risk-style games where each side drafts minors, gets 100 build points to field a starting army, and then goes to town. That would also eliminate the need to program all of the default scenarios - we could just set them up ourselves.

Are you talking about the ability to mod and create your own scenario or use debug to change the things you don't like on the fly?
Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

A possibility to continue the game after the official end is interesting and should be added. The bottomline is that the game don't go far without extension (Patif).

Most players have more than enough with just the basic version of WiF without the options, especially when not very experimented. Then just adding the various options, is just enough already for most of them. [:)]

I find that WiF is not Axis & Allies on steroids, it's even beyond that.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

I don´t have a group to play with ...so I play alot of sandbox ...

Spain is a good place to fight .... I play with 20 random units from 2 random major powers.

with free scrapping ....
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Yes, this is an optional rules in MWIF. I haven't coded it yet because, unlike other optional rules, this is something the players are likely to want to change during the game. I am going to take a look at other optional rules to see if changing them "on the fly" might be a reasonable thing to enable (the coding would have to be simple though - I don't want to be adding all the light cruisers in the middle of a game).

I am definitely glad to hear this. If you truly do this...despite my anxiety over these impulses....I will get the game.

Also, will the major powers have the ability to switch sides in the conflict or make peace?
I would really like to see that.

Also, how far does the research and weapons go? Will we be able to use nukes in any way? That is a request if it is not in the game.(I don't see how it couldn't be in the game)

I know you said that invading the USA would not be possible, but I was wondering if you meant that was literally a restriction built into the game code or is it simply unrealistic because of because of the magnitude of the feat?

Will you add and Alternate History scenarios? I'm requesting them if you don't have any?

Thank you, Shannon for replying and trying to dispel my bewilderment.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

I am definitely glad to hear this. If you truly do this...despite my anxiety over these impulses....I will get the game.

Also, will the major powers have the ability to switch sides in the conflict or make peace?

In the board game, they can make peace if both (or all those involved) powers agree under any terms that don't directly violate the rules. This is almost impossible to code in a computer game. There is a special rule for peace between Russia and Japan (if they have a war) that is specific enough to be coded.
Also, how far does the research and weapons go? Will we be able to use nukes in any way? That is a request if it is not in the game.(I don't see how it couldn't be in the game)
Research is represented abstractly by the ability to build units ahead of their year of arrival, providing all of that type are already built. Of course they cost more to build in that case.
Edit: Only the U.S. can build A-bombs and can deliver one (only) in each of the last three turns of the game.
I know you said that invading the USA would not be possible, but I was wondering if you meant that was literally a restriction built into the game code or is it simply unrealistic because of because of the magnitude of the feat?
It is possible given the right conditions, by any of the Axis.
Will you add and Alternate History scenarios? I'm requesting them if you don't have any?

Alternate history scenarios are not the focus for MWiF version 1. What happens after that is dependent on a great many factors.
Paul
Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

• Playing solitaire you can play both sides. Same for Hotseat. I am unsure if you can swith against the AI. The other two modes (Internet and PBEM) are vs. live players.
  • V-Weapons and atomic bombs are part of optional rule 23 from PiF (Planes in Flames)
  • Research in WiF is not like HoI. This game has variations in the thousands of units that exist. Building new units and scrapping old units represents a part of research and unit upgrades. So these differnces in unit capabilities combined with drawing from a blind force pool covers the success and failure aspect of research. So even if you are building and creating new units it must be balanced with a solid production plan. However, if Germany wants a navy the counters do exist.
  • It is somewhat unrealistic to invade the US but it can be done. However you would probably need to subdue France, England, and keep the USSR at bay or conquer them too.
  • I believe the scenario choices were fixed a long time ago.

I strongly suggest you download the free Rules as Written (RaW) from ADG's website and see what the game is about. In my own opinion it is a strategic and tactical simulation of the second World War forcing players to deal with the availability and capability to produce combat units to conduct warfare. Since not every location in the world can be ideally covered, the game may branch into unexpected directions. Therefore deviating from history. Russia invading Persia, Japan sending units to the Med, and so forth. It is not your typical free wheeling game for an afternoon. Instead it is an extremely massive chess game of thousands of pieces and locations.
ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

I don´t have a group to play with ...so I play alot of sandbox ...

Spain is a good place to fight .... I play with 20 random units from 2 random major powers.

with free scrapping ....

Well depending on how moddable WiF ends up being recreating the Spanish Civil War could be very interesting indeed.
Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

About alternate histories - having said the above, I 've found every game of WiF I've ever played has been "an alternate history".
Paul
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

In the board game, they can make peace if both (or all those involved) powers agree under any terms that don't directly violate the rules. This is almost impossible to code in a computer game. There is a special rule for peace between Russia and Japan (if they have a war) that is specific enough to be coded.
Research is represented abstractly by the ability to build units ahead of their year of arrival, providing all of that type are already built. Of course they cost more to build in that case.
Edit: Only the U.S. can build A-bombs and can deliver one (only) in each of the last three turns of the game.
It is possible given the right conditions, by any of the Axis.

Alternate history scenarios are not the focus for MWiF version 1. What happens after that is dependent on a great many factors.
Simulation01:

Paul's answers are good enough for me. And Andy's (abj9562) augment them somewhat.

I'm busy coding and debugging, so I'll let their answers serve as stand-ins for mine.[:)]
Steve

Orm

Post by Orm »

Invading USA is not that unrealistic with a very succesfull Axis.

For example. A successful unexpected invasion on United Kingdom during 1940 and conquering both United Kingdom and France during 1940. Then a combined attack by all 3 axis in USSR in 1941 pushing the Soviet Union into the Urals and eventually conquering USSR in 1943. Meanwhile USA is desperate to help the USSR and loses alot of his fleet against land based axis air force. During 1940-1943 axis launches successful attacks on the mediteranian and eventually on India as well. Not all of this would be needed to invade USA. But for a successful invasion, getting more than a few hexes, it is probaly not far from what is needed.

Most of these games would have been surrendered far before the invasion. I also belive that the skill of the Axis players would need to be superior of the Allied players for this to happen.

Edit: The Axis would also need to be lucky. [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Most players have more than enough with just the basic version of WiF without the options, especially when not very experimented. Then just adding the various options, is just enough already for most of them. [:)]

I find that WiF is not Axis & Allies on steroids, it's even beyond that.

My eyes almost came out of their sockets when I read that, but I didn't want to be a fanboy or sound like that.

I have played both and the difference between WiF and A&A is bigger than between chess and "snake and ladders". I wonder what steroids mean in this case, but I think WiF is way much more...

[:D]
Patience

Post by Patience »

Steve,

Just a question, not sure if this has been talked about before.

In the game do you have the options through buttons or whatever to narrow the view of military pieces by type. so if i want to just see where all fighter aircraft are i can press a button or make a selection and only the location of fighter aircraft of all nationalities are displayed on the map.
"Time is the greatest teacher... Unfortunately she kills all her students."
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Patience

Steve,

Just a question, not sure if this has been talked about before.

In the game do you have the options through buttons or whatever to narrow the view of military pieces by type. so if i want to just see where all fighter aircraft are i can press a button or make a selection and only the location of fighter aircraft of all nationalities are displayed on the map.
Nope, not available.

You can use the Units form to filter by dozen of factors: nationality, unit type, location (e.g., on map), year built, etc. That form has an insert map that will center on any unit you click on. The main detailed map can be linked to center onthe unit too. So, if you bring up the Units form, you can see a shortened list of just your fighters that are on the map, and then click on each one of them in turn to have the map(s) center on them. Not exactly what you are looking for, but a close proximity.
Steve

38special

Post by 38special »

Personally, I see many German options in WIF. Attacking France Early, especially with optional setup rebuilds allow France 39 option. UK invasion by summer of 40 and maybe the Germans can invade Iceland as a precursor to USA invasion by then as well.

I will have to try that in my next game.
Arrogance is the next best thing to being there.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

About alternate histories - having said the above, I 've found every game of WiF I've ever played has been "an alternate history".

this is what makes the game so engrossing. every game is like reading a detailed alternate history of WWII. and it's a page-turner you just can't put down. All that in standard vanilla World in Flames.
Patton_71

Post by Patton_71 »

My personal favorite is a plan Z scenario where the German navy has been built up to the level Raeder was promised by 1944. Granted all other powers would have been on a faster building clip than historically, but I always wondered what a WWII version of Jutland would be like.
Patrick

oscar72se

Post by oscar72se »

ORIGINAL: 38special

Personally, I see many German options in WIF. Attacking France Early, especially with optional setup rebuilds allow France 39 option. UK invasion by summer of 40 and maybe the Germans can invade Iceland as a precursor to USA invasion by then as well.

I will have to try that in my next game.
When attacking France early, I setup my RES off the Belgian border together with Rundstedt and a "reasonable" force. IF the weather is fine I reorganize the RES and attack Belgium, I always ignore Holland this early on since the US Entry chits in the '39 pool really can punish you (do this later). I gave up on Operation Seelöwe for two reasons:
1. It's really, really hard to land. If the royal navy finds your task force it's game over.
2. Even if you land some units, maintaining supply is nearly impossible.
But hey, it's fun! [8D]

Regards,
Oscar
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

this is what makes the game so engrossing. every game is like reading a detailed alternate history of WWII. and it's a page-turner you just can't put down. All that in standard vanilla World in Flames.

I could not agree more sir!![:)]
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

bosbes

Post by bosbes »

I am disappointed that no AI is included in the initial release. Hopefully later?[&:]
Lone Ranger

Return to “World in Flames”