Age Group Playing AT

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Bombur

RE: Age Group Playing AT

Post by Bombur »

mantrain

Post by mantrain »

henri51

Post by henri51 »

ORIGINAL: Stardog

Wz up?!!..

I'm 47 I love AT!!.. Trying to Love ATG.

FAVORITE WAR GAME BOARD>> I bought PANZER BLITZ at the US Navy Base PX in Subic Bay P.I. We played it the whole cruz !! Man I love that game!!!!!! I really Wish someone would due a computer war game based on AH's PANZER BLITZ /PANZER LEADER .

FAVORITE WAR GAME COMPUTER>> War game construction set 2 "TANKS" by SSI/Norm Koger. I still play it Via DOSBox.. I wish someone would re due it too!!.

SD

Panzer Blitz/Leader was also known as "Panzer Bush" due to the unrealistic primary winning tactic of running from bush to bush to avoid getting hit. AAs you probably know, a much improved version was Squad Leader (Advanced Squad Leader), which required a 3-ring binder to hold all the rules. As of yet, there has been no satisfactory computer implementation of Squad Leader, the CM and Pz Command and Close Combat series probably being the closest approximations. The problem of course is the AI.

As you may also remember, a sounding of wargamers some years ago showed that by far the most popular board wargame of all time was Avalon Hill's The Russian Campaign". I practically wore out the counters for that game, and many of you older guys probably remember some of the tutorial articles for that game in "The Avalon Hill General" magazine. I only threw out these magazines and the game as well as my SSI collection of magazines and games 2 years ago when I sold the house and moved into a condo.

Henri
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I still have my collection of "The Avalon Hill General" magazines, S&T magazines and over 200 board wargames from TAHGC, SSI and others. The Russian Campaign was also one of my favorites. One of my favorite computer wargames was Sudden Strike (published in 1999 or 2000 I believe). For a short while I had a dedicated group of gamers playing that one a lot. AI play wasn't much fun but the online play was great. Re you collection: You probably could have gotten a nice chunk of change for those things on eBay.

Just got my free copy of Panzer Command: Ostfront yesterday (owned Panzer Command: Kharkov). That was the largest game I've ever downloaded: 1.4GB!
ORIGINAL: henri51

As you may also remember, a sounding of wargamers some years ago showed that by far the most popular board wargame of all time was Avalon Hill's The Russian Campaign". I practically wore out the counters for that game, and many of you older guys probably remember some of the tutorial articles for that game in "The Avalon Hill General" magazine. I only threw out these magazines and the game as well as my SSI collection of magazines and games 2 years ago when I sold the house and moved into a condo.

Henri
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
zigzag1

Post by zigzag1 »

oufti

Post by oufti »

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Stardog

Wz up?!!..

I'm 47 I love AT!!.. Trying to Love ATG.

FAVORITE WAR GAME BOARD>> I bought PANZER BLITZ at the US Navy Base PX in Subic Bay P.I. We played it the whole cruz !! Man I love that game!!!!!! I really Wish someone would due a computer war game based on AH's PANZER BLITZ /PANZER LEADER .

FAVORITE WAR GAME COMPUTER>> War game construction set 2 "TANKS" by SSI/Norm Koger. I still play it Via DOSBox.. I wish someone would re due it too!!.

SD

Panzer Blitz/Leader was also known as "Panzer Bush" due to the unrealistic primary winning tactic of running from bush to bush to avoid getting hit. AAs you probably know, a much improved version was Squad Leader (Advanced Squad Leader), which required a 3-ring binder to hold all the rules. As of yet, there has been no satisfactory computer implementation of Squad Leader, the CM and Pz Command and Close Combat series probably being the closest approximations. The problem of course is the AI.

Henri

I bought a still in shrinkwrap, (legit one) AH TRC about 6 years ago. The thing I don't like about that game is that it tends to end in a draw with the base victory conditions. The alternate victory condition of secretly picking 3 cities was just too tough to pull off.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

... . I only threw out these magazines and the game as well as my SSI collection of magazines and games 2 years ago when I sold the house and moved into a condo.

Henri

I'm sorta surprised by this, those games were likely worth hundereds of dollars if sold on EBAY.

Ron Swanson
henri51

Post by henri51 »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

... . I only threw out these magazines and the game as well as my SSI collection of magazines and games 2 years ago when I sold the house and moved into a condo.

Henri

I'm sorta surprised by this, those games were likely worth hundereds of dollars if sold on EBAY.

I only had a few copies of Avalon Hill General, but my collection of SSI magazines was fairly complete and I still had all the games in thin boxes or still in the magazines. I also had a few other wargaming magazines like Fire and Movement. I guess I should have checked out their value before I threw them away...[&:]

I also threw away a fairly large collection of boxed wargames like The Russian Campaign, Panzer Blitz/Leader, Advanced Squad Leader, etc...[:o]

Henri
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

melmoth2

Post by melmoth2 »

50 and still playing wargames with the guy who used to beat me mercilessly when we were 12 - and yes he still wins every time.
Tetracerasviper

Post by Tetracerasviper »

Turned 48 2 weeks ago.
Falkon1313

Post by Falkon1313 »

34 here in USA. Got my start with Featherstone's books about miniatures from the library. For lack of miniatures, I drew units on index cards and cut them to the base sizes. Massive pike & shot battles and WWI-era naval campaigns took place on the carpet of my bedroom floor. Then found some books about board wargames and they seemed so much more interesting but couldn't find any of the games anywhere. Then found an ad for a mail-order wargames store in the back of a D&D magazine. There went my savings. Moved from Tactics II to Europe Aflame to Advanced Third Reich and WWII:PTO in no time, along with Arab-Israeli Wars and tons of WWIII 'modern' games. Also liked Imperium, Renegade Legion, Silent Death, Ogre, etc.

Interesting stuff. By my count we're at about:

Code: Select all

Sample Size, n:  147

Minimum:         18
 1st Quartile:    37
 2nd Quartile:    42 (Median)
 3rd Quartile:    48
 Maximum:         73
laska2k8

Post by laska2k8 »

started to play wargames on Amiga (maybe someone out there still remember...)
"Sa vida pro sa Patria"
cato12

Post by cato12 »

i remember the good old amiga very well.[:)]
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Falkon

34 here in USA. Got my start with Featherstone's books about miniatures from the library. For lack of miniatures, I drew units on index cards and cut them to the base sizes. Massive pike & shot battles and WWI-era naval campaigns took place on the carpet of my bedroom floor. Then found some books about board wargames and they seemed so much more interesting but couldn't find any of the games anywhere. Then found an ad for a mail-order wargames store in the back of a D&D magazine. There went my savings. Moved from Tactics II to Europe Aflame to Advanced Third Reich and WWII:PTO in no time, along with Arab-Israeli Wars and tons of WWIII 'modern' games. Also liked Imperium, Renegade Legion, Silent Death, Ogre, etc.

Interesting stuff. By my count we're at about:

Code: Select all

Sample Size, n:  147

Minimum:         18
 1st Quartile:    37
 2nd Quartile:    42 (Median)
 3rd Quartile:    48
 Maximum:         73

Ogre, that was a fun one. Cheap too. Those SJG games were cheap and cheerful.

Ron Swanson
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Warspite3

Post by Warspite3 »

-Warspite3-
Crinshaw

Post by Crinshaw »