Support/Need - is this important

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

56ajax

Support/Need - is this important

Post by 56ajax »

When I look at a units detail window there is a value for Support/Need eg 429/0 or 72/72 etc etc....

I would likesome advice on the implications of these values....I always thought Support value was how much support you had and the Need was how much support you needed, so in the case of 72/72, the unit has 72 and only needs 72? is this correct?

and how is the Support Value actually calculated; I know it is not a count of support elements because the maths doesnt add up...

and why does the Need value increase dramatically, well over 100% TOE, when say a unit moves...

and should i worry anyway, and if I should how do you add support...

Enlightenement please, and thanks in advance...
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
ComradeP

RE: Support/Need - is this important

Post by ComradeP »

It has an effect on overall combat effectiveness, as (for example) damaged elements will be more likely to be repaired if the support requirements are met.

The unit will try to "pull" support from its superior HQ if it can't meet the need with its own support. There's no way to manually attach more support squads to the unit (well, aside from editing its TOE in the editor) so the best way to make sure it can meet the need is to consider whether the HQ of the unit can support the need of all attached units/can make up for the difference between support in the unit as part of its TOE and its need. This is generally more of a problem for the Soviets than for the Axis, although Axis late war mobile unit support is pretty poor too.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”