My impressions

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

ijontichy

My impressions

Post by ijontichy »

I've played the tutorial campaign, and about 7 or 8 stand-alone scenarios. Here are my impressions:

1) Interface is top-notch, love the hot keys. Library needs some work, though. Where it describes terrain, you should display an image of the terrain. Obviously, the equipment section needs to be expanded.

2) Graphics look gorgeous, however I prefer function over looks. Sometimes I don't notice one of my units because it doesn't stand out from the terrain (especially infantry or small AT). Sometimes I can't tell easily whether a hex is hidden or revealed due to fog of war because the visual difference is a bit too subtle. And sometimes it's not obvious if a hex is forested (or hilly) or not, and I have to put my mouse over it to make sure.

3) The changes from Panzer General are clever and imaginative. Love the Switch function, and good that I can fire and move whenever I like rather than one immediately after the other. Seems a bit harder playing against the Soviets. This is a good thing. Haven't played against the Americans yet; I always thought they were too tough in the original PG.

4) Don't know if this is a bug or not, but when I view the battlefield after a battle, I find that right-clicking (or alt + left-clicking) on a unit doesn't bring up the unit stats like it does when you are still fighting the battle. This is something that should be added (or fixed).

5) Maus for the win!

6) Overall a very good achievement, well worth my $40 (and whatever tiny % the credit card company decides to take, ha ha ... people are way too sensitive to slight injustices).
Rudankort

RE: My impressions

Post by Rudankort »

Thanks, good feedback. I do agree with most of your critiques.
krupp_88mm

RE: My impressions

Post by krupp_88mm »

can you please add the switch function to more aa units, i love the switch function, but why can only the 88 do it? id like to be able to attack with aa vehicles and maybe like the 3.7, their inability to attack on the ground means i may never buy them, its not worth it to have them just for aa
Decisive Campaigns Case Pony

RRRH-Sr Mod Graphix ed V2: http://www.mediafire.com/?dt2wf7fc273zq5k

Return to “Panzer Corps”