Excel Empire - F Krieg vs Great Went - DBB-C 28

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

FeurerKrieg

Excel Empire - F Krieg vs Great Went - DBB-C 28

Post by FeurerKrieg »

In classic Hollywood style I figured I would start to shamelessly self promote my upcoming AAR months before it actually hits the streets. This is a closed AAR.

My opponent is going to be thegreatwent (TGW) from this very forum. I've been playing a 2x2 AE game with him as my teammate playing Japan, and it has been a great learning experience. Now I'm ready to put the learned mistakes and game mechanics to the ultimate test by playing Japan in Scen 28 of Da Big Babes WITH the REDUCED shipping capacities. I'm just a glutton for punishment I guess.

I'll try to keep production standards up to par with my WITP AAR I did, but if you plan to follow this I'd suggest you subscribe because for the next couple months posts will possibly be pretty slow as I work on plans.

Excel is my friend, and Tracker is a great helper too. With the two I'm unstoppable! Mwahaha.

Anyway - I FULLY expect you all to freely chip in with some ideas since I need all the help I can get. Broad strategic vision is what I'd like to hear about at the moment. Remember, this is scen 28 of Babes, so no extra Scen 2 divisions, AND reduced shipping AND greater logistical challenges to overcome. Given all that, I think continental US is off the table, but all the rest is still fair game. (Kidding...)

Seriously - step one is figuring out what 'Phase 2' is going to be.

My short list is the following options:
1) Ceylon - slows down counter offensive in Burma, allowing me time to take out China, with some SAA help, before Burma gets counterattacked.
2) Darwin, Perth & New Zealand - cut SLOCs for Australia, hopefully slowing counterattack into DEI. Too far from China to move units back and forth, so China will probably not have a chance of being defeated.
3) Isolate Pearl - Go for Midway, Line Islands, etc. to delay the start of US Pacific offensive as long as possible and then create as may amphib operations for the US as possible since each one presents opportunities for mistakes as well as burns time.

Other things that should be added to that list? Any favorites you have for the list?

Watch this space for further updates on my plans. If you are a excel, logistics and production fan I'm sure you will be want to contribute or take notes so you don't repeat my mistakes.

Picture #1: The location of the opposing HQ's in the south Denver suburbs.

Attachments
HQmapIRL.jpg
HQmapIRL.jpg (262.55 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
FeurerKrieg

RE: Excel Empire - F Krieg vs Great Went - Da Big Babes 28

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Engineers -
If you missed the post on the main forum, Engineers are a bit different in Da Babes. Here is a table I made to help me keep track.

Attachments
Engineers.jpg
Engineers.jpg (79.69 KiB) Viewed 588 times
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Planning continues.

This Babes mod certainly requires some serious analysis of where the different types of engineers are. There is a real shortage of units that have embedded combat engineers (as in the type that can reduce forts), so I'm going to have to think hard about where to send them.

So far the plan is to hit Manilla with KB, and then split it into 2 groups - one to head south to cover the invasion of Timor and one to head towards Malaysia to cover the offensive into Palembang. Ambon will probably be a turn one landing, Mersing on day 2, Palembang maybe day 10?

Luzon will get light treatment. Enough units to keep the defenders bottled up, while a bunch of Artillery from Manchukuo comes in and shells the defenders daily until I can come back and clean it up.

Singapore has to go down FAST so that those units can load up and head right on to Ceylon. The two parts of KB will recombine when Singers falls and then go to cover that invasion. I still need to work on the timetable, but I'm hoping to be sailing for Ceylon no later than Feb 1. Hence the need for a Mersing invasion.

PM will be an early target as well, with back fill into the Solomons after Horn and PM are taken. Fiji and Noumea are possible phase two ancillary targets, we'll see how they look at that point in time.

Darwin is another maybe.
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

AAR's need flavor in my opinion. What would you all like to see? I'm thinking about tracking sub kills and keeping a leaderboard of the subs like I did before.

I also was toying with the notion of picking 1 ship of each class, even the little guys, and make TROMs for them. That should be maybe 10-15 ships that I would need to track. Maybe I could get narrative with those ships when they are involved in action.

Thoughts?
FeurerKrieg

Aircraft R&D

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Finally finished all my air production plans. I won't post the 'production maps' since they are big and include several worksheets, but I basically built in all my expected factory changes and such so that I can see what the overall demand for engines will be. As I need to tweak things during the war, the sheet is built so that it will update all the follow-on effects of any changes.

I will post these two lists - here are all the R&D factories after my initial round of changes on day 1. The plan is to switch all R&D of a given model over to the next model in the chain just before the current R&D model becomes available.

[center]Image
Naval R&D

Army R&D[/center]
PaxMondo

RE: Aircraft R&D

Post by PaxMondo »

PDU ON or OFF?

<subscribed>
&nbsp;
Looking forward to this one ...
Pax
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

PDU on - the only way to play.

It bad enough I have to deal with reduced shipping capacities, 'supply eating' squads, and no Scen 2 goodies - I'm not about to give up my better-than-historical air forces.

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

A few comments:

1) Definitely looking forward to this...

2) Hilarious title (anyone remember the "Is that even a game?" thread)...

3) Allied HQ is located at Hair Unlimited of Denver?

4) Phase 2 is, IMHO, all about what you want to stop. Your phase 2 target, if taken, can nudge the Allies to look elsewhere (or, force them to focus on the Phase 2 target to the exclusion of other locales, depending on where you go and how you play it).
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Hi Criptop!

Return comments -
1) Thanks and me too!
2) Yes, my wife always says "Are you working?" because I use excel at work all the time. I reply "no - I'm playing the most fun game ever".
3) Actually a condo/apartment building right next door.
4) I want to stop the counteroffensive in Burma as long as possible, so that is why I'm leaning towards Ceylon. I realize it won't hold forever, but I think that will buy me a few extra months.

FeurerKrieg

Aircraft Prod

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Still plugging away here. I almost have finished my infantry plans, and then will follow that up with all the support units, most importantly construction engineers and making sure my torp bombers have access to torpedoes.

Since I already posted the R&D changes, I thought I would also post production changes. Most factories I bump up to 30 so that I can count on them to produce at least 1 plane a day. If I end up with enough in the pool I can always shut them off. I won't list all the factories since all that happens with them is increases to get them to 30 (or 60 or 90) but here are some of the changes from one model to another.

Nates @ Harbin changed to A6M2
Nates @ Maebashi changed to Ki-43-Ic
Ida @ Gifu changed to Ki-21-IIa
Thalia @ Gifu changed to MC-21 Sally transport
Topsy @ Hamamatsu change to L3Y2 Tina transport
Pete @ Nagasaki changed to C5M2 Babs recon
Sonia @ Tokyo - haven't decided what to change this too just yet - if nothing else I'll switch it to Kates so can get those repaired at a rate of 2 per day instead of just one.

Zeros and Oscars will continue to get cranked up through January.
FeurerKrieg

Infantry Plans

Post by FeurerKrieg »

This and the next few posts will be the charts detailing where I currently intend to send infantry units. I'd love to hear any questions, concerns or criticisms of these plans. I left the headers off these charts, but from left to right you are seeing Parent Unit-Unit-Current Location-AV-Target-Notes (if any).

First up is the big one - Malaysia
[center]Image[/center]
[center]Malaysia Infantry Plans[/center]

Notes:
The green shaded units are the ones that start with the warp move. The Mersing units will stop a hex or two offshore from Mersing because we have HR of no turn 1 landings on Mersing. The Imp Guards will come along via railroad, and most everyone else will land in Khota Bharu or Mersing depending on the situation when they arrive. 21st has to wait a bit on units to fill the garrison requirements at Shanghai, and 38th Div needs to capture Hong Kong before it can move out. But most of the others are ready to ship - they just need some boats to load up in.

The 1st Raiders will move to Bangkok and airdrop into Port Blair.
FeurerKrieg

Infantry Plans pt2

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Next significant area: The Philippine Islands

[center]Image[/center]

Notes:
The 1st and 3rd SNLF will airdrop onto Aparri and Vigan, and then the various Sasebo units will come in ASAP to ensure the Allies at Tuegugaro(sp.) don't kick the paratroops out. Main airbases will be at San Fernando and Vigan in the north, and Lucena and Legaspi in the south.
On Mindinao, the only base that can produce supply is Zamboanga, so I intend to use the warp move 91st Nav Garrison to grab that base early and then do nothing on Mindinao until after the DEI is secured or Port Moresby is secured.

Overall plan at Luzon is to get the Allies into either Clark or Manilla (or both) and then continually air bombard as well as bringing in a lot of Manchukuo artillery to shell the defenders until some infantry units are available to finish the job.
FeurerKrieg

Infantry Plans pt3

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Next is the Northern/Middle DEI area.

[center]Image[/center]

Notes:
Rather than use the 143rd Battalion to take Vict Point and Tavoy area, I will utilize the warp move to drop them into Singkawang to get an early airbase south (game map) of Singapore. Two of the parts of the Battalion will then load up and move on to Billiton to setup an airbase there as well.

Two SNLF units will move into Hanoi and Lang Son to allow the 21st Mix and 4th Mixed to leave, join up with the 65th Brigade and then land on north Java very early. They may not take Batavia, but my hope is they can start wearing down the Dutch units, and maybe even kill some aviation support squads. The units at Miri and Kuching may also go to Java early on.
FeurerKrieg

Infantry Plans pt4

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Southern DEI

[center]Image[/center]

The key plan here is that these two groups of smaller units will move as follows:
The Ambon group will then move on to Koepang and then onto Denapcar (if I misspelled that, it is a small island south of Java).
The Manado group will then hit Kendari and then Makassar.

These moves together should provide a southern isolation of Java and the interior of the DEI (Balikpapan, Tarakan).
FeurerKrieg

Infantry Plans pt5

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Pacific

[center]Image[/center]

Notes:
I'm not so worried about expanding deep into the Pacific, I think I can come back to do that during the summer if the US are slow to reinforce. However, of utmost importance is taking Port Moresby ASAP so I can take some of the north Australia bases to further protect the DEI from an Australian counterattack later.

The unit that usually goes to Bataan Island will head to Guam. The 144th is going to head to Malaysia so the 55th Division will be largely intact. Most of the forces will head to Rabaul and then on to PM as fast as possible. I will also buy and send a Manchukuo infantry regiment type unit down that way in case it is needed. Pretty much everything going to Rabaul will move on to PM. Once PM is secure, I may take some of those units and hit Fiji and/or Noumea.

The two units at Jaluit are still unassigned, but once I get some ships there I can send them maybe to Canton Island. I have to be careful that close to Pearl because KB will probably be in the DEI and Bay of Bengal until summer, so US carriers can sink my transports if they show up at the right time.
Cribtop

RE: Infantry Plans pt5

Post by Cribtop »

One thing I'd change in my current game would be having an intact 55th Div. Other units can do what the 144th can without the downside of a divided division in Burma. It is, however, fun to say "South Seas Detachment."
FeurerKrieg

Ship conversions

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Here's my ship conversion chart I made to help me sort all these options out:

I know people debate some of these things often, but here's some of my thoughts for what they are worth.

AG/AKE/AD/AS/AR: I'm going to make about 25-35 AKE's. They can reload torps just as well as AD, with the benefit of loading guns and CAGs too. The Lima class has enough capacity to load every weapon aside from Yamato/Mushashi's guns. In terms of not having as many Lima's in the xAK role, the Lima has a load efficiency of 64.7% (capacity versus tonnage) which is about 2% less than the average xAK. In other words, on capacity to tonnage, they are below average so might as well use them for something else. There are some AG's that make good AKEs and they will be converted/upgraded when available in June 42.
I'll make some AS and AD as well, but those will mostly be placed where I put AR's which will be a smaller set of bases that are located to be emergency repair stations.
I may make a couple AG's and AGP's as well, but I'm still considering that. They are cheaper so maybe I'll make 5-10 and put them on the very front lines to keep the destroyers well armed.

In general, I want to make extensive use of tenders because of two reasons. One, there aren't a ton of engineers to go around and two, I'd just as soon not build up lots of great ports for the Allies to make use of later in the war. Let them bring in their own tenders.

AV: The Sanyo has a better plane capacity so I'll go with that one if I need more AV's.

PB: The Kiso wins in my book. Slower speed yes, but we have quite a lot of faster PBs and DD's around for those convoys that need to move quick. Most of the converted Kisos will be on resource convoy duty and will be pared with slower ships anyway. Plus the ASW rating of 3 is better than 2.

ACM: I'll make a bunch of To'su ACM's to keep the few mines I have from degrading away. The To'sus don't have much lift capacity anyway, so it makes sense to put them on minefield duty.

TK: I certainly plan to switch some Std-C and Std-E over to tankers later on. The E's are nice because they are the most efficient cargo/tonnage TK ship of the convertible classes. The type E is 100%, versus the next best one, the type C at 98.3%.

AKV: I intend to make a couple Lima class AKVs. Even if they just sit in a dock for a long time, I like to know I have the tool available if I need it. In WITP games there were times I wished I had the ability bring in some planes without crating them first. And in the late war, I can imagine there might be time I'll want to bring in some kamikazes into airfields with no support so they can fly their one way mission.

That's all for now - currently working on getting the exact counts of each tender I want on 12/41 so I can get the right ships heading for the shipyards. I'm sure after the bullets start flying shipyards won't be so plentiful.
FeurerKrieg

RE: Ship conversions

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Hi all -

I managed to finish mapping out where all the support units (LCUs) would be going. Now I just need to calculate shipping needs and then move the right ships where they need to go. All the initial attacks are set with aviation support, construction and where needed, torpedo ordinance support.

A few steps closer every week....
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Im following this one FK. Just started the same scenario vs Hoplosternum
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

Picture #1: The location of the opposing HQ's in the south Denver suburbs.

I lived near there on Village Road in Cherry Hills in the 60's and 70's. Denver was the nicest city I ever lived. Being able to buy 3.2 beer at 18 was a plus.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Return to “After Action Reports”