Customized Grand Campaign

Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem is a highly enhanced new release of Close Combat, using the latest Close Combat engine with many additional improvements. Its design is based on the critically acclaimed Close Combat – A Bridge Too Far, originally developed by Atomic Games, as well as the more recent Close Combat: The Longest Day. This is the most ambitious and most improved of the new Close Combat releases, but along with all the enhancements it retains the same addicting tactical action found in the original titles! Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem comes with expanded force pools, reserve & static battlegroups, a troop point buying system, ferry and assault crossings, destructible bridges, static forces and much more! Also included in this rebuild are 60+ battles, operations and campaigns including a new enhanced Grand Campaign!
Priapus1

RE: Customized Grand Campaign

Post by Priapus1 »

ORIGINAL: DasHoff

Do you guys think maybe the allied paratroop stats (morale, experience, intelligence etc) will need to be buffed to cope with all these german buffs?

The allied paratroopers are already excellent troops. They shouldn't have much difficulty fending off German infantry BGs. As shrecken says, in the "vanilla" GC the Germans are desperately in need of better troops. As for the Brits in the north, dig in and hold out until the shermans reach you.
DasHoff

Post by DasHoff »

i've only gotten to the panther counterattack down south (start of sept 19th?) in an mp campaign; my opponent and i have probably stopped and started the GC like 5 times due to the never ending line of patches, lol. so yeah i'm not the expert on balance
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

i've only gotten to the panther counterattack down south (start of sept 19th?) in an mp campaign; my opponent and i have probably stopped and started the GC like 5 times due to the never ending line of patches, lol. so yeah i'm not the expert on balance

Yeah, I apologise for the number of new releases. I'm still getting to grips with editing the data and also playing MP campaigns of my own and making changes when I see errors and imbalances. I also wasn't aware that anyone was using this and was mainly using this thread as somewhere to guide my MP opponents to download the mod. Now me and tigercub are working together I'll try and make things a little more professional with less frequent major releases.
DasHoff

Post by DasHoff »

ORIGINAL: Priapus1

Yeah, I apologise for the number of new releases. I'm still getting to grips with editing the data and also playing MP campaigns of my own and making changes when I see errors and imbalances. I also wasn't aware that anyone was using this and was mainly using this thread as somewhere to guide my MP opponents to download the mod. Now me and tigercub are working together I'll try and make things a little more professional with less frequent major releases.

no, I was talking about official patches; we haven't tired your mod. though looking at this thread, i think we may be prepared to restart our gc ONE MORE TIME, in order to play with your mod, haha
D.Ilse

Post by D.Ilse »

do i need to reinstall your mods after the mega patch?
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

i agree with andrew.....the allies in LSA seem to be ok as far as firepower and resources. IMO the germans still need to be played on recruit to get any chance of a good H2H battle.
by adding to / upgrading SOME of the better german BG's as outlined above, IMO LSA would be more playable and is still very close to historical by my accounts.

Priapus...Tigercub...id like to add that KG walther also had Von der Heydte's 4th battalion FJ Regiment 6 with it. they were very well equipted and had a very experienced veteran cadre of men to help with new FJ men that they were saddled with in this campaign. VdH's battalion had 81 mm mortors, a mortorized a/t gun co. , and air defence MG co., and recon co. and an engineer co. so KG waltther could use some beefing up too in your mod IMO.
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

ORIGINAL: STIENER

i agree with andrew.....the allies in LSA seem to be ok as far as firepower and resources. IMO the germans still need to be played on recruit to get any chance of a good H2H battle.
by adding to / upgrading SOME of the better german BG's as outlined above, IMO LSA would be more playable and is still very close to historical by my accounts.

Priapus...Tigercub...id like to add that KG walther also had Von der Heydte's 4th battalion FJ Regiment 6 with it. they were very well equipted and had a very experienced veteran cadre of men to help with new FJ men that they were saddled with in this campaign. VdH's battalion had 81 mm mortors, a mortorized a/t gun co. , and air defence MG co., and recon co. and an engineer co. so KG waltther could use some beefing up too in your mod IMO.

Thanks Steiner. I'd like the mod to adhere somewhat to reality, so any suggestions on what BGs should consist of would be appreciated as my knowledge is mostly limited to the eastern front.
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

ORIGINAL: D.Ilse

do i need to reinstall your mods after the mega patch?

Yes, you will have to place the files in their respective folders again.
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

Priapus...
sorry...my info on VdH Regiment is wrong........VdH was in command of FJ Regiment 6 which had 4 battalions. all 4 battailons were there. but they were under strength......totally only about 1000 men at the start of the campaign but reinforced through out the whole campaign. the 4th batallion was the heavy weapon battalion and was very well equiped with an 81 mm mortor co. , a mortorized a/t gun co. , and air defence MG co., and recon co. and an engineer co.
sorry about the confusion......IMO KG walther could use some more FJ MG teams, some engineer squads, and some a/t guns to reflect this. a few more shreaks too. plus FJ high morale.
VdH also supported KG jungwirth later in the campaign....so jungwirth could use some of these squads as well.
Overkenshin

Post by Overkenshin »

Hello chaps.

I present you with a gift from our good friend Davidsfx.

http://www.mediafire.com/?j4gk9ali57mhbc2

He has kindly converted his new elements file aka Real Walls mod from TLD to LSA for us.

Here is the link for his TLD thread in the ccs forum which explains in depth the changes he has made.

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/mo ... pic&t=9150

Ive only tested 2 battles so far but it seems to work very well and even produced some interesting and quite smart behavior in the soldiers.

David did this for LSA even though he doesn't have the game.

A huge thank you David from all of us. You are a great guy and a real asset to the CC community. [:)]

tigercub

Post by tigercub »

It looks like i have had some good inprovements with the mortars testing today...with Fox.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
davidss

Post by davidss »

Thanks Overkenshin, glad to hear it seems to be working out ok
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

thanks davidss......it should make a huge improvement to the game...no more swiss cheese walls [:)]
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

Doing some quick testing with the new elements file and I must say I'm really impressed with the new soldier behaviour. Only being able to exit buildings via doors and windows is a huge improvement. However, I still appear to be able to shoot through building corners, even when the terrain description is Stone Wall.
kweniston

Post by kweniston »

Following this operation closely, thanks for working on this. (Btw off-topic, loved Songkran in CM ;))
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

ORIGINAL: STIENER

Priapus...
sorry...my info on VdH Regiment is wrong........VdH was in command of FJ Regiment 6 which had 4 battalions. all 4 battailons were there. but they were under strength......totally only about 1000 men at the start of the campaign but reinforced through out the whole campaign. the 4th batallion was the heavy weapon battalion and was very well equiped with an 81 mm mortor co. , a mortorized a/t gun co. , and air defence MG co., and recon co. and an engineer co.
sorry about the confusion......IMO KG walther could use some more FJ MG teams, some engineer squads, and some a/t guns to reflect this. a few more shreaks too. plus FJ high morale.
VdH also supported KG jungwirth later in the campaign....so jungwirth could use some of these squads as well.

I'd like to change the reinforcements but still don't really understand how it works. Are the figures directly below a BGs initial force pool in FPools the reinforcements for that BG? Some seem to receive some strange reinforcements. A lot of KM troops reinforcing panzer BGs.

edit: ok, I think i've got the hang of it. please provide as much info about reinforcements as possible, because I have absolutely no idea where and what time units arrived and which BGs they reinforced.
xe5

Post by xe5 »

Some general suggestions:

When playing an edited Grand Campaign the overall victory conditions are based on which side has the most VLs. If you want to retain the historical scoring (Your progress is better/worse than your historical counterpart), the edited Grand Campaign file has to be copied from /Games/Save to /Data/Campaign where it replaces the original GC file.

When 'evolving' a mod its a good idea to practice some sort of version control.

There is a 'Mods and Scenarios' forum. It supports .zip attachments so mod files can be bundled rather than downloaded individually from an outside website.

There are a couple of simple mod installer tools available, berndn's automated installer being "a must have for any mod maker".
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to have an installer prepared by the end of today. I'm releasing things piece meal to give people an opportunity to give feedback. This mod is certainly not a finished product and could be considered to be a "beta" at present. Once we're happy with things we'll make a proper release.
xe5

Post by xe5 »

ORIGINAL: xe5

When playing an edited Grand Campaign the overall victory conditions are based on which side has the most VLs. If you want to retain the historical scoring (Your progress is better/worse than your historical counterpart), the edited Grand Campaign file has to be copied from /Games/Save to /Data/Campaign where it replaces the original GC file.

edit - from /Games/Battles to /Data/Campaign

Its occasionally useful for the user to know if he's got yesterday's beta or today's.
Priapus1

Post by Priapus1 »

Each time I make an addition I add an edit to the original post with a description of the changes.

Return to “Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem”