Looking for a new projector

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

HintJ

Looking for a new projector

Post by HintJ »

Anyone here use projectors for playing games and can make a recommendation?

I'm using an old dinosaur right now that can only handle 1024x768. It is pretty nice, I suppose, but it was over $4,000 back in the day (late 90's.)

It seems recently the prices have become quite reasonable: around $600 USD for something much better. Here's what I'm looking at currently, with WXGA (1280 x 800):
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-EX7200.htm

If I get a new one w/better resolution, maybe I could try out some flight sims. Anybody have any experience w/some of the newer projectors?

Currently w/a little bit of anti-aliasing, 1024x768 isn't too bad:

Attachments
P7020027.jpg
P7020027.jpg (299.68 KiB) Viewed 249 times
"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
junk2drive

RE: Looking for a new projector

Post by junk2drive »

You should buy a new wall phone first.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Now why would I want to do that? This sucker is built to last, made during the At&T monopoly, before consumer choices and all the Chinese crap imports, and has outlasted ever single cellphone you can imagine . . .

Attachments
P7030008.jpg
P7030008.jpg (101.78 KiB) Viewed 249 times
"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

We have a black desk model for the kids to play with. Pre plug on the end of the wire too.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I've been using my 58" Samsung plasma via HDMI for this sort of thing. Picture quality rocks, DVD's, games etc. Only hassel is lugging the Qosmio X505-850 up and down the stairs.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
fmonster

Post by fmonster »

I almost shot coffee through my nose when I read this! Well played, Sir![:D]
Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I've been using my 52" Samsung plasma via HDMI for this sort of thing. Picture quality rocks, DVD's, games etc. Only hassel is lugging the Qosmio X505-850 up and down the stairs.

Interesting, but I think I'd pay a bit more for a plasma screen and it would be smaller. The real advantage would be no bulb life issues. Also, I commend you on your choice of laptops: I've got a Qosmio X505-860, but I mainly use it for games like Arma2 or anything else really demanding.
- Savielly Tartakower
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: HintJ

Now why would I want to do that? This sucker is built to last, made during the At&T monopoly, before consumer choices and all the Chinese crap imports, and has outlasted ever single cellphone you can imagine . . .

It's not often that two people get in good shots like you two did. Well done.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Ive used 52" LCD 1920x1080 for two and half years through hdmi. Never had any issues. Currently playing WITE and WITP with it. Big screen really brings the best out of maps.  
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
parusski

Post by parusski »

Currently I am attempting to purchase a 110ft x 65ft drive in screen to play games on. Not sure where I will put it though.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

I cannot stop laughing! [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

Parusski: What's wrong with your phone ? It looks just like mine in the kitchen. I think J2D works in GTE sales.
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: HintJ

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I've been using my 52" Samsung plasma via HDMI for this sort of thing. Picture quality rocks, DVD's, games etc. Only hassel is lugging the Qosmio X505-850 up and down the stairs.

Interesting, but I think I'd pay a bit more for a plasma screen and it would be smaller. The real advantage would be no bulb life issues. Also, I commend you on your choice of laptops: I've got a Qosmio X505-860, but I mainly use it for games like Arma2 or anything else really demanding.

If you have the blank wall space I suppose the projection camera would be a good option. I looked into those for other reasons than the Samsung plasma.

The Qosmio has proven to be a really good choice. I've had it for about 20 months now and I did have some trouble around the end of the defualt warranty period which was reparied under warranty. I purchased the extended warranty. They were really good people to work with, I'll definately consider buying from them again.

I play all my games on it, but I think the only ones that really stress it much are the Left 4 Dead series of games.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Hentzau

Post by Hentzau »

Those old phones were quality built gear, wish I still had my last one. If I knew that everything after would be foreign crap I would have kept it. :)
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Graphics are made up of lots of pixles.

I wonder if the big screen would make the graphics very pixilated /

-

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Alex Fiedler

Post by Alex Fiedler »

I recently purchased a BENQ MW512 DLP Projector, which is also WXGA (1280 x 800), and also 3D-ready (just need to get the glasses).

Watching 720p content on it has been great!
Very nice picture, and very bright.
walsh_Fever

Post by walsh_Fever »

In addition to the picture quality (LCD, DLP, etc.) also examine the price of a replacement bulb which can be extremely pricey.
Jack D Walsh
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Wait, is that shag carpet I see on the floor? Oh, the humanity! If that's green shag carpeting from the 70's on the floor, I'll be bold and suggest that you have at least one other purchase to make(besides the phone, lol) before you get a new projector.
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

Return to “General Discussion”