AI Comments

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Endur

AI Comments

Post by Endur »

Some comments on AI

1) AI builds far too many garrisons and not enough infantry corps. In a 1.08 game, the AI Russia has over 150 factors of infantry in garrisons and no infantry corps. Only cavalry and artillery corps are on the map. This is while at war with France for 3+ years. Other countries are similar. Also, why max out home capital garrisons instead of putting corps into the field? Mobile forces > static forces.

2) AI overcommits to defend owned minor countries. When the AI does have corps, its not uncommon to send all the corps to the minor country(s) and leave few corps at home, even though at war with a major power. Its almost like the AI sends forces to conquer the minor. Then never recalls the forces for other duty, instead just leaving them there.

3) GB AI builds too much cavalry. I don't know how many times I killed the British cav corps after it raided France. Seems like every 3-6 months. Instead of cav, manpower should be spent on inf corps, and money on ships and allies. Brit that buys cav is a conquered Brit.

4) AI chit choice ... at times, AI is too quick to use esc assault in vain attempt to cause extra casualties. Particularly when capital is in enemy hands.

5) Stacking corps. AI sometimes stacks corps, but its rare. I've seen Prussia, when expecting a French invasion, stack its corps in one spot. Most other AI countries don't do this, however.

6) Allies stacking corps. When AU/PR/RS/GB are at war with France, why don't allies combine stacks to create an allied stack that is larger than the Grande Armee? Why is Russia not moving troops through AU/PR?

7) Diplomacy AI (DOWs, alliances, etc.) seems good. Its more of following through on the situation that is lacking.

8) Russia war with Sweden. Several times, I've seen Russia conquer Finland, move a stack of corps one area into Sweden (to maintain the war). Blockade the swedish port. Then stop. Why not finish the conquest of Sweden?

9) Russian Cossacks. Every once in a while, the Russian cossacks do a brilliant job of raiding supply lines and/or conquering ungarrisoned minor countries. But most of the time Russia is conquered while the cossacks are asleep.

10) AI Lose a battle, then fight again and lose again, then fight again until wiped out. The AI, once it does decide to fight for something, has a habit of fighting and fighting until wiped out. Both on land and sea (channel, for example).
At a certain both, it might be better to conserve forces instead of fighting.

11) Surrender AI. AI has a habit of waging war until home capital is captured and army is wiped out. While fighting to the last man is a good strategy. it can be useful to conserve some forces for future wars. Does the AI distinguish between a conditional surrender and an unconditional surrender?

Dancing Bear

RE: AI Comments

Post by Dancing Bear »

Excellent comments Endur. Some good observations here.
Endur

RE: AI Comments

Post by Endur »

Another AI comment: AI does not build minor free state forces.

I saw free state Egypt, Sweden, Denmark, Hesse etc. not build any free state forces. I confirmed that the AI was not building forces by wiping out the minor free state corps, but leaving the country in the control of the AI.

I did see Saxony build a garrison of five factors once, but then Prussia stopped adding forces to Saxony.

Also, I saw wierd things by the Turkish AI with regards to use of feudal corps, Austrian AI with regards to use of insurrection corps, and Russian with regards to cossacks.

Conquering provinces: I've seen the Spanish AI recapture one of its lost provinces. However, Russia AI ignored 5 undefended provinces on its border (As/Pr ceded provinces to France) while at war with France.

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”