IJA Shipping Eng Squad

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

FeurerKrieg

IJA Shipping Eng Squad

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Hi all - I'm getting ready for a Da Babes game, and was wondering what the IJA Shipping Eng Squads do? According to Tracker they are not providing Naval Support, and they don't provide AV and they don't come up as Engineers. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Sardaukar

RE: IJA Shipping Eng Squad

Post by Sardaukar »

They provide faster unloading/loading function. In sense, they are stevedores. US also has loads of similar units in DaBigBabes, very useful helping tu unload in small ports. 
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg
Hi all - I'm getting ready for a Da Babes game, and was wondering what the IJA Shipping Eng Squads do? According to Tracker they are not providing Naval Support, and they don't provide AV and they don't come up as Engineers. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
DaBabes uses some AEaster-egg code that Tracker may not pick up. If you look in the editor, there is a check box called Shore Party. This may be applied to many different Squad and EngSquad devices. It allows those devices to provide the same load/unload bonuses that a NavSup device would provide. But as Sarduakar says, they are modeled as stevedores. Thus they cannot give repair or rearm bonuses like NavSup.

There are other AEaster-egg code things going on in DaBabes, with respect to Eng devices, that Tracker may also not pick up. Can explain if you wish.
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Thanks guys - that sounds easy enough to understand. Shore Party devices provide the load/unload bonus of NavSup, but no repair or rearm bonus. Cool.

JWE - Absolutely would love to hear about any other Easter eggs - especially as they applied to the good guys aka Japan.

Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Feurer Kreig -

Your gonna love Da Babes - if any questions, just ask and the Babes Team will cheerfully fill you in!

Babes Loyalist Mac
LAV-25 2147
JWE

Post by JWE »

Thanks guys - that sounds easy enough to understand. Shore Party devices provide the load/unload bonus of NavSup, but no repair or rearm bonus. Cool.

JWE - Absolutely would love to hear about any other Easter eggs - especially as they applied to the good guys aka Japan.
It’s not really an AEaster egg, but it’s something that’s not documented and which is used in babes a lot. And they apply to both sides equally, including the 'good guys' [;)]

Engineer squad types with anti-armor (A/A) of 1 or less cannot reduce forts.
Engineer or Squad device types with anti-soft (A/S) of 8 or less cannot add to AV.
Engineer or Squad device types with shore party (S/P) switch set can give load/unload bonuses.

So there’s lot of different kind of Eng and Sqd types that can get made up that have different capabilities. Can make up eng labor sqds that are Sqd types (not Eng types) that can’t do much of anything except consume supply and take up room on troopships. There’s about 32 different interesting combinations one can devise.

Eng vs Sqd – determines if it can build or not (Eng can, Sqd cannot, no matter what it is ‘named’)
A/A – determines if an Eng type can help reduce forts or not.
A/S – determines if an Eng or Sqd type can add to assault value or not.
S/P – determines if an Eng or Sqd type can give load/unload bonus or not.

Engineers can always ‘build’, but their other options are:
A/A - y - y - y - y - n - n - n - n (can they reduce forts)
A/S - y - y - n - n - y - y - n - n (can they assault)
S/P - y - n - y - n - y - n - y - n (can they load/unload)
Squads cannot ‘build’ or reduce forts, so their options are:
A/S - y - y - n - n (can they assault)
S/P - y - n - y - n (can they load/unload)

So there is a mix of devices that range from SeaBees that can do everything, to Constr Labor that can't do anything but eat and take up room on troopships. Babes engineering Bns (for both sides) are a mix of different devices, such that each Bn has its actual manpower count and as close to its actual capabilities as possible. You will find it much harder to reduce forts in Babes, and much harder to build things until the SeaBees start coming on line. Unfortunately, Japan has a lot of 'termite' squads in its eng units, so they are worth way less than in stock. There are some high value engineer units, but not all that many. Probably won't want to use them as combat assault units unless you really have to. Woof !!
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Thanks much for the info JWE - that will help a lot. I'm trying to plan out where I want to put all these various types of engineers/support units, and this info will help to make sure I don't put the wrong units in the wrong places.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

So if I am understanding, simply checking the 'shore party' box could turn any squad in game into a ship loading/unloading bucket brigade?
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

So if I am understanding, simply checking the 'shore party' box could turn any squad in game into a ship loading/unloading bucket brigade?

Shark7 -

My understanding is "yes", this was intentionally left to player discretion.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan
ORIGINAL: Shark7

Shark7 -

My understanding is "yes", this was intentionally left to player discretion.

Mac

So the Marines can upset the stevedore's union in Auckland!?
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

So for those that don't already know - here's how this plays out for the Japanese units:

Attachments
Engineers.jpg
Engineers.jpg (79.69 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

So for those that don't already know - here's how this plays out for the Japanese units:

Fuerer Kreig -

Thanks for the chart - very useful!

Also:

Original:

Harry! I love the humor - and great to hear from you, Sir!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Original:

Harry! I love the humor - and great to hear from you, Sir!

Mac

Actually, Wellington. [;)]
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Thread resurrection.

In DBB the Japanese player gets a bunch of "Shipping Engineer Regiments" and "Shipping Engineer companies".

Example:

However, there seems to be a glitch - the companies should be sub-units of the regiments and the regiments should be formed by recombining the companies.

See War Department Handbook on Japanese Military Forces :
Shipping engineer regiments. These units are the barge operators in the Japanese Army. They are equipped with the necessary landing craft and equipment for amphibious operations and movement of supplies and men. Organizational strength approximates 1,200 officers and enlisted men, divided into a headquarters and 3 companies of several sections each. A lieutenant colonel normally commands. The regiment is equipped with 150 to 200 landing craft of all types.

It appears that in the editor, the "parent unit" has not been set for the company-sized units to indicate the regiment they belong to. Easy to fix in the editor.
Attachments
ShipEng.jpg
ShipEng.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Does the AI ever combine units?

To put that another way, do I need to fix this in my scenario which is intended for allied play against the AI, or is that a waste of time?
"I am Alfred"
Yaab

Re: IJA Shipping Eng Squad

Post by Yaab »

Does Shore Party tag help in faster unloading of your units at enemy-held bases?

BTW, it would be nice if Shore Party devices, or units having them, were tagged properly on the unit screen i.e.

IJA Shipping Eng Squad (7)12 SP (7 disabled, 12 active, SP=Shore Party tag)
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Yes, think stevedores/longshoremen.
Attachments
Mt Fuji reflecting in Lake Tanuki, Fujinomiya Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.jpg
Mt Fuji reflecting in Lake Tanuki, Fujinomiya Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.jpg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Thanks!
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Yaab wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:28 pmThanks!
You are most welcome!
Attachments
help your friend on a diet by replacing the light in their fridge with an air horn.jpg
help your friend on a diet by replacing the light in their fridge with an air horn.jpg (34.1 KiB) Viewed 431 times
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”