Forts

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

sabre1

Forts

Post by sabre1 »

Has anyone noticed that when you have a fortified position and then move another unit onto that position, your unit loses it's fortified position?

If this is a feature please explain it to me. Thanks.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
MichaelCooney

RE: Forts

Post by MichaelCooney »

I don't see anything in the code that'd intentionally do this.  I'll check it out...
Boku Strategy Games, Developer of Combat Command and Horse & Musket
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Has anyone noticed that when you have a fortified position and then move another unit onto that position, your unit loses it's fortified position?

I have not noticed this, but did a quick scenario builder test just in case. Seems the fortifications still stick fine. It's possible you got hit by an artillery strike on that hex, or other event which caused you to lose your fort levels?
King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I will check again, this is in a PBEM game with PirateJock. Malmede. I'm the allies.

Does the unit that moves onto one of your fortified units gain the fortified bonus?

Thanks!
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Fortification works on a turn-by-turn basis, similar to TOAW. Each turn you are digging in (defend posture) you gain a level. That is, as long as you don't run into any problems. So each unit works independently, though IIRC there was some sort of bonus with engineers related or something, I'll go and re-check on those units.

PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

ORIGINAL: sabre1
I will check again, this is in a PBEM game with PirateJock. Malmede. I'm the allies.
Now that's useful to know ... don't suppose you could let me know which units [;)]

Cheers
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Well I have some units and when you display fort levels I have some at "various" point levels, and as soon as I move another unit to those hexes, the fort level goes to "0".

This is in a PBEM game against Pirate Jock.

You would think that if a fort is built and you move other units into that hex that they "should" get the benefit of the fort.

Pirate jock and I are playing Malmede.
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

From the Manual, p42 ...
To dig in a unit must pass a standard QC. Passage of the QC gives the unit a +1 Fortification Level. If an Engineer unit is in the hex, 1 (sic - this should be 10) is subtracted from the QC die roll.
Cheers
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Pirate Jock,

These units are already dug in, and you move a new unit into that hex. Do both units then lose the fort status? This is what I'm seeing.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

There is a short cut key to show the fort levels.

It will only show the fort level of the unit at the top of the stack  ( at least I think so).

You need to check each unit separately.

-

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Wouldn't a unit recieve the fort benefit if it moves onto the fortified position? I can just see that scenario. No, no guys, go dig your own fort. we like seeing pretty explosions, and body parts flying around. I know I'm just barking up the wrong tree, but PirateJock has all the units coming after me, and I need to DIG IN NOW! [:D]
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

I think fort or fortification is maybe the wrong word for what the units are doing - they are digging in. Initially a foxhole and the longer they stay there the better it gets, i.e. more protection from digging deeper, roof on, sandbagged etc. New units turn up - they need to dig their own holes.

At the moment the only pre-prepared fortified position in the game is Fort.

Cheers
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. [:(]
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Hmm, looks like there is some confusion.

There is a terrain modifier which is called a FORT, and then there are FORTIFICATION levels, which works a bit differently.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Take El Gettar:

You start with the Germans and Italians dug in. If I get reinforcements and they move to those dug in positions wouldn't it stand to reason that they get the benefit? These positions start at level 3.

I'm just asking the question, and definitely not complaining, and thanks for the clarification.
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Take El Gettar:

You start with the Germans and Italians dug in. If I get reinforcements and they move to those dug in positions wouldn't it stand to reason that they get the benefit? These positions start at level 3.
The way I rationalise it is that units will only dig in for themselves, they're not likely to dig in for other units coming along later.

Of course it *could* be possible for the game to be updated to track what level of digging in had been done in each hex and was available if a new unit stopped there, i.e. the original unit had moved on. But that would take an amount of coding and not sure it'd be a priority ... Michael?

Cheers
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I agree, its not a priority, and sorry if I seem to harp on it. For the El Gettar, this is Americans attacking the axis line. It has prepared defenses. You get more troops to man the defences, those units "should" receive the benefit of those dug in positions on the front line. It's not a game breaker for me.

Maybe you could allow troops to get the benefit of say a level 3 fort, and everything below that is a hasty defense?
MichaelCooney

Post by MichaelCooney »

I'm afraid I don't have further insight into the game design, but I'll give my two cents: If it's a prepared/reinforced position, seems like you'd be using the Fort terrain to represent that, which would be something all the units would take advantage of as they entered the hex.  The increasing unit-based "fort" level then I always thought of as the equivalent of digging the foxhole: using what the area offers (trenching, mounds, trees, rocks, etc) to provide personal protection as best as could be done during the lulls.
Boku Strategy Games, Developer of Combat Command and Horse & Musket

Return to “Combat Command Series”