How can i keep my 88's alive

Close Combat - Cross of Iron is based on Atomic Games award Winning Close Combat Series. Close Combat is a real time game were you take command of German or Soviet squads on the Eastern Front during World War II. This version is being developed by CSO Simtek and will include many new features and improvements.
soldier1

How can i keep my 88's alive

Post by soldier1 »

I've been trying the 41 MMCC campaign against the AI and overall have good success but i cannot seem to make it through a battle without my precious 88 mm AT gun either being destroyed or the crew decimated. The cost of replacing it every game is really starting to tell and its loss leaves me at the mercy of the KV's and T 34's. I try to give it cover and set it to defend but it gets blasted by russian 152 or 72 mm field guns, sometimes in the first few seconds. Is there any tips on how to keep it safe but still useful ?
Andrew Williams

RE: How can i keep my 88's alive

Post by Andrew Williams »

Keep it out of LOS for the Start of the battle.... set it up so that it can take out any tanks after theyt advance not at deployment.
ImageImage
Rymbeld

Post by Rymbeld »

I have the same problem, but as the Russians on the defense. What is really annoying is that my guns get knocked out every time, and usually I don't even know what hit them. Is line of sight not reciprocal in this game?

Here's an example. I had an AT gun BEHIND a building, in a spot where it had no line of sight to the approaching Germans, and it was pointed northwestward. There was a German tank approaching, which my infantry could see. My gun was in a perfect spot...I had the fire command ready and was waiting for the tank to move up just a few meters...when suddenly, BAM, my gun is hit and destroyed. I have NO IDEA what hit it. It was as protected as it could be...behind a building. I don't see how it could have been the tank, because how could it have seen the gun before the gun could see it?

I'm quite frustrated because all of my AT assets keep getting destroyed, and ATRs don't work well at all. I'm stuck on a particular scenario which involved defending against a lot of German armour...once my AT gun is gone, the battle is pretty much over.
aaaaburn

Post by aaaaburn »

Start battle with all units in ambush mode. This hides most units from AI "eyes" until the units shoots or is seen in the open. Mortars can devastate exposed equipment with some good shooting. Get in some good shot with your AT guns before being destroyed or hide exposed weapons until AI has expended all ammo for indirect fire weapons.
ParaB

Post by ParaB »

The problem is the lack of relative spotting. Once an AT gun is spotted in this game it's as good as dead since it will be mortared to death in no time. I doesn't matter how cunningly you site a gun, once it opens fire it's only a matter of time until it dies. Really hate that. Manning an 88 is basically a death sentence in COI, at least as long as the enemy has mortars.

[:(]
soldier1

Post by soldier1 »

Manning an 88 is basically a death sentence in COI

Yes those soldiers with suspect loyalty toward the regime may find themselves on 88 duty.
Funny that one of the most deadly weapons of the war has to be kept away, hidden in the bushes behind some building, out of line of site.... why the hell buy it
US Brake

Post by US Brake »

The enemy can kill your guns many ways and its not uncommon for it to be a mystery. If your 88's are failing you due to enemy mortar fire, try to hide some light or med at guns in buildings instead they get roof cover. The Russian infantry are known for taking out armor at close range. Set up tank traps with engineers, flamethrower units. Place a Hvy MG above and behind your engineers so they can cut down the advancing enemy infantry and draw in the enemy armor as bait to the kill zone.

Return to “Close Combat - Cross of Iron”