Hofen help!

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Phoenix100

Hofen help!

Post by Phoenix100 »

Ahead of trying out a multi-player game, for the first time, I've been trying to work out a way to win Hofen, as the Germans. Can anyone help? I think I've played it through maybe 15 times, trying all manner of different strategies, and I have NEVER been able to get above a marginal defeat!! I must be crap, right? 6.5 thousand germans against 2.5 thousand Yanks and I can't scrape more than a marginal defeat. I'm playing on all the normal, historical settings (untouched sliders) and realistic delay. Maybe it can't be done, but it looks like I should be able to patch together 60 VPs to me. The Germans have great artillery. Ok, the VG division starts off tired (I've tried resting them throughout the first day, by the way, to get over this - or through part of the first day [whilst waiting for the arty to get ammo supply] - to no avail), but there is a straight numerical superiority that isn't doing anything for me. Anyone any ideas? Has anyone actually won this scenario, as Germans, on these settings? In one run i managed to kill 1,500 plus americans, to about 400 Germans - that would leave the Yanks with about a thousand men to my 6,000, and still a defeat!! I've tried sneaking round the back, past the Hofen ridge (and managed to take Muntzenich etc), I've tried concentrating on the ridge, I've tried concentrating on part of the ridge (30VPs per VP there) plus, say Monschau and the little 10VP town behind the ridge (forget the name). No joy. Can anyone suggest anything?
Lieste

RE: Hofen help!

Post by Lieste »

Several people have demonstrated wins with Hofen. Look in the AAR section for some ideas about strategies that have a chance. Note the time/duration of each objective - the first/most important are the two Hofen ones - you must deny these to the enemy as soon as possible, and then wrest control and dig in. Once consolidated, push onto the second phase objectives - but it can be beneficial to use small forces to isolate your chosen battlefield to prevent reinforcements getting in, or his forces retreating to the second line - where you'd have to fight them again.

Your artillery is most useful doing counter-battery (preventing fires on units as they form-up and move forwards, but only if you can find most/all of it), interdiction of his reinforcements as they move to reinforce, and in neutralising the defensive position immediately before your troops reach effective firing ranges. Don't waste it 'reducing' dug in defenders, except for his HQ or Base elements.

Armour can rout under artillery fire, which will at least buy you some time during a counter-attack, or possibly eliminate a threat if they abandon the vehicles... but the ammunition used might be better spent elsewhere - depends on how brittle your infantry is at that stage.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Doh...why didn't I think of the AArs? Thaks Lieste. I see there's a couple of Hofen AARs and one has a lot of helpful hints. Will try again!
vj531

Post by vj531 »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Doh...why didn't I think of the AArs? Thaks Lieste. I see there's a couple of Hofen AARs and one has a lot of helpful hints. Will try again!

Very sneaky! But rather obvious![:D]
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

Return to “Command Ops Series”