Map Texture question

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

HintJ

Map Texture question

Post by HintJ »

I've made and collected some very hi-res textures. When I do a simple build in Mapmaker, I get this:

Attachments
Hexpic_260..1_205020.jpg
Hexpic_260..1_205020.jpg (154.09 KiB) Viewed 84 times
"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
HintJ

RE: Map Texture question

Post by HintJ »

But a final build Megatexture becomes this: Any Ideas why?

Attachments
Hexpic_260..1_205825.jpg
Hexpic_260..1_205825.jpg (37.92 KiB) Viewed 84 times
"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Megatexture seems to take your 1024 map and stretch it into a 8192 map. I don't like the effect either. The opposite is that smaller textures will tile and look like bad carpet.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

It seems that Mapmaker will not make any megatexture larger than 2048x2048. I've seen 4096^2 maps in the media folder. How do I create those size?
- Savielly Tartakower
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

A 500 will make a 2048, a 1000 / 4096, a 2000 / 8192 I think.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

A 500 will make a 2048, a 1000 / 4096, a 2000 / 8192 I think.
Doesn't seem that way. This is a 1K map, and I'm getting 2048. Of course, I can re-size it, but it is quite tedious to basically re-texture the entire map using map tiling and layers in Gimp. I basically have to redo everything that mapmaker does by hand if I want a higher resolution.

for example, If I want my grass texture to repeat say 100 times, I now have to resize the grass texture, tile it for 100 times, select all the grass terrain and then paste it over that layer. It sort of defeats the entire purpose of having the mapmaker do the texturing if I want a higher resolution.

I'm just wondering if there is any way I can change the default size of the megatexture for a 1K map, understanding that it will give a performance hit for very high settings.
- Savielly Tartakower
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

perhaps line 526 in the mapmaker htm?

MEGA_TEX_SIZE = 2 * MAP_TEX_SIZE;
- Savielly Tartakower
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

If you build the map without mega, I think it creates the normal size graphic. Copy that somewhere then do the mega. Rename the normal to mega and replace the mega. Then see how that works.
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

Clever idea, but it seems that the megatexture in scene edit is in temporary memory, not saved anywhere, unless I can find it somewhere . . .

By the way, changing the line 526 to a 4 or higher actually works, although I'm not sure of unintended consequences.
- Savielly Tartakower
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I think at one time it was 4, hence my 8192 comment above. The bmp or png or dds could not even be opened by less than a high end rig.
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I think at one time it was 4, hence my 8192 comment above. The bmp or png or dds could not even be opened by less than a high end rig.

I had to laugh when I read that. You know, I changed it to "8," and as I'm typing this, I've been waiting forever for Mapmaker to finish building the map.
- Savielly Tartakower

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”