Remove Supply

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

sPzAbt653

Remove Supply

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I was looking at a scenario from pre-3.4 (before new supply rules were available) and noticed that several 'remove supply' events were not zero'd, rather they had large numbers like 545 or 1010. Several other 'remove supply' events were zero'd properly. I couldn't think of another scenario that had remove supply events and was built prior to 3.4, but maybe if anybody has one, they could check to make sure those events are zero'd.

Attachments
edit254.jpg
edit254.jpg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 33 times
Telumar

RE: Remove Supply

Post by Telumar »

Couldn't recreate it in a test. But as you said, some are converted correctly. Did you use the regular or the slow exe?
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

This is with 3.4 and the XP-Slow.exe. Also the same on the w98 machine.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

I was looking at a scenario from pre-3.4 (before new supply rules were available) and noticed that several 'remove supply' events were not zero'd, rather they had large numbers like 545 or 1010. Several other 'remove supply' events were zero'd properly. I couldn't think of another scenario that had remove supply events and was built prior to 3.4, but maybe if anybody has one, they could check to make sure those events are zero'd.

I think if you'll check, you'll see that those events never worked in those scenarios.

The "remove supply point" feature was screwy. Norm sort of bungled it and never fixed it. One screwy problem was that it wouldn't remove a friendly supply point while its hex was enemy owned. Another was that it could only remove a point placed by event - points placed in the editor couldn't be removed (I think Ralph has fixed these two, but I can't remember for sure). The other problem was what you're seeing here: The value in the ninth pane had to be 0 for the point to be removed. That's no problem if the designer used a fresh, never used, event slot. But, if he reused an event slot that had previously set the ninth pane to some other value (say a "Cancel Event 600") then the point wouldn't be removed - even though the pane would say "Remove Supply".

I remember posting about this years ago - so long ago it was probably on the Talonsoft board. But I'm probably the only one that it even registered on. The moral of the story is to test to see if your events actually work.

So, this is actually good news: Those old, non-working "remove supply point" events can now all be easily identified. And no new scenarios will ever be plagued by it again.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “Scenario Design”