Why the Pacific War?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ilovestrategy

Why the Pacific War?

Post by ilovestrategy »

What is it about the Pacific War that interests you guys(and Rhonda) so much that you spend literally years researching it?

For me, the vastness has always fascinated me. All the way from Alaska to the Solomons. All those battles on islands that resembled nothing like America or Japan, thousands of miles from each others homelands.

Also, naval wars have always kept my interest and that was the naval war of all naval wars.

Another thing that fascinates me was the utter hatred each side had for the other, especially in the island battles.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
bradfordkay

RE: Why the Pacific War?

Post by bradfordkay »

Like you, naval wars have always fascinated me but there is more to it than that. The Pacific Theatre was the pinnacle of the combined arms doctrine. All three major aspects were heavily involved: air, land and sea. No one branch could be ignored - they all had important parts to play in the campaigns. 
fair winds,
Brad
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I love history - particularly military history - and particularly World War II. Why the interest in the Pacific War?

As you say in your third point, the Pacific War was the naval war in terms of sheer size and scale.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

BTW I've just seen you are on 2,501 posts ilovestrategy - congrats on your 5th star!![;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

The carrier battles, and also because it was close to home (kinda) with the battles in the Coral Sea, the Kokoda track, the shelling of Sydney, ships sunk by IJN subs all the way along the East Coast.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I've got a few reasons, but I think it started with that 1/48 Monogram F4F model I got for my 11th (?) birthday and cool movies like "Tora, Tora, Tora" and "Midway," not to mention shows like "McHale's Navy" and "Baa, Baa Black Sheep." I also ran into the "Baa, Baa Black Sheep" crew on my 7th Grade field trip to Universal Studios and I was taller than Robert Conrad (he played VMF-214 skipper Greg "Pappy" Boyington to those unfamiliar with the series). I also played a lot of AH's "Victory in the Pacific" as a kid. Anyway, the sheer epic scale of the battles and the playing field is certainly attractive to us gamers.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Who says the Pacific Theatre or even WW2 is a favourite.

I play WITPAE because its the best game covering a theatre I have an interest in, just like Wellington in the Penisula, The Western Desert and anywhere else the AIF left its (often graffitied) mark.

IMVHO, the dangerous ones who never lift their gaze from the Pacific!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

The carrier battles, and also because it was close to home (kinda) with the battles in the Coral Sea, the Kokoda track, the shelling of Sydney, ships sunk by IJN subs all the way along the East Coast.

I agree. Carrier battles are unique and few in history. Plus, the Japanese were a unique player. A nice change from the usual goosesteppin' and blitzkriegin' Germans people either loathe or worship. Oddly enough I find the logistics fascinating too.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

See SigPic.

Just referring to the tropical island setting, of course.

Ok - and carrier battles, combined arms, vastness etc.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

I really enjoy military history.  Mainly the Civil War, WWII, and Medieval history.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Ossian

Post by Ossian »

The scale, the ships, the submarines. Subs, in particular; I love stuff about the U-boat campaign and the Med but there is something quite different about the Sub war in the pacific.

There's other stuff. Go into a British bookshop and there will be hundreds of books about D-day, Normandy and Hitler. Perhaps a few about the desert war and Italy. There are seldom that many about the Pacific war. I think, for me at least, the names still carry an exotic quality to them. Tarawa, Gaudalcanal, Midway, Pearl.

I think for the British as well the Pacific and the far east represent blows to the being of the Empire that the western front never really did. The fall of Singapore and the largely but important Burma campaign, for example, are elements of British history that are not as well known as they should be.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, aircraft carriers rock. They rock very hard indeed.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I just love ships. (and planes, tanks and trains for that matter)-especially when they are shooting at each other. I know war is not a healthy pursuit but I can't help but be facinated with.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Local Yokel

Post by Local Yokel »

Over the years my interest in things military has ranged over the campaign in NW Europe, Germany's war with the Soviet Union, Bomber Command's campaign and the Battle of Britain. But way back in the late 1950's my father, in general a man who had little time for military matters, sat me down in front of the television and said 'This is a programme worth watching'.

Only in black and white on a 405 lines CRT, but up comes the glittering swell of that opening sequence, and Richard Rodger's majestic theme playing over it: Victory at Sea!

Looking at it again now I'm stuck by its jingoism and lack of sophistication by today's standards. Yet I'm sure the series planted a seed of fascination in me that has lasted a lifetime.

"And now... the Pacific boils over!"
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Around 1963 it became a tradition in our family to order a "Big Hoss Pizza" and as soon as it arrived, I would get out a fresh edition of Air Classics, or Flying Review International.
One weekend, I was munching down the greasy pizza and reading a story of the airedales who served in the Pacific, and how winning their wings allowed them to go from Coke to beer, (paycheck wise)..
Loved that particular issue and those mags for years.
Back then, with only Avalon Hill around, I was trying to envision everthing WITP later became!!
So help me, WITP really was everything I had looked for since those years.

AE just improved it by 80%.

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Back then, with only Avalon Hill around, I was trying to envision everthing WITP later became!!
So help me, WITP really was everything I had looked for since those years.

AE just improved it by 80%.

+1
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

A number of reasons for me, was the vastness of the theatre, the scale of the fighting and the forces involved and the incredible changes it caused in Australia, from outlooks with regards to other countries, The very large wave of emigration that was triggered after the war (Arthur Caldwell once Australian Minister for Immigration once stated "Populate or perish") to industrialisation.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

BTW I've just seen you are on 2,501 posts ilovestrategy - congrats on your 5th star!![;)]

Thanks! [:)]

Good responses. I also love WW2 carriers.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

I have a voracious appetite for military history, strategy, and wargames. I am not too particular - from Thermopyle to Agincourt to Port Arthur to Rorkes Drift to Tet to Normany to the Somme to Gettysburg. They all have lessons to teach us about the spirit of a soldier and the burden of leadership

This is just the best game I have ever played on the subject, and one of the best games I have played in any genre, on or off computer. It's easy to get humbled.
Andy M
JSBoomer

Post by JSBoomer »

For the me the biggest thing was the carriers, was always facinated. That and I have always liked military history, at a very young age I was very facinated with the WWII fortifications in my home town of Terrace (which is on the map in this game!).
Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Why the Pacific war; Well for me it is the fascination of this conflict being the first, and only big 'Engine War'. This campaign used human'engines of war' on and under the Sea, on the land and in the air on a vast scale. It was also a war were the arts of military science had to catch up with the use of these machines.

Yes I also love the carrier warfare, and the tactics and luck involved in those battles. But most of all it has everything, every type of warfare, and fought in every type of terrain.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”