How to edit defaults for random maps?

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Adam Rinkleff

How to edit defaults for random maps?

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

Is there any way to edit the default settings for random maps? For instance, to change the value of a unit, or to set all nations at war automatically? I know I can go in and edit this manually, but is there any way to have my settings as the default?

Update: by loading the generic file and editing it, I was able to change the costs of trucks and research -- but I still don't see how to change turns to one day and how can I change the start date? I've done that in settings, but something in the random generation overrides it and they are still month long turns.
Adam Rinkleff

RE: How to edit defaults for random maps?

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

It seems that I can just created it with an edited generic masterfile? Do I need my opponent to have the same file?
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

Ok I tried doing this but it crashed when I tried to make the random game, so could someone tell me how to do the following?

I want to do the following:
-1) change turns to one day per turn (clearly, considering the range of artillery, each hex is about 10km, and so one day per turn seems appropriate)
-2) I want to reduce the cost of a truck by 50%, and reduce its corresponding supply usage, fuel usage, and cargo capacity
-3) change the starting garrison units (its annoying to have SMG and rifles in the same unit, every game i waste time separating them)
-4) change research

I know how to do all of this in a scenario, but I can't get it to work in the random games without manually editing each game I play.
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

Update: by loading the generic file and editing it, I was able to change the costs of trucks and research -- but I still don't see how to change turns to one day and how can I change the start date? I've done that in settings, but something in the random generation overrides it and they are still month long turns.
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

ok, I guess I'm talking to myself here - but basically I'm now able to do most of what I want to do except to set the default date and research points for players in the random game. However, its not too hard to edit that after the map is created.
springer

Post by springer »

Adam,
I only dabble with the editor, but your posts prompted me to try and figure out how to do what you suggested.
You are now programming events:

To change the start date and the number of days each turn represents:
1. go into the editor
2. click the event button
3. the go to event "4) First round: set year and date". 
4. Click the line with the variable ExecDateMode (1,31)
5. Now go to the bottom of the screen to the EXECTYPE button, but don't click it.
6. Click on the second button after the wordExecDateMode. You will then go to another screen
7. Click the "real number" button and type 1. This will change ExceDateMode(1,1)
(ExecDateMode sets the length of a turn.  (1,1) makes the game one turn long. (the first integer designates whether time is kept as rounds or dates, the second is the length between dates).)

Then set ExecChangeDate (1,1,1,) to whatever you want the format is ExecChangeDate (Day, Month, Year). following the same steps.

(If you really want to explore events, click the EXECTYPE button, you will find both variables in the "Game" category, and they can be changed there as well.

3. Click on "Regime, People, Research", you will then see a variable called ExecGiveRegimePP (1,1). ( First number is regime number, second is PP given).

(I didn't look to see if is already in one of the events or whether you would have to code the event yourself.)

Best of luck...
[6/16/2011- afternoon: updated as per Adam's comments below]
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

To change the start date and the number of days each turn represents:
1. go into the editor
2. click the event button
3. the go to event "4) First round: set year and date". 
4. Click the line with the variable ExecDateMode (1,31)
5. Now go to the bottom of the screen to the EXECTYPE button, but don't click it.
6. Click on the second button after the wordExecDateMode. You will then go to another screen
7. Click the "real var" button and type 1. This will change ExceDateMode(1,1)
(ExecDateMode sets the length of a turn.  (1,1) makes the game one turn long. (the first integer designates whether time is kept as rounds or dates, the second is the length between dates).)

5. Then set ExecChangeDate (1,1,1,) to whatever you want the format is ExecChangeDate (Day, Month, Year). following the same steps.

Very helpful thanks, although in step 7 I think you meant "real number" button not "real var" as there is no such button.
springer

Post by springer »

Hi Adam,

I edited the above instructions. (And, deleted a bunch of other typos... a bad habit I have of drafting and redrafting combined with being tired. Thanks...)

It's not a good idea to change the generic.at2
My comments on this forum discussing random mods is one approach. However, recommends two other approaches that are far superior to my suggestion: Vic's discussion of setting up mods. See posts #12-15.

I'm not 100% sure since I've never done it, but I think that if you have created and saved a particular instantiation of a random game and send it to your opponents. I think it should function consistently across opponents since all the information is now stored in particular instantiation of the random game, which now has it's own *.at2 file.

Vic

Post by Vic »

From v2.06 (next beta patch) onwards there will be a button in the new random game setup that you can use to load a different masterfile for setting up your random game. This will thus add a 3rd way to create user modded or created random games.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”