turn length question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

scout1

turn length question

Post by scout1 »

two questions ....

1) other than turn 1, what is the approximate time spent on your turns ? I know it depends on lots of stuff, but want an idea as to how long various people spend on entering orders, etc .... 30 min's, 1hr, 2 hrs ? what ?

2) How long does it take for the computer to run the turn ? Again, it will vary, just trying to get an idea as to time ? WitP AE can run in ~ 10-15 minutes .... what an idea for this monster ? Can this execution run w/o human intervention ? WitP AE can if certain features are turned off so I can let it run while I'm doing other things. Can this be done with WitE ?

herwin

RE: turn length question

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: scout1

two questions ....

1) other than turn 1, what is the approximate time spent on your turns ? I know it depends on lots of stuff, but want an idea as to how long various people spend on entering orders, etc .... 30 min's, 1hr, 2 hrs ? what ?

2) How long does it take for the computer to run the turn ? Again, it will vary, just trying to get an idea as to time ? WitP AE can run in ~ 10-15 minutes .... what an idea for this monster ? Can this execution run w/o human intervention ? WitP AE can if certain features are turned off so I can let it run while I'm doing other things. Can this be done with WitE ?

1) Usually between an hour and ninety minutes.

2) I just see the combat replay, and that involves user interaction.

Correction--I thought this question was about WitP-AE, which has daily turns.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Well, we're playing a PBEM game and I usually need a couple of days for one turn. Not sure how many hours, but it would be somewhere between 4 and 6. We're still pre-blizzard and once we reach the point where Germany can advance no more, the turns will of course be shorter. One reason for the rather long turns are that I have the entire map in an Illustrator file and constantly update all units from corps upwards on that, so that I can have an overview of the situation. Takes some time too.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

About 5 hours if I concentrate; first turn might be quicker because you know exactly what you are doing; develop a step by step list to speed things up...and for the AI to take a turn, turn 1 seems like forever but after that say 5 mins....naturally it all depends on what type of pc you have...
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
scout1

Post by scout1 »

So, can the combat replay run autonomiously, similar to WitP AE. Effectively start the replay running and walk away ? AE allows this is certain features are turned off. Handy, if you don't want to sit there for each battle .....
Krec

Post by Krec »

My first turn , i can spend like 3-4 hours easy. There is so many things to tweek and adjust. All depends on how much you like to micro manage.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

scout1 - yes, you can finish your turn, confirm it, and then walk away. I usually do. At least against the computer. There are no combat reports that come up during your opponent's turn in PBEM. You have to do those yourself.
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

Hi,
my experience, GC 41-45 against German AI, challenging, latest official patch (1.03).

two questions ....

From 30 to 90 minutes, it depends on the turn and the things I have to micromanage. First turns usually takes a lot of time, you have a lot of things to organize and manage.

If I set message level to 0 it takes about 15 minutes for turn resolution on my notebook.

Bye.
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

In PBEM

Until Mud 41, as the Germans, about 2 hours per turn, Soviets about 1½ hours.
Much less in mud. In blizzard or snow, about an hour. In 1942, turns tend to be shorter, one hour maybe less, as the front tends to be more settled and there are large parts of the front that will be relatively calm.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: invernomuto

Hi,
my experience, GC 41-45 against German AI, challenging, latest official patch (1.03).

two questions ....

From 30 to 90 minutes, it depends on the turn and the things I have to micromanage. First turns usually takes a lot of time, you have a lot of things to organize and manage.

If I set message level to 0 it takes about 15 minutes for turn resolution on my notebook.

Bye.

The AI turn processing is funnily enough processor heavy. The time taken is dependent on your processors speed.

Two options

1. Zoom all the way out and set messages to 0. Review battles on your turn under CR Recent Battles.

2. More expensive option. Get a new computer and WITE and WITPAE loading and turn processing really flies.

WITPAE was real slow on my old desktop, better on my Dual Core processor laptop, but cant compare to my new desktop.
vlcz

Post by vlcz »

So, can the combat replay run autonomiously, similar to WitP AE. Effectively start the replay running and walk away ? AE allows this is certain features are turned off. Handy, if you don't want to sit there for each battle .....

There are no witp-like replay in pbem as there is no "turn resolution" for both players orders as in witp. You only see "replays" when playing vs AI, in fact you are seeing the "virtual" player moving its turn(if you usae FOW you are cheating the AI indeed [8D]) , and those can be left runnig autonomiously, given you chosse level 0 of combat info.

In PBEM (or vs AI if you go making other things as I do) you can review opponent battles and air operations -opponents and your interceptions in his turn- as icons in the map, that you can click for full report of individual operations.

There are no quick routine turns as there was in Witp, as you can not give multi-turn orders, but as others noted bad weather turns are somewhat quicker than clear ones, if only because you do more things those turns.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”