what to do with a game-stopping problem

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

borner

what to do with a game-stopping problem

Post by borner »

We all know that EiA has come a long way from version 1.0 and that many bugs have been eliminated. However, when a group runs into an issue that cannot be solved with the new editor, how do we best communicate this to Matrix to request help? In a game I am in, we have been on hold for nearly 3 weeks now waiting on some sort of resolution to an issue that have been passed on. I understand resources are limited, and I honestly am not trying to be overly critical here, but at the same time I think it is fair for us to be abloe to exepct some level of support from Matrix.
DCWhitworth

RE: what to do with a game-stopping problem

Post by DCWhitworth »

Is it worth posting the issue here to see if anyone has any bright ideas ?

As a last ditch desperate move you can use the scenario editor to recreate the game position as it should be and effectively start a 'new' game from that position. I did this for a game that had been begun with v1.01 and was proving somewhat unstable, it has proved quite successful and the stability issues have been largely removed.
Regards
David
borner

Post by borner »

I thought the host had, but perhaps not.     In this game/situation Austria is suddenly showing to be a minor state.
DCWhitworth

Post by DCWhitworth »

ORIGINAL: borner
I thought the host had, but perhaps not.     In this game/situation Austria is suddenly showing to be a minor state.

And the problem is ? [;)]

Seriously, do you have more detail in that ? How are you seeing this effect ? We managed to have a curious effect with Prussia appearing to be controlled by Berg. Managed to get around that though.

Also what version of the game are you on ?
Regards
David
borner

Post by borner »

All of the Austrian home nation has black diagional lines through it, although it's minor still show as normal and Austrian controlled.   I beleive Marshall has been sent two notes on this asking for help but I do not think he has yet replied. My point is that with us having paid for EiA, and it being known to still be flawed, a better support network needs to be in place for these types of situations.
Dancing Bear

Post by Dancing Bear »

On the up side, I believe this bug is fixed in 1.08.06.

Support consists of Marshall, who's bill paying job seems to be eating up his time. It is a good idea to post here, and as well as bug him.
Zuni76

Post by Zuni76 »

Similar situation in our game. Spain after declaring Portugal and Naples as a free states, has became their secondary district (at least MP and $ values shown for those countries indicate that).

Dancing Bear,

what does it mean that this issue is fixed in 1.08.06 ? New patch fix those bugs in on-going games ? Or just prevents it from occuring in future ?

Zuni
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Zuni, there was a pbem issue with France being conquered by Thuringia that was fixed in v1.08.05, and this should also prevent similar spurious status changes from happening.  Overall the Mantis change log shows 9 pbem bugs have been fixed in v1.08.05/06, plus the pbem enhancement for the new features in the pbem admin menu. 

The patch probably will not automatically fix on-going games, but the host should be able to fix things himself.  Hopefully with the pbem bug fixes the host won't have to make too many more repairs, and if he does should be able to do most everything that needs to be done without needing Marshall's intervention.  And that will help Marshall a lot by freeing up his limited time to actually work more on game improvements rather than repairing  games in progress.

Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Zuni76

Post by Zuni76 »

OK, thanks for the info, but one more question - how it will be possible for the host to resolve this bug ? is further extension of admin menu planned or maybe possibility to edit current situation via editor ?
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

AFAIK, the current admin menu in beta cannot reset the Conquered/Free State status of minors so Marshall may have to do that himself.  As things like this arise, hopefully he will continue to update the admin menu functions to provide additional capability.  Ideally though the game should run smoothly so neither he nor the host need to make repairs.  We're getting closer!  Hosts will still want to use the admin menu to implement house rules and other variants that the game doesn't handle.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
borner

Post by borner »

I beleive in our issue Marshall has been emailed multiple times for help, with no reply.   It is quite fustrating not to have any effective way to get help for these issues. I think the host has been trying to get his help for about a month now.
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Hey guys:

I certainly apologize for the delayed response. I am VERY behind and trying to catch up! Borner, I believe I have your game and I will look at it over the next day or 2!

Again, thanks and apologies!
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Borner:

I am looking for your game but cannot seemt to find it??? Can you tell me when you emailed or simply remail?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

borner

Post by borner »

Marshall. It is the Blood EiA game. Kevin H is host sent you the file a couple weeks ago I beleive. It is where Austria is showing as a minor state.  If you do not have it I can ask him to re-send.
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Got it!

Thanks again!
Thank you

Marshall Ellis

Return to “Tech Support”