Best support units for Soviet Corps?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

TulliusDetritus

Best support units for Soviet Corps?

Post by TulliusDetritus »

So, what are the best support units for the Soviet Cops... oops CoRps [:D]

- Tank Corps
- Cavalry Corps
- Rifle Corps

Thanks in advance
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Klydon

RE: Best support units for Soviet Corps?

Post by Klydon »

Don't think you can go wrong with sapper regiments in any of those.

Tank corps I would like to add more tanks to, but I don't think it lets you do that, so I usually go with sappers.

Cav corps, I like putting tank regiments in.

Rifle corps typically get sappers for me.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Rifle corps: 2 x sapper, 1 x AT.
Tank corps: 1 x sapper, 2 tank battalion.
Mech corps: 2 x sapper, 1 tank battalion.
Cav corps: 1 x sapper, 2 x tank battalion.

I build scads of these things. While other people are building rifle brigades (lol), I make SUs. By spring of 1942, STAVKA is jam packed with these SUs.

WitE Alpha Tester
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

I took me about 5 mins to find this via less precise match and search by author

Here tm.asp?m=2694621&mpage=1&key=Soviet%2CC ... s&#2694621

Now that engineer type support units attached to Combat Units help to dig in, this may make them abit more useful.

Your welcome TD!
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Flaviusx, do you still stick with tank battalions even when regiments become available?
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Tank battalions upgrade to regiments on their own.
WitE Alpha Tester
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Yeah, I know they will, but they seem to take their time doing it and I don't particularly care for the battalion ToE with all those light tanks. How are you with the heavy tank regiment with the KV's? I typically try to build a mix based on availability of the pools.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

By the time the regiment SU toe is available, I'm done building battalions, and they switch over pretty quickly in my experience.

The Soviet Union produces an incredible number of light tanks early on. I want to make use of those tanks. There's no point in letting thousands of these things pile up in the replacement pool. So I'm ok with their relatively heavy losses. Their production is so high they get topped off quickly. They also aren't dealing with tigers and panthers in 1942.

I like the heavy tank regiment as an Army HQ SU. I do not attach them to corps.

WitE Alpha Tester
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Thank you everyone [:)] I'll be upgrading the Red Army, as per Flavio's suggestion. A small upgrade, which should help me to stop the fascist hordes during the summer '42 offensive... I hope!
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Could someone clarify something for me? I went to attach some SUs to a rifle corps, and instead of seeing the normal full menu of SUs, I only saw a handful that were available. How do I ensure that I can sign the SUs that I want to the rifle corps? Do I have to create them at the army, and then assign them to the corps? That seems like it would take two AP (one to create, one to assign), which is too much...am I doing something wrong here?
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

It's a two AP process, yes. 1 AP to build, another to attach.

Not every SU can be attached to every unit.

SUs built in STAVKA can be assigned anywhere. Forget the army and front HQs, just build your corps attachments in STAVKA and your corps can get them.
WitE Alpha Tester
Pawlock

Something to be aware of

Post by Pawlock »

After recently reading this thread I liked Flaviusx idea of building a lot of your SU's at STAVKA and have started doing this myself in preperation for corps attachment.

There is a slight drawback to this which I have just found out. Any new Armies due to arrive generally come unlocked set at about 3. So they will immediatly attempt to draw SU's from STAVKA to get thier quota up. I found this out when after I built a shed load of sapper regiments to find they had dissapeared next turn. I though I was going mad till I realised what had happened.

Of course I would assume none of this applies if you play with locked HQ's from the start.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”