Poll: Force60 or 40:40?

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

junk2drive

RE: Poll: Force60 or 40:40?

Post by junk2drive »

The force 60 was a fairly recent addition. Mad Russian campaigned for 60 second turns more than anyone. Once he got them, he didn't like them.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I actually hated 40:40 when I first came across it and detested the reaction phase. But once I got to grips with it and saw it in play, I couldn't go back to 60 sec turns.

I HATED the 40:40 sequence and simply played it as an 80 second turn. Which I still do for the most part.

BUT then, low and behold, I'm in trouble and I need to do something about it. Not a major overhaul, just something minor like:

WITHDRAW!!! THERE ARE GERMAN TANKS EVERYWHERE!

You know, minor stuff.

Now, I still play my 80 second turns but I use the reaction phase to get myself out of trouble.

So Stridor gave me back my 60 second turns like I asked him to. He even did me better than that, he added a whole different set of sequencing choices for PCO.

There are 5 different sequences and I've made battles for all five. I still prefer the 40:40 to be played as an 80 second turn and when I need it I know I can get myself out of trouble if things get too bad.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Richie61

40:40.

I still have a hard time adjusting to it. It's hard trying to get up to speed on a game that is on it's 3rd update and not knowing the correct keys or orders to perform. There are lots of unknowns for me  - still [&:]
I just haven't found the place where I feel I am "in the game and fighting with my troops". I still feel very detached. [:@]

But I am still plugging away. [:)] It's all me and not the game.

Look at Contact at Lipki. All the different time sequences are represented in that scenario. Play around with them. See which ones you might like better. If there is a particular sequence that you guys like that isn't 40:40 which almost all the scenarios are designed as or the 60:0 which you can make happen by simply selecting the "Force 60 Second" option we could add those to the upcoming update, or one of the expansions.

Good Hunting.

MR

Johnus

Post by Johnus »

I use the 60 second turn.
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

40:40.

I still have a hard time adjusting to it. It's hard trying to get up to speed on a game that is on it's 3rd update and not knowing the correct keys or orders to perform. There are lots of unknowns for me  - still [&:]
I just haven't found the place where I feel I am "in the game and fighting with my troops". I still feel very detached. [:@]

But I am still plugging away. [:)] It's all me and not the game.

Look at Contact at Lipki. All the different time sequences are represented in that scenario. Play around with them. See which ones you might like better. If there is a particular sequence that you guys like that isn't 40:40 which almost all the scenarios are designed as or the 60:0 which you can make happen by simply selecting the "Force 60 Second" option we could add those to the upcoming update, or one of the expansions.

Good Hunting.

MR

I will try that one! Thanks!
The lack of CM "way points" to fine tune your forces is a hard habit to kick [&:]

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The lack of CM "way points" to fine tune your forces is a hard habit to kick [&:]

PCO has waypoints hold down the control key while issuing orders. You can give 3 waypoints to PCO movement orders.

Good Hunting

MR

VictorCharlie

Post by VictorCharlie »

I play 60 mainly cause i'm new to PCO and its matches my CM thinking of tac combat.
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

I think the preference is muddled between two different things, one being the concept of a reaction phase itself, and the other as people just prefer shorter or longer intervals between turns. example --

Who that uses 60 would switch to reaction phase mechanics if it had 30/30?

etc.
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

I like the 40:40 now.  But I still want the reaction phase developed so that certain units can still do 'extra' functions.

As a case in point...i would like certain units to fire smoke during Reaction Phase. 
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

You should add that to the wish list thread.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I'll add it.

Good Hunting.

MR

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

You can fire smoke in the reaction phase if you can target. I started the tutorial, gave my infantry a Engage>Move order. In the reaction phase I can select a sub unit, select Target and choose Smoke Grenade.

Most units don't have smoke.
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

I should be clearer..I want tanks to fire the smoke dischargers that may be mounted.  Units with small caliber weapons like 37mm/50mm/etc. can not fire an effective smoke round so smoke dischargers combined with Withdraw would be nice.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Yes it would.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mobius

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: Yoozername

I should be clearer..I want tanks to fire the smoke dischargers that may be mounted.  Units with small caliber weapons like 37mm/50mm/etc. can not fire an effective smoke round so smoke dischargers combined with Withdraw would be nice.
Has to be added to the wish list. Right now CBE smoke rounds can't be fired at under some range. I think it's 300m.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”