ROF of Artillery

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

Beany

ROF of Artillery

Post by Beany »

Hi Erik,

I have a few questions about game play.

1. Can the ROF of artillery be increased? One or two shots per gun per 40 seconds seems a bit too slow a ROF, particularly for 81mm mortars.

2. Can the player modify the ammo loadouts of the tanks? I would like to ensure that all tanks have at least 3 smoke shells at the start of a battle as I often like to lay down a smoke screen in front before moving to engage.

3. What is the sighting angle for tanks to the front (in actuality about the axis of the main gun)? It would be nice in future versions of PC to be able to align the main gun away from the longitudinal axis of the tank so as to keep an area under surveillance whilst moving.

Enjoying the game immensely but gee its hard to defeat the Russians!!

Kind regards,

Mark C.
Mobius

RE: ROF of Artillery

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: Chorlto
Hi Erik,

I have a few questions about game play.

1. Can the ROF of artillery be increased? One or two shots per gun per 40 seconds seems a bit too slow a ROF, particularly for 81mm mortars.
Hmm, the ROF is only 5 in the game. 105mm guns are 6. My notes say off map mortars up to 90mm should have ROF 8-9. I don't know the reason for the nerfing. You can change this to 8 or 9 if you want to edit the xml in Data/ArmouredUnits. Do it for both Russian 82mm Mortar and German 81mm Mortar to be fair. (Raising the ROF would increase the points costs I'm sure.)
2. Can the player modify the ammo loadouts of the tanks? I would like to ensure that all tanks have at least 3 smoke shells at the start of a battle as I often like to lay down a smoke screen in front before moving to engage.
Player's can't. Scenario editors can change the overall load percentages, but to change the absolute numbers you would have to edit the xml of the specific tank in Data/ArmoredUnits. Some guns don't have CBE so check the gun stats in the scenario editor before changing an xml.
3. What is the sighting angle for tanks to the front (in actuality about the axis of the main gun)? It would be nice in future versions of PC to be able to align the main gun away from the longitudinal axis of the tank so as to keep an area under surveillance whilst moving.
Open topped and unbuttoned 90° of the main gun and buttoned 45° of the main gun have the best chances to spot. Plus 45° of the front hull has pretty good chance but it doesn't have the height advantage of the turret. Outside of this arc there still is a chance to spot but the range is much lower.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Beany

Post by Beany »

Thanks for the replies Mobius. Is the data in the Guns subfolder in the Data/ArmouredUnits folder? Or is ROF located in another section of the Data/ArmouredUnits folder? I did notice a Tables folder which included and XML file on Max Fire.

Kind regards,

Mark C.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

The ROF will be on the Mortar xmls in the Data/ArmoredUnits folder.

I don't think the Max fire table is used for anything.
panzer
Beany

Post by Beany »

Hi M&nbsp; <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> [/align] - <gun type="81mm mortar" caliber="81">[/align] - <ammunition type="HE" destruction="4" stun="9">[/align] - <tohits>[/align] &nbsp; <tohit range="2400" number="0" /> [/align][/align] &nbsp; </tohits>[/align][/align][/align] - <penetrations>[/align] &nbsp; <penetration range="2400" number="1.5" /> [/align][/align] &nbsp; </penetrations>[/align][/align][/align] &nbsp; </ammunition>[/align][/align][/align] - <ammunition type="CBE" destruction="15" stun="15">[/align] - <tohits>[/align] &nbsp; <tohit range="2400" number="0" /> [/align][/align] &nbsp; </tohits>[/align][/align][/align] - <penetrations>[/align] &nbsp; <penetration range="2400" number="0" /> [/align][/align] &nbsp; </penetrations>[/align][/align][/align] &nbsp; </ammunition>[/align][/align][/align] &nbsp; </gun>

Kind regards,

Mark C.

[/align][/align][/align]obius,

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not sure what section of the XML file I need to modify. Below is the XML file for the 81mm mortar from the Data/ArmouredUnits/Guns folder. Could you let me know ifthis is the file I need to modify and if so which section? If it is not the correct file can you let me know which one is?

Mobius

Post by Mobius »

This is in the ArmouredUnits folder.
You see the rof="5" change that to rof="8".
<armouredunit type="81mm Mortar" side="German" mass="10" size="-2" stun="0" speed="0/0"
turretrotation="" month="7" year="39" points="12" movetype="0" endservice="06/45" medservice="6/43" medprev="40" stddev="36">
<locations>
<location position="12" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="11" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="10" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="9" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="8" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="7" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="6" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="5" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="4" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="3" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="2" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
<location position="1" location="SuperS" front="0" side="0" rear="0"/>
</locations>
<guns>
<!-- rate of fire 11=ac-->
<gun gunid="81mm mortar" rof="5" location="SuperS"/>
</guns>
<attributes>
<attribute name="HeavyMortar"/>
<attribute name="Indirectfire"/>
</attributes>
<set setid="default">
<models compendium="artillery pics/compendium 81mm Mortar.png"> </models>
</set>
</armouredunit>
panzer
Beany

Post by Beany »

Hi Mobius,

Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry for the mess that was my previous post. I should have done a preview before posting!

Kind regards,

Mark C.

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”