I dont like my union

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zakhal

I dont like my union

Post by Zakhal »

Im from Finland. Sorry its political.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
bairdlander2

RE: I dont like my union

Post by bairdlander2 »

not sure if that would be considered political.My union doesnt do much for us either.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Ours is good but sometimes I think they demand too much. 
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Well with us they have certain "site specific" rules like no double time at certain jobs,but we have one of the best pensions around.$10 the employer has to give for every hour worked and that realley adds up over time.The real problem is there is no solidarity among workers and even the various trades.If we wanted to we could shutdown the oil refineries if we all walked.But thats illegal here.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Nice, but you know there is only one union I talk about. 
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

I always liked the Solidarity Union, but it was more of a movement and a cry for freedom than just a union. Sorry if that is too political.
Attachments
solidarnosc1.jpg
solidarnosc1.jpg (99.56 KiB) Viewed 97 times
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.
parusski

Post by parusski »

I am happy to be a part time resident of a right to work state. The Volunteer state is great.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

We don't have good unions in Poland. That's why I decided to never work outside family again - when I'll finish studies I'll probably start my own family. Having to do best quality work in bad conditions for 2$ a hour... - never again.
One thing that is the worst that people with higher education can do crap work and still get paid a lot - especially lawyers, while unskilled workers still have to work a lot and do highest quality work and get starvation wages.
Of course randroids justify it by their ideology of great value of mental work and worthlessness of physical work.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Last week, I had to pay a union $200 dollars an hour too operate an elevator. He literally had too just push the buttons, my workers were not allowed to touch it! I can give you a hundred stories just as ridiculous as this. Screw unions!!!![:@]
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

We don't have good unions in Poland. That's why I decided to never work outside family again - when I'll finish studies I'll probably start my own family. Having to do best quality work in bad conditions for 2$ a hour... - never again.
One thing that is the worst that people with higher education can do crap work and still get paid a lot - especially lawyers, while unskilled workers still have to work a lot and do highest quality work and get starvation wages.
Of course randroids justify it by their ideology of great value of mental work and worthlessness of physical work.

Dont get me started on lawyers......especially Polish lawyers
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Last week, I had to pay a union $200 dollars an hour too operate an elevator. He literally had too just push the buttons, my workers were not allowed to touch it! I can give you a hundred stories just as ridiculous as this. Screw unions!!!![:@]

Wheres this? I need a new job and 200 bucks an hour to push buttons is a lot more than my union negotiated to drive buses....A freaking lot more....
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

Wheres this?
Near you as a matter of fact, Rochester. $200 an hour is the rate I paid the union, I'm sure the worker only got about $50 of that. Construction unions! I've been to sites where we weren't allowed to open doors by ourselves, I needed a union worker to open doors for me!!?? This is the sort of nonsense that shows unions out of control. At least in America. I wonder if unions are as arrogant in other countries? The USA once had a definite need for unions, but I feel those days are gone. I know unions played a huge part of the demise of industry in my state (PA.). When janitors are getting $45 dollars an hour to push brooms, something is wrong. Nothing I can do about it, except gripe.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

Wheres this?
Near you as a matter of fact, Rochester. $200 an hour is the rate I paid the union, I'm sure the worker only got about $50 of that. Construction unions! I've been to sites where we weren't allowed to open doors by ourselves, I needed a union worker to open doors for me!!?? This is the sort of nonsense that shows unions out of control. At least in America. I wonder if unions are as arrogant in other countries? The USA once had a definite need for unions, but I feel those days are gone. I know unions played a huge part of the demise of industry in my state (PA.). When janitors are getting $45 dollars an hour to push brooms, something is wrong. Nothing I can do about it, except gripe.

I know the transportation unions arent as whacked out as that.... Top pay here is a LOT less than 50 an hour...And we dont have some of the ridiculous crap going on as construction unions.But i'm sure the button masher only is getting 20-25 at the most..Someones hand is skimming off a little from the top...... But I disagree about the need for unions. They are still needed. If we didnt have a union where we worked it would be a lot less safe etc etc..Maybe its the company I work for....I used to be on the other side of the fence when I ran my own company....
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Wheres this?
To be honest, it sounds more like a mafia than a worker union.

Dont get me started on lawyers......especially Polish lawyers
I've heard horror stories about people losing their inheritance, children and stuff like that because of lazy incompetent lawyers. Personally, I have lost my alimony thanks to an incompetent lawyer and earlier I had a few years of delays of execution of overdue alimony thanks to another lawyer. Of course all of these bastards get paid a lot.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

And the difference would be?
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

^+1
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

And the difference would be?
Shift of goals from workers defending themselves from exploitation and unhealthy working conditions to exploiting employers and creating unhealthy conditions for business.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

But to be honest, without unions many employers would love nothing more than to crap right on their employees if given half a chance....Im not saying most but a significant portion.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Shift of goals from workers defending themselves from exploitation and unhealthy working conditions to exploiting employers and creating unhealthy conditions for business.

You only seem to hear the "exploiting employers and creating unhealthy conditions for business" bit from employers, though. Odd that.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

You only seem to hear the "exploiting employers and creating unhealthy conditions for business" bit from employers, though. Odd that.
I suspect that employers who have these kind of opinions about unions are of two kinds - randroids who make forming of unions a necessity - to them employees are subhumans who don't deserve to have any profits from their work and whose health is unimportant while they are Ayn Randian overmen creating wealth for themselves with their titanic creativity and intellect and people who run into unions with mafia-like mentality.

Return to “General Discussion”