Routing or Surrender

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

BIG ERN

Routing or Surrender

Post by BIG ERN »

When I do turn one as German I took special care to cut off soviet units, sometimes surrounding them 100%. Yet when I go to finish them off they route outside the pocket when its patently impossible for that to happen. What is the format to decide when the unit routes and when it surrenders.
In one case later on in the game I had 10 divisions in a pocket at Odessa. the front line was 7-8 hexes away..I deliberatly delayed finishing the pocket off to make the units surrender. result.. they all routed into the caucasus peninsula vry frustrating and a waste of my time.
Ridgeway

RE: Routing or Surrender

Post by Ridgeway »

Other than fortified regions (which always surrender), units will only surrender if they start the turn isolated/surrounded. If you want to force surrenders, you have to wait a turn to mop up pockets.

BIG ERN

Post by BIG ERN »

Ok that helps. But the pocket around Odessa was left for 2-3 turns until I pushed the front line away yet those units still routed to Sebastopol. Does a pocket have to be completely surrounded to surrender?
Also, if an enemy unit is routed and you move next to it, does it lose more units when it routes again? In other words is it worth while to move your units next to routed units so as to incur more loses? Or is it a waste of time?
Ridgeway

Post by Ridgeway »

Units can draw supply from, and rout through, ports. The Odessa "pocket" is not isolated in game terms.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Yes they rout of Odessa.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
BIG ERN

Post by BIG ERN »

Thanks, very helpful.
So last question..is it worth making routed units route again? Do they lose more men each time they route?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

is it worth making routed units route again? Do they lose more men each time they route?

Yes, displacing routed unit causing them to loose morale and pass through the retreat attrition routine.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

A unit routing (warping out) on the turn that it is surrounded is a "New" concept for me, and is hard for me to wrap my mind around it. The thing that I hate the most is attack a unit. It retreats. Attack again. It retreats. This goes on for multiple hexes. You can chase a defeated unit all over the board!!!!

UGH!!!!!!
Tony
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

ORIGINAL: Treale

A unit routing (warping out) on the turn that it is surrounded is a "New" concept for me, and is hard for me to wrap my mind around it. The thing that I hate the most is attack a unit. It retreats. Attack again. It retreats. This goes on for multiple hexes. You can chase a defeated unit all over the board!!!!

UGH!!!!!!

So...you have to surround units for turn to isolate, and then attack on the next turn. The IGO-UGO world is only an abstraction; did the panzers really close the ring tight enough before the attack to prevent retreat....remember much of this is really going on simultaneously and chaotically.

Marquo
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Make sure the surrounded unit has a SP of -1 before you clobber it...then it will surrender...
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

Return to “Tech Support”