Short Map PI Scen

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

berto

RE: Short Map PI Scen

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Rename location 623 Balinta pass - the trail system is also correct here - for a communications route from the Northern Ilagan Valley into the central plain of Luzon. It needs to be defined as mountains as well.
Sorry, one more possible correction.

Are you referring to Balete Pass (aka Dalton Pass)?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: TIMJOT

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

As I recall, MacArthur's plan was to concentrate for the defense of Luzon and Mindanao. Del Monte, on Mindanao, was to be a major airbase.

If shipping and the Japanese had allowed, I believe the entire 71st and 91st Divisions would have moved to Luzon. The actual movement started after hostilities, and I do not know the planned schedule pre-war. Or, indeed, if they would have moved at all. Additional CD defenses were being planned for the Visayas.

The 61st and 81st were to move to Mindanao, a movement that also began after war broke out.

In all cases, only portions of the Visayas divisions completed the move.

Another problem is the long-term goal of a full corps for each military district. Not to be completed until 1946, but at some time (soon?) the mobilization of the second divsion in each district would have begun. Note that Panay was able to raise two more (under equiped) regiments before being overrun. The first division might have moved while the units of the second defended the Visayas??

Hi Don

From what I read even MacArthur didnt think Mindanao was defensible and because it was outside his defense perimeter he told Washington that Del Monte would not due for the planned bomber base. Del Monte would serve as an auxillary base and for expediancy temporarliy serve as the 7th BG base until the Cebu base could be developed. USAFFE maintained that with the completion of the Inland Seas Defence project and in-shore patrol that the Visayas could be defended. It was thought that Cebu also had the advantage of being far enough away as to be imune to Japanese attack but close enough to allow B-17 and B-24 to strike enemy targets. It was only after the early start of the war made the Cebu base in Inland Seas Defence project moot that the decision was made to concentrate on Mindanao to protect the now only practical base Del Monte. Both Sharp and Chenweyth were posted to there commands prior to out break of the war so it doesnt appear that the Panay and Cebu Divisions were going anywhere.

What you say makes sense. I do know that an air base unit was already in route from the US for Del Monte, but that could be because it was a staging base of the sourhern air transport route.

I have no resources for anything else. Do you have any additional book references? Love to read more on this.
JWE

Post by JWE »

As I recall, MacArthur's plan was to concentrate for the defense of Luzon and Mindanao. Del Monte, on Mindanao, was to be a major airbase.

If shipping and the Japanese had allowed, I believe the entire 71st and 91st Divisions would have moved to Luzon. The actual movement started after hostilities, and I do not know the planned schedule pre-war. Or, indeed, if they would have moved at all. Additional CD defenses were being planned for the Visayas.

The 61st and 81st were to move to Mindanao, a movement that also began after war broke out. In all cases, only portions of the Visayas divisions completed the move.

Another problem is the long-term goal of a full corps for each military district. Not to be completed until 1946, but at some time (soon?) the mobilization of the second divsion in each district would have begun. Note that Panay was able to raise two more (under equiped) regiments before being overrun. The first division might have moved while the units of the second defended the Visayas??
Hi Don

From what I read even MacArthur didnt think Mindanao was defensible and because it was outside his defense perimeter he told Washington that Del Monte would not due for the planned bomber base. Del Monte would serve as an auxillary base and for expediancy temporarliy serve as the 7th BG base until the Cebu base could be developed. USAFFE maintained that with the completion of the Inland Seas Defence project and in-shore patrol that the Visayas could be defended. It was thought that Cebu also had the advantage of being far enough away as to be imune to Japanese attack but close enough to allow B-17 and B-24 to strike enemy targets. It was only after the early start of the war made the Cebu base in Inland Seas Defence project moot that the decision was made to concentrate on Mindanao to protect the now only practical base Del Monte. Both Sharp and Chenweyth were posted to there commands prior to out break of the war so it doesnt appear that the Panay and Cebu Divisions were going anywhere.
Yeah. Lots of problems crop up. About the only solution I can think of is to go with Ltr Orders, CG USAFFE to CG NLF, SLF, V-MF, 3 Dec 4l, AG 381 (12-3-41), which details the force composition of the three main commands (NLF, SLF, V-MF). Put units where they are supposed to be, given a completed training cycle. I think, according to USAFFE-USFIP Rpt of Opns, 4 Nov 41, that Mindanao was indeed part of Mac's planning. It was definitely part of his perimiter; it was called the Visayan-'Mindanao' Force, after all [;)]. Perhaps Cebu figured more prominently as a potential future air base, but Del Monte was nevertheless in the box.

Perhaps the best way to work this is to move the start date to Jan 7, 42 and assume that the Pensacola convoy arrived, and all the troops, planes, and goodies sitting at SFO got there too. Ending up with a nicely reinforced and better equipped US Army contingent, up to strength and better equipped PA units, a fleshed out PC, some more CA and CA(AA). i.e., not presume Mac's defense project was completed; think that would open too many cans of worms, especially of the Japanese variety.

Facing a full boogie defense, doubt they would have assigned just 2 divs and a brigade for the op. Would have barfed the whole PI/Malaya/Burma/DEI deployment schedule. Also doubt that Japan would schedule anything in the Southern area after January. Hydrology and met conditions would obviate against it. Given that Japan doesn't get anything beyond what was actually available, perhaps a "reinforced" PI, rather than a "fortress" PI will be a hard enough nut to crack.
TIMJOT

Post by TIMJOT »

What you say makes sense. I do know that an air base unit was already in route from the US for Del Monte, but that could be because it was a staging base of the sourhern air transport route.

I have no resources for anything else. Do you have any additional book references? Love to read more on this.

My most recent source is the excellent and highly recomended "Racing the Sunrise" Glen Williford Ch.14 pg 215

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Sunrise-Re ... 399&sr=1-1

A more detailed reference can be found in William Bartch's "December 8th 1941 MacArthurs Peral Harbor" Ch.7 pg 211-212.

http://www.amazon.com/December-1941-Mac ... 184&sr=1-1

However I stress that a major bomber base in the Visayas was the "PLAN", whether or not it could have been completed prior to May 1942 is another matter. Although IIRC funding and additional EABs were were approved.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

My most recent source is the excellent and highly recomended "Racing the Sunrise" Glen Williford Ch.14 pg 215

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Sunrise-Re ... 399&sr=1-1

A more detailed reference can be found in William Bartch's "December 8th 1941 MacArthurs Peral Harbor" Ch.7 pg 211-212.

http://www.amazon.com/December-1941-Mac ... 184&sr=1-1

I have both these books. Time to read them again - and a little more carefully.

Thanks.
TIMJOT

Post by TIMJOT »

No problem, as I said Bartch sites Mac directly, but whether or not the Visayas base could have been completed prior to May 1942 is another matter, but since this is a "what if" on Macs plan IMO it should be included.
JWE

Post by JWE »

No problem, as I said Bartch sites Mac directly, but whether or not the Visayas base could have been completed prior to May 1942 is another matter, but since this is a "what if" on Macs plan IMO it should be included.
Well, it's not that big a deal to put some engineers there to get the ball rolling. Am seriously backing away from an April/May start. There's just too much speculation and assumptions with Mac's plans to provide a reasonable basis for a scenario. And then there's the Japanese; although South Army had limited resources, would the PI get the major proportion of 14, 15, 16 Armies, along with all Group holdings?

Think it best to go with 'what you see is what you get', but reinforced to the limits of what was in the actual pipeline. That would avoid the potential "what-if" questions and still give Japan a much harder nut to crack.

Going whole-hog is something somebody else is gonna have to do.

[ed] Mescaline is worth a try. Michoacan buds would work, too.[;)]
TIMJOT

Post by TIMJOT »

ORIGINAL: JWE

Well, it's not that big a deal to put some engineers there to get the ball rolling. Am seriously backing away from an April/May start. There's just too much speculation and assumptions with Mac's plans to provide a reasonable basis for a scenario. And then there's the Japanese; although South Army had limited resources, would the PI get the major proportion of 14, 15, 16 Armies, along with all Group holdings?

Think it best to go with 'what you see is what you get', but reinforced to the limits of what was in the actual pipeline. That would avoid the potential "what-if" questions and still give Japan a much harder nut to crack.

Of course its your perogative but I thought the whole point of this mod was to see what if Mac got to implement his plan. I think between Morton, Bartch Williford and other sources we have a pretty good idea on what was going to be sent. You may need to make some educated assumptions on what specific units. As far as Japan IMO we can also make some educated assumptions. The 4th IJA and 56 IJA were both historically available to bolster the 14th Army. without weakening 15th and 16th armies. The monsoon does pose a problem but maybe at least a March start would allow enough margin for IJA operations and also allow Mac to get most of his stuff. Again your decision but dont really see the point to a what amounts to a Pencecola mode.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

ORIGINAL: berto

The key to an interesting game that MIGHT permit Allied victory is Baguio City ... A house there is still US territory - it is where Yamashita surrendered.
Didn't Yamashita in fact surrender at Kiangan, Ifugao?

REPLY: Nope. I have been to the house. You need permission from the US Embassy in Manila - in writing - to get past the security guards. It is preserved as a historical site for that reason. It is on Fort John Hay at the edge of the perade ground.

Look here.

I have relatives (by affinity) from Kiangan, and I've visited the Shrine on a couple of occasions. I believe that Kiangan was, in fact, Yamashita's last holdout.

REPLY: Probably. But when talked to, he said he would make them fight - he could surrender only if written orders were obtained from the Emperor - for legal reasons We agreed. The formal ceremony was set for Fort John Hay.
Rename location 623 Balinta pass - the trail system is also correct here - for a communications route from the Northern Ilagan Valley into the central plain of Luzon.
Also, it's the Cagayan Valley, named after the Cagayan River, the Philippine's longest and largest, that runs through the valley, south to north. Ilagan is the capital of Isabela Province, just one of several provinces in the Cagayan Valley Region. (I should know. I lived in Ilagan for a year, back in 1978. Indeed, I've visited every one of the places you mentioned. Ah, the memories.)

REPLY: Of course it is the Cagayan Valley - and Ilagan is just the hex name because it is a provincial capital. I am sort of from a village near Naguilian, on the Naguilian road - by adoption (there being no English word for "balikbayan" - nor legal or social concept in our country that expresses it - but the literal translation = "of the village").

el cid again

Post by el cid again »

ORIGINAL: berto

Rename location 623 Balinta pass - the trail system is also correct here - for a communications route from the Northern Ilagan Valley into the central plain of Luzon. It needs to be defined as mountains as well.
Sorry, one more possible correction.

Are you referring to Balete Pass (aka Dalton Pass)?

I've been through the Pass many times, and visited the Dalton Shrine there, too. [;)]

Look here.

BTW, the Yamashita Shrine in Ifugao is in the shape of a stylized Japanese pillbox, and one can enter inside. The Dalton Shrine is more like a spike, kind of a mini Washington Monument.

Maybe. I use the US Army spellings from The Fall of the Philippines.

Speaking of monuments, the village of Casilagan has one - they had to build a one lane road just to make it - the only one I ever saw in any village in any country. It is to my father in law - a Chinese who scouted - apparently effectively - the Japanese positions for the return up the Naguilian Road in 1944.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

The 61st and 81st were to move to Mindanao, a movement that also began after war broke out.

In all cases, only portions of the Visayas divisions completed the move.

Hi Don

Del Monte - a plantation no less - was one of many strips on islands used to ferry B-17s to the theater. It was not an air base per se - just a place a big plane could land and refuel. It would have taken a lot of work to change that. The B-17 route crossed - criss crossed really - the Japanese mandated islands - and some of the fields became important later.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

The 61st and 81st were to move to Mindanao, a movement that also began after war broke out. In all cases, only portions of the Visayas divisions completed the move.

Hi Don

Yeah. Lots of problems crop up. About the only solution I can think of is to go with Ltr Orders, CG USAFFE to CG NLF, SLF, V-MF, 3 Dec 4l, AG 381 (12-3-41), which details the force composition of the three main commands (NLF, SLF, V-MF). Put units where they are supposed to be, given a completed training cycle. I think, according to USAFFE-USFIP Rpt of Opns, 4 Nov 41, that Mindanao was indeed part of Mac's planning. It was definitely part of his perimiter; it was called the Visayan-'Mindanao' Force, after all [;)]. Perhaps Cebu figured more prominently as a potential future air base, but Del Monte was nevertheless in the box.

Perhaps the best way to work this is to move the start date to Jan 7, 42 and assume that the Pensacola convoy arrived, and all the troops, planes, and goodies sitting at SFO got there too. Ending up with a nicely reinforced and better equipped US Army contingent, up to strength and better equipped PA units, a fleshed out PC, some more CA and CA(AA). i.e., not presume Mac's defense project was completed; think that would open too many cans of worms, especially of the Japanese variety.

Facing a full boogie defense, doubt they would have assigned just 2 divs and a brigade for the op. Would have barfed the whole PI/Malaya/Burma/DEI deployment schedule. Also doubt that Japan would schedule anything in the Southern area after January. Hydrology and met conditions would obviate against it. Given that Japan doesn't get anything beyond what was actually available, perhaps a "reinforced" PI, rather than a "fortress" PI will be a hard enough nut to crack.

The campaign went badly from the Japanese point of view. Hamma was sacked! Never mind he was facing over 100,000 troops and they took away his best units too. It is the ONLY time the IJA fielded its "heavy force" - an artillery division really - and it broke the back of resistence in 20 minutes. US troops said they never experienced anything like it. But it came much later and was NOT planned at all. Japan thought we had a weak army - and in most respects it was true at the time. Only the Philippine Scouts were really able to stop a Japanese formation at will - using their brand new M-1 Garand rifles - never mind they were not veterans like the IJA.

el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Of course its your perogative but I thought the whole point of this mod was to see what if Mac got to implement his plan. I think between Morton, Bartch Williford and other sources we have a pretty good idea on what was going to be sent. You may need to make some educated assumptions on what specific units. As far as Japan IMO we can also make some educated assumptions. The 4th IJA and 56 IJA were both historically available to bolster the 14th Army. without weakening 15th and 16th armies. The monsoon does pose a problem but maybe at least a March start would allow enough margin for IJA operations and also allow Mac to get most of his stuff. Again your decision but dont really see the point to a what amounts to a Pencecola mode.

Mac had YEARS to implement his plan - and it was a lousy plan. See The Philippine Army. It needed TIME more than equipment. One battery had 110 75mm guns - the rest had none at all. The plan called to defend at the beaches with troops so bad none had trained above company level - and many had no shoes or boots. Many men in many divisions is less useful than some who have gear and a clue - see the Constabulary for example. Or the regulars of the US Army regiment and supporting units. Or the Marines.
berto

Post by berto »

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
berto

Post by berto »

el cid again

Post by el cid again »

I have relatives (by affinity) from Kiangan, and I've visited the Shrine on a couple of occasions. I believe that Kiangan was, in fact, Yamashita's last holdout.
[/quote]
REPLY: Probably. But when talked to, he said he would make them fight - he could surrender only if written orders were obtained from the Emperor - for legal reasons We agreed. The formal ceremony was set for Fort John Hay.
[/quote]
So maybe the whole story goes something like: Yamashita personally surrendered to American troops at his last combat holdout in Kiangan; but later on, as an American captive, formally surrendered his IJA command at Baguio?

REPLY: That misses the point of the history. Yamashita was TOO STRONG to force out - not worth the cost in lives and time. SO they honored his requet to get written orders. There must have been a preliminary discussion somewhere - and I don't know where that was - so maybe it happened where you think it did? But it was only an agreement in principle, he returned to the field, and only after orders were obtained did he go to the place the event happened.
We were pretty ruthless by then - see the fate of Fort Drum - they burned em out. If we could have forced his hand, we would have done.

el cid again

Post by el cid again »

[/quote]
There's a Naguilian along the National Highway (just south of Gamu) in Isabela Province, too. At first take, that's the Naguilian I thought you were referring to.

If our finances don't work out, my wife and I might be forced to retire in the Philippines. So we, too, can be balikbayan. Not by choice, though.
[/quote]

The more famous Naguilian is the one after which the Naguilian Road is named. It was the first road to Baguio. Gold up there was unreachable before that - the several Spanish expeditions died trying. It was a major engineering achievement of the US administration. It is about 15 km from the coast at Buang, where it meets Highway 1 - about 8 km South of San Fernando. Just NE of Naguilian is a tiny one lane road - just a track when I first saw it - leading to Casilagan - my village.
JWE

Post by JWE »

It's a lot more than just Pensacola. Everything stacked up at SFO comes in as well. So Mac gets the 34th and 161st IRs, all the arty units, the engineers, the planes, the base and material Bns, as well as 380 odd ATGs, 500 odd MGs, real-live Brandt 81s, at least 50 105mm, more 3in AAA, some CD tubes, two dancing bears ... there was 1,100,000 tons of stuff at SFO FoB Manila in November 41, quite a bit of it actually scheduled for departure mid December. And Mac gets his Q-boats, too.

What I don't want to get into is redefining the underlying base structure of the PI and the entire operational scheme. Need to put a stake in the ground somewhere, so the campaign is fundamentally the same; just a heck of a lot more of it.

The date doesn't matter that much, it's a nice convenience for editing scheduled arrivals and sinkings, etc.. Can call it whatever. Assumption is PA troops have gone through the 13 week basic training cycle and units have had the 5 week Bn/Rgt course. Maybe they started a few weeks earlier, who can tell?
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

Been nattering with Uncle Don on some PI things and he suggested a short map scenario with a May 1, '42 opening day might be interesting. It would give Dougie a lot of the things he asked for and make the PI into a real live, honest to gosh, campaign. It will be based on the detailed OOB and delivery schedule research done by Don Bowen.

This will be a CPX-style scenario. It will exist in a vacuum and is not subject to 'what if' constraints. It will be detailed in a manner similar to the Babes-style DEI scenario.

Any interest from the community?

Interesting notion John, but with one observation. Training a Philippine Army Division would take a minimum of one full year (probably more given the lack of officer material). So to give Mac what he wanted would mean pushing the scenario start back to about September of 1942---or assuming he recieved approval, funding, and equipment much earlier (not really possible as the US was still gearing up to produce much of what he would need). That was always the biggest problem with Mac's "plan"..., he tried to implement it at least 9 months before he had the force to do it.
JWE

Post by JWE »

Well, mammy always said if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. But too many folks have too many different ideas about what's right. So maybe we'll just give this one a pass.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”