Books about the War in the Pacific?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Big B

RE: Books about the War in the Pacific?

Post by Big B »

Another good book that can still be found is:
Jack Coggins: Campaign For Guadalcanal

I bought my copy of that book new back in 1972, a very informative book (and nicely illustrated), and as the Amazon.com link above shows - it can still be obtained.

A review of this lessr known book today:
Jack Coggins' THE CAMPAIGN FOR GUADALCANAL is of a type never seen anymore. Every page is illustrated with drawings and/or maps-- there's not a single photo, yet they're not at all missed.

This oversized book is printed in two columns per page. Events that precipitated the clash over the strategically vital Solomon Island are covered in detail. Drawings of military equipment (planes, ships, armored vehicles, transports, etc.) for both sides are provided along with specs that allow the reader to determine at a glance which of two might have the edge in battle.

Motivations and military options are discussed; task forces are broken down into individual components. Simplified maps include clearly defined positions along with troop, ship or plane movements. Great insights into the strategic ramifications of the battle as well as the small details of both the US and Japanese men, equipment and tactics. There are abundant maps, drawings and sidebar discussions of related topics (like how to aim artillery if you cannot see the target, how to land a plane on a carrier, etc). The author's expressed desire to educate any newcomer to this battle's history is superbly realized through his concise text and unparalleled ability to make understandable potentially complicated material.
Big B

Post by Big B »

One other resource for English language readers -
This is an online resource Hyperwar:A Hypertext History of the Second World War

It is readily available and best of all free. It contains many complete & detailed history books put online for free reading, and covers all theaters and phases of the war:
The content of HyperWar consists primarily of official documents produced by various agencies of the United States, United Kingdom and British Commonwealth governments.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

One more....

For a good overview of the Naval aspects, all campaigns but less detail, try
http://www.amazon.com/Two-Ocean-War-His ... 764&sr=1-1
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

Where is the love for anything by Dunnigan/Nofi?

I am disappoint...
Yeah he's a hack, but he's our hack.
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
Kapitanma

Post by Kapitanma »

I highly recommend Tennozan by George Feifer. It's an excellent and well researched book on the invasion of Okinawa. Posting from phone so won't get long winded...
USS Henrico

Post by USS Henrico »

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

Where is the love for anything by Dunnigan/Nofi?

I am disappoint...
Yeah he's a hack, but he's our hack.

Dunnigan is such a hack that he ran SPI into bankruptcy at a time when they had the largest and most loyal wargamer base ever. They had to sell out to the Dungeons and Dragons people (TSR). [:@] Haven't forgiven him for that.

But I have Victory at Sea on the same shelf as some of the above mentioned titles. It has some usefulness as a general reference book.
April 2, 1945. The USS Henrico, supporting the invasion of Okinawa, is struck by a Francis operating as a Kamikaze, killing 51. Among the wounded was the father of this poster.
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

And let's not forget "How to Make War." The West will win because the East drinks the alcohol from the teat of their crappy tanks!

OK, I'm spent.
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
AirGriff

Post by AirGriff »

I read a couple this year that were pretty good. "Neptunes Inferno" is an account of the US Navy's actions around Guadalcanal in late '42, early '43. Really vivid battle details and an interesting analysis of the decisions leading up to and following those battles.

The other one is "The Ghost Mountain Boys" by Campbell. It's about an American division (the 32nd I think--details are already fading) that fought in New Guinea. This book also gives some vivid details about what it was like to fight in that terrain (you'll never hear me complain about how long it takes a unit to march in the jungle and all the disruption it receives in AE). Not a lot of detail on what was going on elsewhere, but a very good look at the fight for New Guinea.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Short of digging out some of mine to provide you a list, I recommend reading as many as possible by as many different authors as possible.

Doing this can help to reveal some of the bias and prejudice of various authors.

As an example one author portrays Kelly Turner as having walked on water and being singlehandedly responsible for the success of the American amphibious campaign. That same author portrays Fletcher as a complete coward who was the worst excuse for a carrier TF commander that ever existed.

Another author portrays Kelly turner as one of the most arrogant and difficult to work with SOBs to have ever existed and Fletcher as a prudent, cautious leader who deftly protected the vital carrier assets in the earlier days of vulnerablity.

Personally, I don't have strong feelings either way about either man and suspect that the truth lies somehwere in between the two extermes.

My point is to expose yourself to as many points of view as possible.
Hans

Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Big B

This excellent series is actually available through Amazon.com.
History of United States Naval Operations in World War II 15 Volume Set [Hardcover]

In the internet(s) age[:D], hard to find books and videos can usually be obtained through online shopping....

Hope it helps,
B

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... rld_War_II

I got it for Christmas almost 10 years ago. It is hard to come by now in complete form but is completely worth it.

The 15th and final book is also excellent because it contains an index that lists dozens upon dozens of other works that you can then branch out from and reference.

I noticed that when I posted, but those are used. My parents got my set for me. I have no idea where they got them from. For some reason I want to say that my mother perhaps ordered them straight from the publisher.
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

ORIGINAL: Big B

This excellent series is actually available through Amazon.com.
History of United States Naval Operations in World War II 15 Volume Set [Hardcover]

In the internet(s) age[:D], hard to find books and videos can usually be obtained through online shopping....

Hope it helps,
B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... rld_War_II

I got it for Christmas almost 10 years ago. It is hard to come by now in complete form but is completely worth it.

The 15th and final book is also excellent because it contains an index that lists dozens upon dozens of other works that you can then branch out from and reference.

I noticed that when I posted, but those are used. My parents got my set for me. I have no idea where they got them from. For some reason I want to say that my mother perhaps ordered them straight from the publisher.
Holy moly! That is expensive from Amazon. I purchased mine for $150.00 from the Military Issue. Hasn't been in the catalog for some time; but I'm sure it will be back. Just keep an eye out for it come come back. Half way through volume VIII: the Aluetians, New Guinea & the Marianna's. Great stuff.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Thank you for all your answers!!! Now you got me browsing web in search!!!

I don't know what to start with;) gonna look for that 15 Vol monster;)

BTW

Best regards from Moscow, city of constant traffic jams, wonderful metro and incredible museums!!!

P.S. and slow internet in hotels....

Mac
treespider

Post by treespider »

The Home Library:

Attachments
Books.jpg
Books.jpg (239.96 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

lol....i thought i was the only one who would have a copy of 2194 days of war. (well i "used" to have a copy)

spence

Post by spence »

I would recommend:

Shattered Sword (just another endorsement)

Decision at Sea: The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (Eric hammel)
Starvation Island (Eric Hammel again)
along with the Carrier Battles volume recommended earlier this constitutes a great trilogy about the Guadalcanal Campaign

Another interesting one is: A Long Days Journey Into War: December 7th, 1941. It concerns itself with the goings on all over the planet (Russia, North Africa, China) on that one single day and does a good job of fitting the U.S. entry into WWII into the context of the entire conflict.
toonces

Post by toonces »

I just finished Eagle Against the Sun and thought it was an excellent 1-volume account of the Pacific war. It will leave you hungry for more.

Costello's Pacific War is always a good choice.

I thought At Dawn We Slept was excellent. Although at first I didn't think I would like it as it goes heavily into the background of the war, once it got rolling towards the Pearl Harbor attack I couldn't put it down.

A few books that weren't mentioned- Lundstrom has a few books about the Pacific war. I particularly enjoyed Black Shoe Carrier Admiral, which is probably the defense of Fletcher alluded to above. His two First Team books are also excellent, but air-centric.

I just started The Rising Sun this week and I'm interested to see how it compares to other 1-volume war accounts.
barkman44

Post by barkman44 »

Japanese destroyer captain by Hara,Peleliu and two jima by Ross are good readable books.
Treespider you have a few books that I also possess-Prelude to Pearl Harbor is good,also see barrets Hitlers generals is the blue book to its right the one about Hitlers luftwaffe generals?There good to.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

All those years (and dollars) collecting Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships and now it's available online. Oh well, I prefer books. To lean over, spill coffee on, and put book marks in.

Attachments
IMG_4339.jpg
IMG_4339.jpg (351.61 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

The Green books are well worthwhile...

Attachments
IMG_4338.jpg
IMG_4338.jpg (293.32 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Soem of this stuff is really great. Note two copies of World War II order of battle. The updated volume has just a little bit more...

Attachments
IMG_4337.jpg
IMG_4337.jpg (350.86 KiB) Viewed 94 times

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”