The first problem with v4.50.14b patch so far...

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Wacht am Rhein remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign including a new strategic map with 64 gorgeous hand-drawn tactical maps, over 70 scenarios, tons of new interface and unit graphics, countless engine improvements, and much more!
huahuapro

The first problem with v4.50.14b patch so far...

Post by huahuapro »

Not 100%, but most of the Panzers (I only play the German side. So not sure if US tanks got the same issue...) ONLY use their AP rounds - no matter soft targets or just suppressing fire on the open field, the tanks fire the HE round only when they are out of AP rounds...

Anyone help me? Thanks!
RD Oddball

RE: The first problem with v4.50.14b patch so far...

Post by RD Oddball »

Tanks should have AP rounds loaded as default in anticipation of engagement with enemy tanks. If you instruct your tanks to fire at a soft target or unknown target, such as area fire, they should fire the already loaded AP round then reload an HE round as long as you didn't cancel the fire order you gave or the target moved our of LOS or be eliminated or they run out of HE ammunition. When you get down to one or two rounds you should see them go into ammo conservation mode and be receiving reports in the battle messages that they're running low on ammo. Provided they still have AP ammo left they're indicating they're running low HE ammo not ammo in general.

If you're seeing anything that contradicts this let us know which tank types you're seeing this on and the specific situation that lead up to them firing AP rounds only so we can replicate this on our end. Screenshots may be helpful.

Thanks!
huahuapro

Post by huahuapro »

Thanks for the answer.

So I made a test-run and have some screenshots here. Two vehicles are choosen: a Stug III and a Pz IV. First comes the Assult Gun. I ordered it to put some area fire on the building. As you can see in the first screenshot the Stug has its default AP round loaded:

Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (361.66 KiB) Viewed 755 times
huahuapro

Post by huahuapro »

First round fired. And second one is...AP round.

Attachments
02.jpg
02.jpg (434.67 KiB) Viewed 755 times
huahuapro

Post by huahuapro »

Go on...AP round again.

Attachments
03.jpg
03.jpg (434.71 KiB) Viewed 755 times
huahuapro

Post by huahuapro »

And now the Pz IV. Same as StugIII, its default AP round is loaded:

Attachments
05.jpg
05.jpg (435.42 KiB) Viewed 755 times
huahuapro

Post by huahuapro »

Same order,area fire on the building, and the next AP round is reloaded:

Attachments
06.jpg
06.jpg (435.04 KiB) Viewed 755 times
huahuapro

Post by huahuapro »

Continue, and AP round goes on...

Attachments
07.jpg
07.jpg (435.08 KiB) Viewed 755 times
huahuapro

Post by huahuapro »

That´s it. I´ve played all the "classical" CCs and also the COI, WAR, TLD and LSA but never see this before... Maybe something could be changed to keep our "precious" optimal?[:D]
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

If you target infantry and or the ground the tanks switch to HE shells after firing the loaded AP shell.

I'll have to reinstall CC5 and or WAR to see what these older versions of the game do when targeting a building. Also, should test the Allied side to see if it is working the same as the Axis side....

Edit:
- tested WAR as the Allies and when targeting a building the loaded AP shell is fired and then an AP shell is loaded.
- tested CC5 and when targeting a building the loaded AP shell is fired and then an HE shell is loaded.
- tested TLD and when targeting a building the loaded AP shell is fired and then an HE shell is loaded.
- tested LSA and when targeting a building the loaded AP shell is fired and then an HE shell is loaded.

The problem seems to be specific to WAR regardless of the side played.
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

Just checked .07 version of WaR as this is the first time I can remember this being reported

2nd shot changed to HE

Attachments
HE1.jpg
HE1.jpg (263.85 KiB) Viewed 759 times
ImageImage
Andrew Williams

and the Hetzer

Attachments
HE2.jpg
HE2.jpg (201.16 KiB) Viewed 759 times
ImageImage
Andrew Williams

hmmm...

StugIII and PzIV from Pz Lehr stay with AP though... maybe a supply shortage?
ImageImage
Andrew Williams

more hmmm... .07

Stugs seem to switch to HE fine when targeting men or ground.

But use AP when targeting buildings [X(]
ImageImage
huahuapro

Post by huahuapro »

Thank you guys for the answers!

Hmmm....played again and confirmed. They use only AP when firing at the buildings...[&:]
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Thanks all for confirming. It's been reported and will be looked into. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

I'm not sure when this started but I'm pretty sure it's been there since WAR came out.
When you look at the amount of Images that can be used for icons the amount that can be used is inconsistent.

When you look at the ScrnGadg.gdg the total amount of Images that can be used for BGUnits is set at 255.
The GSUnits within the ScrnGadg.gdg is set at 195.

When you look at the GameGadg.gdg the amount of GSUnits is set at 255.

Can you please fix the amount of GSUnits in the ScrnGadg.gdg to be at 255?

And while I don't currently understand the whole Soldier Rank Insignia I can't help but to wonder why the numerical #'s for them are different between the ScrnGadg.gdg and the GameGadg.gdg as well?

Thank-You
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Hey Platoon_Michael. I'd be glad to help you out with understanding this. Thanks for asking.

As you do, or should, already know by looking at the scrngadg or gamegadg file entries, each gadg entry can have (if the EXE is set up to allow it) more than one gadg per entry. As evidenced by the _000, _001, _002 serials in the name of some of the gadg image entries. The EXE is set-up to acknowledge and utilize a prescribed number of gadgs for a given entry. So there is a ceiling set for each gadg entry based on the number of images for each gadg needed. If that ceiling for any one gadg is exceeded the game will crash on loading because the image offsets are different than what the EXE expects to see. Steve indicates you can have up to 65536 images for any one gadget entry and the total size of a *.gdg file can not exceed 4GB provided the EXE is set-up to recognize all the images for a given entry, as mentioned above.

When I asked how many of those images the EXE will recognize for the GSUNIT entry his response was
The UI will support 32767 images. This is tied to the team icon field in the teams data files.
So if you add a gadg to the Scrngadg file named GSUNIT_196.tga (that image being of a bit depth and pixel size to match the others) that you can reference that gadg in the team icon field and it will show up in the game. And you should be able to continue doing this up to 32767 images or 4GB whichever comes first. Each gadg image entry is going to have a different ceiling based on what the game requires.

If you have troubles with this working as I'm describing let us know. Also if you want to know how to mod the scrngadg file there are plenty of online sources to reference but it sounds like, if you're poking around in the scrngadg and gamegadg files, you should already know this or possess the knowledge to do it without help.

I know for a fact that we only needed 195 icons which is why there were not more in the scrngadg to begin with.

RE: rank insignia - The difference in numbers between the scrngadg and gamegadg is a requirement based on how the code in the EXE works.
Platoon_Michael

wow,
I'm impressed.
Your answer was more than I expected and the results were better than I thought.
I'm currently at 184 Images for the BG_Unit Icons and was thinking I may have to trim back on a few Ideas.

Sounds like there is no need for that.

Maybe later I can hit you up on some Sound help when I get to it.

Platoon_Michael

And you should be able to continue doing this up to 32767 images or 4GB whichever comes first.

Now I assume the 4GB/32,767 you mention is the TOTAL size of ALL the Images within the ScrnGadg.gdg?
And not just the total amount of one's BG_Unit Icons and their GS_Unit Icons.
As it stands now an unedited ScrnGadg.gdg has 3302 files when extracted.
And does GadgetMunger or the RTBTool compress this file when rebuilding one's edited files?
Is that 4GB before or after rebuilding one's edited file?

And is the ceiling 4GB also for the GameGadg.gdg as well or will the GameGadg.gdg actually be less due to the fact that there are not as many images in that file?
If it's less what would the ceiling be for the GameGadg.gdg

Just trying to be sure I understand this properly.
Thanks

Return to “Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein”