War in the East Q&A

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

sIg3b

RE: War in the East Q&A

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Good games don't represent history but rather historical conditions--conditions that could have resulted in numerous outcomes.

I agree. However, I would want the mean outcome to be considered a Draw. And the historical outcome the mean outcome.

WitE: In the average game, Berlin should fall sometime early 1945. Clearly, very much variation should be possible -from SU dying in 1942 to G dying in 1943.

But IF Berlin falls early 45, this should be a Draw, gameplay-wise. Perfect balance, imo, is at least 1/3 of all games ending drawn. (and the others 50/50 for either side.)
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Tesuji I should clear up my statement, If its a Q then thats cool, but some are trying to tell us how the game should be different and they don't have it...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Question about Finnish rail.

Would I be right to say that the Finns use broad gauge rail same as the Russians? If so why do the rail lines need to be converted when captured by Finnish units in the far north?  I could understand if they were occupied by Russian units and were destroyed but if long stretches of line are just abandon then shouldn't the Finns be able to use them without conversion?

On the topic of Finnish rail, I read somewhere that the Finns do have some limited rail conversion capability. If so where is it based?
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

The Finns have some construction battalions and they are controlled by the AI. And yes they tend to move very slow at repairing rail lines...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Taipan61

Post by Taipan61 »

ORIGINAL: krooh

I didn't say I wasn't buying the game, just wondering why the larger then usual price tag.

I guess that is currently my stumbling block as well. Currently I feel that same about this game. Looks great, the depth is incredible, but will I in the end be overwhelmed by the depth and not play, or will I embrace the depth and enjoy the game? I don't mind outlaying the money if I feel I will get a good return on it. I looked at War in the Pacific for a few months before deciding not to outlay the money. Not because I didn't like the look of the game, but because in the end I didn't know if I would enjoy the game, considering the complex nature of it. A quick demo would of made my mind up one way or another, and in the end the producer has lost any chance of getting my money now that my mind is made up.

Here I sit at the same cross roads. Is there any thoughts of releasing a demo of WitE? I believe the release of maybe the 10 turn small scenario as a demo would only increase sales, so a broader cross section of people would be exposed to the game and be willing to outlay the higher than normal price.

morvael

Post by morvael »

I'm at 287 VP as the Axis. I would like to trample Soviets for a little bit longer, can I change the 290 VP instant victory condition for my savegame (and how, if yes)?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: morvael

I'm at 287 VP as the Axis. I would like to trample Soviets for a little bit longer, can I change the 290 VP instant victory condition for my savegame (and how, if yes)?

No, there isn't. We originally wanted to allow the game to continue, but had too many technical issues and had to give up on that design goal. You'll have to start another game to keep beating up on them. [:)]
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

I've seen some AAR screenshots of the entire length of the front that appears more close up than a normal sceenshot would allow. How is that done?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: Taipan
ORIGINAL: krooh

I didn't say I wasn't buying the game, just wondering why the larger then usual price tag.

I guess that is currently my stumbling block as well. Currently I feel that same about this game. Looks great, the depth is incredible, but will I in the end be overwhelmed by the depth and not play, or will I embrace the depth and enjoy the game? I don't mind outlaying the money if I feel I will get a good return on it. I looked at War in the Pacific for a few months before deciding not to outlay the money. Not because I didn't like the look of the game, but because in the end I didn't know if I would enjoy the game, considering the complex nature of it. A quick demo would of made my mind up one way or another, and in the end the producer has lost any chance of getting my money now that my mind is made up.

Here I sit at the same cross roads. Is there any thoughts of releasing a demo of WitE? I believe the release of maybe the 10 turn small scenario as a demo would only increase sales, so a broader cross section of people would be exposed to the game and be willing to outlay the higher than normal price.

No demo planned, but there are some videos of it on youtube that I've seen others post the links for. If you check out some of the reviews online that are listed here tm.asp?m=2676008 you'd get a decent idea of the game. This game is detailed like WitP, but if you start with small scenarios you can jump in and start playing fairly quickly moving units around, attacking the enemy, etc. There's lot of things you can do once you decide you want to find out about those things, but very few things that you have to do. Do you like IGOUGO games? That's the question I'd ask first. The game costs a lot because as stated, it's targeted at a niche market and for that market it will provide hundreds/thousands of enjoyable gameplay hours.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

Important (imo) question: Are the Campaign Victory Conditions different for different starting dates?

Because the reasoning seems to be in the GC that Germans should survive longer to get a Draw, because Stalingrad need not happen. But in the 43/44 Campaigns, Stalingrad HAS already happened, so Germans should not need survive to Autumn 45 to get a Draw etc.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes they are different, and campaigns and scenarios have completely different victory determination systems:

24.1.2. AUTOMATIC AND POINT VALUE VICTORY CONDITIONS
The game will end in an automatic victory either when Germany surrenders (Soviet victory)
or when the Axis controls sufficient points to meet the particular campaign scenario decisive
Axis victory condition.
Germany will surrender at any time that Berlin has been captured and the Axis player controls
less than 40 points of cities and urban hexes.
If neither player wins an automatic victory (Decisive, Major or Minor for the Soviet player;
Decisive for the Axis player) by the first turn in October 1945, the winner is determined by the
number of points controlled by the Axis player.

Victory levels for the 1941-45 and 1942-45 campaign scenarios:
Decisive Soviet Victory - If Germany surrenders in 1944 or earlier.
Major Soviet Victory - If Germany surrenders between 1/1/45 and 5/31/45.
Minor Soviet Victory - If Germany surrenders between 6/30/45 and 9/30/45.
Draw - Germany does not surrender by 10/01/45 and the Axis player has less than 142 points.
Minor Axis Victory - The Axis controls 142-199 points at the end of the game.
Major Axis Victory - The Axis controls 200-289 points at the end of the game.
Decisive Axis Victory - At any time the Axis controls 290 points.

Victory levels for the 1943-45 campaign scenario:
Draw - Germany does not surrender by 10/01/45 and the Axis player has less than 75 points.
Minor Axis Victory - The Axis controls 75-149 points at the end of the game.
Major Axis Victory - The Axis controls 150-249 points at the end of the game.
Decisive Axis Victory - At any time the Axis controls 250 points.

Victory levels for the 1944-45 campaign scenario:
Draw - Germany does not surrender by 10/01/45 and the Axis player has less than 40 points.
Minor Axis Victory - The Axis controls 40-99 points at the end of the game.
Major Axis Victory - The Axis controls 100-199 points at the end of the game.
Decisive Axis Victory - At any time the Axis controls 200 points.

24.2. NON-CAMPAIGN SCENARIO VICTORY CONDITIONS
Victory conditions for non-campaign scenarios are based on control of victory locations,
usually specific town, city or urban hexes for each side, and cumulative losses in men, guns,
AFVs and aircraft. Victory points for control of victory locations are awarded each player-turn
and there is also a separate victory point award for controlling victory locations at the end of
the scenario. Victory locations can be applicable to both sides or be specific to one side only.
Victory point locations can be displayed by selecting the Toggle Victory Locations button in
the map information menu tab (5.1.2.1). Red flags are Soviet VP locations, black flags are
Axis VP locations, and black and red flags are VP locations for both sides. Losses are based
on the number of men, guns, AFV or aircraft that must be destroyed for the opposing side to
gain one victory point. This base number for losses can be further modified for each side by
a certain percentage. For example, the scenario may be set up so that each player will “earn”
1 VP for each 1000 men lost by the other player, but if the Soviet player has a twenty percent
modifier, the Axis will not gain a victory point until 5000 men have been lost. Victory levels for
non-campaign scenarios are based on the ratio of the side with the most points to the side
with the least points. This ratio is shown on the screen along with either an Axis or Soviet VP
Advantage and the number (to one decimal place) or “No significant VP advantage””if the ratio
is under 1.1.
Victory levels are as follows:
Decisive Victory - ratio greater than or equal to 5.0
Major Victory - ratio less than 5.0 but greater than or equal to 2.0
Minor Victory - ratio less than 2.0 but greater than or equal to 1.1
Draw - ratio less than 1.1
-- Soren Kierkegaard
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

Thanks much.

2 things: Draw ratio in scenarios seems extremely draw-unfriendly. Imho, 1.2 ratio already resulting in win isn´t really deserved.

Soviet win and Draw in all campaigns the same. Why don´t 43/44 campaigns have earlier finish dates, given that there is no real reason why Germany should hold out longer than historical?
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Quick question on combat messages. The 'disrupt' result. Is that placing the thing affected hors de combat? How long does the effect last? For one specific battle, or for all battles that week (have a feeling it's the former but would like to check)?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Disruption is converting to fatigue at the end of each battle.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Disruption is converting to fatigue at the end of each battle.

Thank you. [&o] So it doesn't actually play a role in the combat where the result happens?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

So it doesn't actually play a role in the combat where the result happens?

Didn't understand the question. Disruption has direct effect on the current battle it was gained at.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

ORIGINAL: Helpless
So it doesn't actually play a role in the combat where the result happens?

Didn't understand the question. Disruption has direct effect on the current battle it was gained at.

Thank you.
Taipan61

Post by Taipan61 »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

No demo planned, but there are some videos of it on youtube

Thanks Joel for the reply. I'd looked at the majority of them as well as scanned this long thread from beginning to end before posting. Been around here for a long time, just don't post much. Still think a demo from one of the short scenario's would be a step in the right direction.

Bit the bullet today and purchased regardless.....Going to be a long night.
johnsonkid

Post by johnsonkid »

How do you take a screen-shot and what folder are they then placed in? Tried searching this thread for it and didn't see it posted. Thanks
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

i'm using captimag
really simple[;)]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”