The terrain movement / combat chart on P79

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

Fred98

The terrain movement / combat chart on P79

Post by Fred98 »

I note that for Clear the AT modifier is x 1

And for Woods it is x 2

Note that for High Ground, Rough and Beach, wheeled and tracked vehicles can move there. So the AT modifier there should be "x1" or else be something else.

That these (and others) are blank is a bit odd.

-

Max 86

RE: The terrain movement / combat chart on P79

Post by Max 86 »

I have found that the manual is either incomplete in some places or tables have numbers in the wrong column or columns have no header explaining what the numbers are. At first glance the manual appears to have a lot of info but on deeper examination it is rather flawed.

A complete review of the tables should be done and a list of unique unit modifiers collected in one table such as armor's +1 column shift against infantry, Commando MPs entering cliffside, Engineer bonus' during assaults, et al.
No problem Chief!
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Are the developers who orginally made this game around anymore?
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Yes that is how we got the beta 1.01 patch. Why they aren't saying anything now, I don't know.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

ORIGINAL: Max 86
I have found that the manual is either incomplete in some places or tables have numbers in the wrong column or columns have no header explaining what the numbers are. At first glance the manual appears to have a lot of info but on deeper examination it is rather flawed.

I'd agree with that. I've been working my way through the Charts and Tables chapter and am struggling to make head or tails of some of the information/tables. A particular favourite is the 10.3. Terrain Defense Values [&:] Any help greatly received.

Cheers
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: PirateJock

and am struggling to make head or tails of some of the information/tables. A particular favourite is the 10.3. Terrain Defense Values [&:] Any help greatly received.

That table relates only to bombardment when artillery is not supporting an attack.

-
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I still do not have the RELEASE draft of the manual, however I do have various other versions still kicking around here, back to the hard-copy from 10 years ago.

What I can do, is sometime within the next 24 hours is try to dig that stuff out so we can get somewhat on the same page, and then I'll try to answere any questions anyone may have.

I remember being somewhat confused as well the first time reading the original, too much information over-load.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98
That table relates only to bombardment when artillery is not supporting an attack.
But how do you use the values? From the manual's text (page 69) I 'think' you take the TDV off the artillery D10 roll value. However the table doesn't just refer to terrain; there's modifiers for the fortification level of, I assume, each unit in the hex as well as for if the unit(s) are dispersed, armoured or non-armoured units. But I could be wrong.

Also is it correct that the TDV for a Town hex is 0 while the TDV for a City is 7?

Cheers
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

And to add to the confusion there are 4 forts listed in the table

Fort  +3
Fort level 3    + 3
Fort level 2    + 2
Fort level 1    + 1

-

PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98
And to add to the confusion there are 4 forts listed in the table
Fort  +3
Fort level 3    + 3
Fort level 2    + 2
Fort level 1    + 1
Fort level 1 to 3 are the unit's fortification level while Fort is an object/layer you add to terrain, similar to town, woods etc.

Cheers
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Jock's got it right. There is a TERRAIN type, FORT for the +3, but there are also MODIFIERS, which are the FORTIFICATION LEVELS, up to +3. I can see where shortening the word could cause a little confusion.
A particular favourite is the 10.3. Terrain Defense Values
An advantage in knowing this table is how to best protect your units from damage by arty fire (or delivering damage). Keep in mind that if you are doing a bombardment (not aiding an assault), you can generally expect a -1 column shift. Furthermore, if you are bombarding a unit that you really don't know much about, e.g. a Fog unit, then you will suffer a -2 shift. (Not sure if this got inserted near there in the updated manual).

This does make sense because if you don't even know what the hell you are shooting at, then you're just hoping to hit something valuable.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

ORIGINAL: Obsolete
Keep in mind that if you are doing a bombardment (not aiding an assault), you can generally expect a -1 column shift. Furthermore, if you are bombarding a unit that you really don't know much about, e.g. a Fog unit, then you will suffer a -2 shift. (Not sure if this got inserted near there in the updated manual).
It is in the Manual but it's right at the end of that section of text and easily missed.

Cheers

Return to “Combat Command Series”