ATG College - First season finished!

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Vic

ATG College - First season finished!

Post by Vic »

latest lessons:
lessson 12 - flak
lesson 11 - engineers
lesson 10 - staff
lesson 9 - cavalry

previous lessons:
lesson 8 - naval operations
lesson 7 - trains,trucks and halftracks
lesson 6 - aircraft
lesson 5 - artillery
lesson 4 - anti-tank weapons
lesson 3 - tanks
lesson 2 - mortar and machineguns
lesson 1 - rilfe and smg

link:
http://www.vrdesigns.nl/

This also concludes the first season of lessons. I will bundle this in a small booklet in the comming month. It will be a very welcome extra to the manual, especially for new players to ATG!

thank you all for your attention!

best regards,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Barthheart

RE: ATG College

Post by Barthheart »

This is a great idea Vic. Well done.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
henri51

Post by henri51 »

I had not realized that infantry was so disadvantaged in attack. Thanks Vic.[X(]

Henri
lecrop

Post by lecrop »

Wise advices, I will follow the articles carefully
Josh

Post by Josh »

Very nice, thanks Victor.
Maybe our  moderator would be so kind to sticky this thread too?
mgaffn1

Post by mgaffn1 »

ATG College - great idea!
Mike
crazyjohn

Post by crazyjohn »

Thanks Vic !
pvthudson01

Post by pvthudson01 »

Thanks! I am still on the fence on this game. I like my scenarios set in a specific period. This is more of a wargame engine right? I mean it lets people create their own stuff but what if people stop making scenarios for it? 
Matrix Member since 2003!
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01
I mean it lets people create their own stuff but what if people stop making scenarios for it? 

We have just started!
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Looks nice Vic

pvthudson01: That could certainly happen eventually. Although it seems quite unlikely since it seems there is maybe a new scenario per week since it came out. In that you would only have the ca 200 scenarios created so far to play. Let me know when you have played them all ´:)

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G
spelk

Post by spelk »

Great idea Vic, will really help those new to the game, and may even enlighten some of the ones that have been playing for a while. I know I still have a lot to learn, so I'll be keeping an eye on your articles regularly.
phatkarp

Post by phatkarp »

This is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered.  I will be reading with interest. 
SSFSX17

Post by SSFSX17 »

I wouldn't say that the exact calculus for infantry on attack vs. defense is accurate, since there's still pinning hits, retreating hits, aiming at favorite targets, and numbers of attacks to take into consideration. Even though infantry on defense with entrenchment have an advantage, they still seem to be limited to 1 attack per man. This means that human wave attacks do not need 4-to-1 or 8-to-1 ratios to dislodge the defenders (although human wave attacks are still inefficient, I've tried them many times in the game engine). Sometimes well-staffed high-morale human waves only need 3-to-1, or even 2-to-1 ratios if the enemy doesn't have machine guns.

I also disagree that infantry's only purpose for riding on armour is to serve as armor for the armour. Tanks typically have poor recon values, which means that they can easily suffer from surprise. And, although they do have many attacks each, they still have to make tries at favorite targets. Infantry have different preferences for favorite targets, and thus may be able to get rid of extraneous units so that tanks can focus on attacking more important targets.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
ghoward

Post by ghoward »

thanks, Vic. I will watch for the next installment.
Lord Karg

Post by Lord Karg »

Very nice, please more installments!  Also, thank you for a wonderful game.
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

ORIGINAL: SSFSX17
Sometimes well-staffed high-morale human waves only need 3-to-1, or even 2-to-1 ratios if the enemy doesn't have machine guns.

...and that is how it should be. Units don't fight in a line evenly distributed, but the attacker can always outmanoeuvre the defender, while the latter has to cover more ground not knowing where the attack is going to happen exactly.

Imagine a situation where the defender has 10 rifle coys manning the frontline (no reserves) and the attacker has 20 coys (ratio is 2 to 1). The attacker can set 7 rifle coys to man his lines, enough to keep the enemy at bay, and break the opposition lines with the other 14 coys at the place of his choosing.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
Vic

Post by Vic »

Just posted another lesson.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

"Oh Vic, More you bad boy! Give us all you got!!! More, More More!!! Don't Stop, Dont Stop. Oh God, Dont Stop you bad boy!"

Seriously, Is lesson 2 the only installment ready so far? - "you bad boy"
Vic

Post by Vic »

Just wrote another lesson. This time on tanks.

http://www.vrdesigns.nl/

best,
Vic
pvthudson01

Post by pvthudson01 »

ORIGINAL: Grymme

Looks nice Vic

pvthudson01: That could certainly happen eventually. Although it seems quite unlikely since it seems there is maybe a new scenario per week since it came out. In that you would only have the ca 200 scenarios created so far to play. Let me know when you have played them all ´:)

Will your mods work with Gold?
Matrix Member since 2003!

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”