Demo first Impressions

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

general_solomon

Demo first Impressions

Post by general_solomon »

ok guys I would like open this for us to discuss gameplay and other thoughts.

for me, i love the snow. it brings another level of immersion. especially the snow animation? can you set the animation to heavy snow?

a job well done and congrats to devs and matrix for standing behind this product.
junk2drive

RE: Demo first Impressions

Post by junk2drive »

Weather is added to the scenario xml after completion. The scenario designer can adjust the density and speed and other things.

Edit: Rick is correct, the map xml has the weather info.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

First impression. The game looks smashing. I'll have to learn to play it yet, but I LOVE the looks of it! Well done, guys. To a golden future! 
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: general_solomon

..... can you set the animation to heavy snow?

a job well done and congrats to devs and matrix for standing behind this product.

That is a medium snow if I recall. There is a 'stock' light snow, and heavy snow. But you can also make your own snow texture to suit your taste. And as Paul pointed out, you can also change the wind speed and direction, and volume too. You can even adjust it so the snow changes direction. Those are all map specific.

Glad you like the snow, it is kind of hard to show in a screen shot.

Thanks,
rick
general_solomon

ORIGINAL: Rick

ORIGINAL: general_solomon

..... can you set the animation to heavy snow?

That is a medium snow if I recall. There is a 'stock' light snow, and heavy snow. But you can also make your own snow texture to suit your taste. And as Paul pointed out, you can also change the wind speed and direction, and volume too. You can even adjust it so the snow changes direction.

Glad you like the snow, it is kind of hard to show in a screen shot.

Thanks,
rick

that is awesome news. for a ostfront game to not have snow is just really not much fun. when the scenario loaded i was like what the hell is up with those dots, i thought it was game bug. then when i hit the start action button, it was like a "ohh no you didnt" moment.

forgot to mention that i am glad you kept the " dan dan dan, dan dan dan tada dan" for those not familiar, its the music that plays when the game loads to the main menu.

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

All the Eastfront games I've ever played had snow in them. If they had winter. What they don't have is snow actually falling. Or that you can set the rate of snow fall or the LOS parameters with it.

PCO has a full range of weather for rain, fog and snow.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
general_solomon

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

All the Eastfront games I've ever played had snow in them. If they had winter. What they don't have is snow actually falling. Or that you can set the rate of snow fall or the LOS parameters with it.

PCO has a full range of weather for rain, fog and snow.

Good Hunting.

MR

I cant wait to get my hands on the full game. you guys have done a great job. cant wait to see where your going to take it now.

Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

Downloading demo now!

Sorry if this question has already been asked: Will the final game version be a stand alone game or does PC:Winterstorm have to be installed?
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

I've just killed some T-34/85s with one of my Jagdpanzer IVs. Awesome. My other Jagdpanzer was finished off by a IL-2, which is less awesome. I like the feel of this game, although it takes some getting used to. And guys....this game looks much better than I expected!
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Noypi53

Downloading demo now!

Sorry if this question has already been asked: Will the final game version be a stand alone game or does PC:Winterstorm have to be installed?

It will be a stand alone game.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Well, I dislike the platoon focus. Otherwise it would be a safe purchase for me. [:(]

Frankly, I don't get why everybody thinks he has to reinvent the wheel, instead of just delivering a CM redux with better graphics. Achtung Panzer suffered from the clumsy interface, for new Combat mission titles right-click control got removed, and Panzer Command doesn't let me control single vehicles.

/edit: missed the point that one can issue orders to sub-units. Will give the demo another run.
Rik81

Post by Rik81 »

Actually, it DOES let you control single vehicles.
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

There are a few unexpected, pleasant surprises.

The camera finally hugs the ground as I move around at level 1. I try to stay exclusively at level 1 when navigating around the map, and this really helps.

Bino view is better. If I press "1" from bino view, I get a look-around 3rd person view. I'm not quite sure what "2" and "3" are for from that view, though.

Every improvement pretty much works as advertised. Its pretty damn good, and I can't wait for the main game.

Here is a criticism: There's too much grass in the demo. Way too much! Yes, we all know PCO now has grass (and I think this is a good thing), but you've overdone it, like putting too much salt, pepper, or hot sauce on food. It absolutely kills my computer performance. I remove the grass (backspace key) and PCO is silky smooth. To be honest, I am playing this game on an older laptop.

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

If you computer can't handle it, grass perhaps isn't a good thing, but I like it. It looks superb and gives my troops the perfect cover when they need it. 
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Lützow
Frankly, I don't get why everybody thinks he has to reinvent the wheel, instead of just delivering a CM redux with better graphics. Achtung Panzer suffered from the clumsy interface, for new Combat mission titles right-click control got removed, and Panzer Command doesn't let me control single vehicles.

Hi Lützow,

You can give orders to individual vehicles. If you want maximum flexibility, use the Engage base order for the platoon and then assign your sub-orders however you want.

With that said, we are planning an overhaul of the orders system for the next release, to include a more straightforward orders mode for those who prefer the CM style and don't want the command layer.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: HintJ
Here is a criticism: There's too much grass in the demo. Way too much! Yes, we all know PCO now has grass (and I think this is a good thing), but you've overdone it, like putting too much salt, pepper, or hot sauce on food. It absolutely kills my computer performance. I remove the grass (backspace key) and PCO is silky smooth. To be honest, I am playing this game on an older laptop.

Grass is pretty well optimized for modern systems with recent graphics cards, but it's definitely an option I would turn off on older systems, along with Shadows. We tried to make sure that PCO would still run on every system that could run Winterstorm and Kharkov, which includes some very old hardware. However, you can't have all the new bells and whistles and smooth performance if you are on the low end of the system specs.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ORIGINAL: Lützow

Hi Lützow,

You can give orders to individual vehicles. If you want maximum flexibility, use the Engage base order for the platoon and then assign your sub-orders however you want.

With that said, we are planning an overhaul of the orders system for the next release, to include a more straightforward orders mode for those who prefer the CM style and don't want the command layer.

Regards,

- Erik

Next release? Entirely new game or a patch to PC:O ?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

That will be in the next major release. We are also planning some expansions to Ostfront and there will also be post-release updates based on the feedback we get on the full release.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Let me compliment you on the demo. Excellent choice, good variety of vehicles, nice map. I was already planning on buying this game, but now my mind is made up entirely. I also noticed it is possible to place tank wrecks before the battle, something I was waiting for. It makes the battlefield look so much better.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

That will be in the next major release. We are also planning some expansions to Ostfront and there will also be post-release updates based on the feedback we get on the full release.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks Erik. Sounds great that you plan to build on this game with expansions and other full blown releases. Too bad you could not surprise us today and release the full game today :)

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”