Elastic Defense

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

general_solomon

Elastic Defense

Post by general_solomon »

hey guys,

I was wondering if the game can simulate an elastic defense or a general tactical retreat?

does the game allow for units to disengage?

I am envisioning a scenario on a large map where you have to use a tactical retreat to a couple fall back position and then counter attack? can this type of scenario be simulated in this game?

i am rally fascinated by this type of maneuver.

I read this article a couple years ago and always wanted to simulate such scenerios:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/wehrmach ... 84#respond

too little is written about this great general.

rickier65

RE: Elastic Defense

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: general_solomon

hey guys,

I was wondering if the game can simulate an elastic defense or a general tactical retreat?

does the game allow for units to disengage?

I am envisioning a scenario on a large map where you have to use a tactical retreat to a couple fall back position and then counter attack? can this type of scenario be simulated in this game?

i am rally fascinated by this type of maneuver.

I read this article a couple years ago and always wanted to simulate such scenerios:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/wehrmach ... 84#respond

too little is written about this great general.

Most of the scenarios in Panzer Command cover a 15 minute to 45 minute battle time, so the type of defensive action described in link doesn't really have time to develop within a scenario.

That said, there are withdraw orders available, and there are times when that is a sound choice. Units that are withdrawing in good ordder can still fire on enemy units and inflict damage.

Thanks
rick
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

There are some scenarios were you can withdraw when things get real hot. Tanks are easy enough but with infantry this often requires that the LOS be broken somehow. With smoke it can be done. It might be possible to suppress the other side. But if you can do why would you be pulling back?
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

There is also a form of tactical elastic defense and tactical withdrawal and defense in depth that does work in Ostfront. I've used it with success, but what is described above is at a larger grand tactical or even operational scale, probably best represented in something like John Tiller's Campaign Series, Combat Command or TOAW.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
general_solomon

ORIGINAL: Rick

Units that are withdrawing in good order can still fire on enemy units and inflict damage.

Thanks
rick

[/quote]

I didn't know unit could fire while retreading. maybe a campaign where you are tasked to withdraw by playing on multiple maps.

general_solomon

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

There is also a form of tactical elastic defense and tactical withdrawal and defense in depth that does work in Ostfront. I've used it with success, but what is described above is at a larger grand tactical or even operational scale, probably best represented in something like John Tiller's Campaign Series, Combat Command or TOAW.

Regards,

- Erik

I would love to see an AAR where you perform an elastic defense. I know you dont like video aar's as a simple aar would work better. again, only if you have time.

rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: general_solomon

I didn't know unit could fire while retreading. maybe a campaign where you are tasked to withdraw by playing on multiple maps.

there is a distinction IN PCO between retreating and withdrawing. I don't think units can fire while retreating, but they can while withdrawing.

Thanks
Rick

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”