Hello Hello, Newcomer on board.

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: The Longest Day brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Longest Day remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign that covers all the airborne and beach landings, expanded map sizes, new hand-drawn historical maps, illumination during night battles and much more!
Imperial Dane

Hello Hello, Newcomer on board.

Post by Imperial Dane »

Good evening.

After having read a rather riveting account on Rockpapershotgun.com
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05 ... -combat-2/

I thought to myself that there might be something to it, jumped in, tried a few demos and settled on the Longest day.

Now i'm certainly enjoying the combat, started out with Utah beach for some reason and well. I can't help but feel something is a bit off.

Playing as the Germans and currently it's day 2. The allies are having a tenous hold on the beaches, most of the airborne have been brutally maimed either by Ost-truppen, fortress troops or elements of the 91st Luftlande division, and the allies haven't really bothered moving off the beaches and i'm currently attempting to persuade them to vacate the beaches by means of Grenadiers with what limited armour support i have.. But i can't help but wonder, is it supposed to be this easy ? And will i possibly get some additional armour elements Since the ones i have keep getting wrecked by naval fire of all the things !

I mean i am enjoying it that is for sure. Quite a different treat from some of the other games i play. But.. Are the allies really supposed to be that much of a pushover ?

Cheers
Imperial Dane.
Tejszd

RE: Hello Hello, Newcomer on board.

Post by Tejszd »

What difficulty level are you playing at?

The hardest game is to make the AI = Recruit and yourself = Elite. It doesn't really change how the AI plays but will give the AI better and more units, vehicles, support, etc. and give you less of those same things. This will require to really try to keep what you have alive or later on you could be in trouble....

Imperial Dane

Post by Imperial Dane »

Well so far Line/Line since i figured i'd not get myself too deep in things. But attrition rate isn't really my problem for the most part. I mean one battle ended up with 40 airborne casualties and only 5 for my osttruppen, 3 of those being wounded and i suspect one of those being a scraped knee..

"Ivan ! Ivan ! I don't think i'll make it ! Tell my famil.."
"Oh shut up Boris and get up ! The americanskis have already left !"
"Oh"

Imperial Dane

Post by Imperial Dane »

Well i have tried those settings and well.. Not much of a difference as such really. I still manage to keep things nicely contained on day 1 with very little trouble at all. Omaha or the older version that came along with the game as well. Same story really, never mind that it gets a bit sad to see the american chaps fumble around on the beaches and never really get off. I mean Point du Hoc might as well be the butter front since the rangers can't even climb the cliffs it seems.

So it rather feels like something is off and certainly that the americans could do with a lot more artillery and air support since ground wise they're floundering.
7A_Woulf

Post by 7A_Woulf »

HI Dane, and welcome to the CC swamp! [:)]

If you want the Americans to have more support, locate the file "campaign.txt", find the lines for support and edit them as you please. (Easy to do, but remember to create a copy of the original for the day you decide to play h2h...)

I think CC is a great game, with a few downsides; -among them is the AI. You will always have a greater bodycount than the AI, and it really don't work as the attacker. Seems like it makes some sort of a plan before the game, then it follows it through despite casualties and your deployment. My five cents are that you should try to play as the attacker, it gives more of a challenge and takes the game to a new level (compared to what you have experienced so far.)

Are you playing with time on? In most cases a 15 min game is the best option.
Imperial Dane

Post by Imperial Dane »

I am playing with time on and the few times i can get to play as the germans as the attacker things are certainly progressing a bit more sensibly in terms of casualties. Otherwise most of the time the situation is usually vast casualties for the attacking american airborne and very low for my defending fortress troops or Ost-truppen.

The few times where it went wrong as the defender for me was either due to weird luck or my own mistakes. But it's just not on the tactical level but also the strategic level where it just seems quite passive, never getting off the beaches.
Concord

Post by Concord »

As with most games, playing against a real person (I use my LAN network) is so much harder than vs AI.

However, I do still play vs the AI from time to time. I'm not expecting much of a challenge vs the AI, but I try and do things like take most of the map in one battle - which usually isn't possible vs a human opponent. I will also try and do it with minimum casualties. Another nice touch is to try and keep decorated units alive until the end of the campaign.

There is one thing I do to make it more challenging...I go into "edit opponent" in the forces selection screen, and give them cherry picked units.

In general, it's a lot easier to be the defender in this game, so choosing to be the Allied attacker against the AI will help too.

A final tip: by all means do some damage to the forces attacking the beaches, but then in subsequent battles, move off the beaches to allow the AI to get a foothold and get some fresh units on the campaign map.
Game on!
Txema

Post by Txema »

Are you using the latest beta patch?

It certainly improves the AI. Try it !!

tm.asp?m=2744891

Txema
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

playing the AI blows.....the only way to get a good game is with a real opponent. log onto Game Ranger and play real players, its the only way to play CC. and when GJS for TLD comes out DL that mod and you'll have a great game to play. then you'll see how CC really rocks!
Imperial Dane

Post by Imperial Dane »

Sorry for the late response, been a bit caught up in different matters. And i'll agree the AI seems, pretty awful even with the patch and other matters and sure i can probably do my best to give it some serious advantages. But.. Here's a bit of a question for any developers if they see this.

I mean they must have been aware of the rather strong limitations of the AI.

So wouldn't it have made much more sense to create a scenario where it wouldn't be such an extreme pushover ? That is. A few days after D-day where the americans have a foothold and such ? With a few more german formations on the field like the 17th SS and such as well. Would create a much more interesting campaign instead of one where i end up beating the Americans so badly with Ost-truppen you'd think i'd been given the 12th SS by accident.

Return to “Close Combat: The Longest Day”