Simple Balancer Fantasy (SBF) Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

GaryChildress

Simple Balancer Fantasy (SBF) Mod

Post by GaryChildress »

A new mod project I'm thinking of pursuing. The mod will stress three qualities:

1. Simplicity: I want to make the game more managable, reducing the number of clicks a player would need to perform in order to accomplish some tasks.

2. Balance: This mod will feature Japanese and Allies in relative parity with each other in terms of strength. Thus when the game starts both sides will be equally likely to be on either offense or defense.

3. Fantasy: Yes, the dreaded "f" word. This is going to be a purely fantasy mod. Basically the only things that will remain true to history will be the devices, aircraft and most of the ship classes in the database. After that all hell is going to break loose with the OOBs and TO&Es. (My apologies to all the historical purists out there for this blasphemy. All I can say is if you don't like fantasy, don't play it.)

inqistor

RE: Simple Balancer Fantasy (SBF) Mod

Post by inqistor »

To reduce number of clicks, you should make few, but really big, land, and air units. So, like whole Corps, or even Armies.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: inqistor

To reduce number of clicks, you should make few, but really big, land, and air units. So, like whole Corps, or even Armies.

I plan on making LCUs division level as much as possible. China will probably be Corps level. Another thing I am considering is playing around with HQs, creating a training command or something for each side. Then you merely need to assign any training units to training command and use the "select all units with this hq" to mass assign all units in training command to do whatever you want. Political Points will be plentiful for switching commands. Leaders will not have as much variation in their stats so I plan on making it less practical to have to switch out leaders all the time.

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Question for the experts:

I want to give the Japanese some CVs in place of the Yamatos. What would be a plausible substitute carrier-wise for the Yamatos, to be launched before January 1941. Also, I'd like to use a carrier design which would allow me to create 2 carriers per each Yamato. In other words, in the span it took to produce a Yamato, I'd like to pump out two CVs.

Any ideas, suggestions on what would be the likely candidate, another Soryu, Hiryu, Shokaku, Junyo, or Unryu? What carrier design should I use? I'd like to keep it to an existing design used in the game, instead of a "never-was".

Thanks.
TR Shrum

Post by TR Shrum »

I'm no "expert", but I would offer this up for consideration:

Yamato = Two additional Shokakus to start. Or one additional Shokaku and the Junyos are availble at "start".

Musashi = Taiho and Unryus begin to arrive 8-12 months earlier than their historical arrival dates.

Shinano = One additional Taiho or "Improved" Taiho (actually designed but never started); Arriving Spring '44 or "historical" Taiho arrival date (July '44).

Kii ?? (Warship Number 111): Keel was laid down in August 1940 and work continued until December 1941; broken up in '42 (30% complete). One addition Taiho or Improved Taiho arriving Fall '44 (Oct ?? or near "historical" Shinano arrival date).

And of course add the extra Air Groups and may "bump" the A/C production numbers to reflect the needed additional replacement capacity due to the extra carriers and air groups. But just a bit so as not make it too A-historical.
FatR

Post by FatR »

Well, that's a lofty plan for a mod... I'd like to see what it ends with.

About carriers: build only Shokaku-class derivatives. Taiho sacrifices much of handar capacity for dubious increases in survivability. It's hard to tell whether Unryus could have been worth it, if avaiable earlier, but they seem to be too small and vulnerable.
The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
TR Shrum

Post by TR Shrum »

FatR makes some very good points. How about this? Make the Shokakus (or a "Improved Shokaku") the "Essex" for the IJN. Production is "standardized" and helps speed launching:

Yamato = Two additional Shokakus to start.

Junyo & Hiyo = One additional Shokaku to start. The same thing FatR said about the Taiho and Unryus could be applied to these two vessels. Convert them to AVs instead of CVs. Cheaper? Faster conversion? Better use for these hulls?

Musashi = Two additional Shokakus arrive late '42 (Oct-Dec).

Shinano = Two additional Shokakus or "Improved" Shokakus (maybe slightly bigger [ie "Long Hull"], larger air groups, more AA, better damage control, better layout of space and compartments, etc.; all I believe plausible within the context of this thread and not too much of a stretch). One arrives Spring '43 and the second Summer '43.

Kii ?? (Warship Number 111): Two additional Improved Shokakus arriving Winter '44 (Jan-Mar).

Taiho: One additional Improved Shokaku arriving Spring '44.

6 Unryus and 1 Ibuki: Four Improved Shokakus arriving between Spring '44 and Spring '45.

I believe that the above would keep things within "historical" context. Even the Improved Taihos could be classified as "Never Weres". I very much like the Iron Storm appoarch and have moded scenarios for it and is pure Alt History. This "Shokaku" option at best could be called "Different History" and is more plausible.

To repeat: Add the extra Air Groups and maybe "bump" the A/C production numbers to reflect the needed additional replacement capacity due to the extra carriers and air groups. But just a bit so as not make it too A-historical.
TR Shrum

Post by TR Shrum »

The new "At Start" Shokakus would be:
Yamato
Musashi
Shinano

The two lat '42 Shokakus would be:
Kii
Ibuki

The five additional Shokakus would be Improved Shokakus (using the Kairyu Sides and Shils) and with an Air Group of 84 or 96 (this would depend on which air group rating you give the original Shokakus [some say it is the game indicated 72, while others claim it should be 84]; I'm part of the 84 crowd); the whold issue of aircraft size and folding vs non-folding wings, crated spares, etc.:
Taiho
Unryu
Amagi
Katsuragi
Kasagi

Any way you go, this gives the IJN three additional "At Start" Shokakus and additional seven Standard and Improved Shokakus. While not equal in numbers or capabilities to the Essex Class; five Shokakus will arrive before the first Essex. These will be followed by two additional Shokakus in '43 (or more depending on "your" scenario design dates of arrival, the five additional Shokakus will make '42-'43 very interesting for the Allies; can you say Indian Ocean Adventure, Coral Sea, Midway, Guadalcanal, Eastern Solomans, Santa Cruz? The War could easily drag on into '46 or even '47 now.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

I am not sure, adding MORE CVs (and air-groups) will reduce number of clicks [;)]

Anyway, it will be probably best to just turn-off Japan production, which will release from another burden. And maybe even increase experience of reserve pilots, to decrease training on-map.

Now, thinking of it, it will be also better to get rid half of transport ships. Maybe even add huge stockpiles of supply into front, to decrease transporting time.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: inqistor

I am not sure, adding MORE CVs (and air-groups) will reduce number of clicks [;)]

Anyway, it will be probably best to just turn-off Japan production, which will release from another burden. And maybe even increase experience of reserve pilots, to decrease training on-map.

Now, thinking of it, it will be also better to get rid half of transport ships. Maybe even add huge stockpiles of supply into front, to decrease transporting time.

Well...I'm hoping not to add new airgroups. Basically I'm planning on converting land based Naval aircraft into carrier airgroups.

Here's is my plan so far:

I'm going to preserve the number of aircraft of each type and the number of squads of each type for LCUs. However, I plan on reorganizing them into larger units. This will involve renaming a LOT of units. I'll probably use generic names like 1st Sentai, 2nd Sentai, etc. A Sentai will be 54 a/c, which can be divided at the players discrestion into 3 groups of 18 planes each. I plan on largely doing aways with groups of less than 18 planes with maybe a few exceptions.
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
Question for the experts:

I want to give the Japanese some CVs in place of the Yamatos. What would be a plausible substitute carrier-wise for the Yamatos, to be launched before January 1941. Also, I'd like to use a carrier design which would allow me to create 2 carriers per each Yamato. In other words, in the span it took to produce a Yamato, I'd like to pump out two CVs.

Any ideas, suggestions on what would be the likely candidate, another Soryu, Hiryu, Shokaku, Junyo, or Unryu? What carrier design should I use? I'd like to keep it to an existing design used in the game, instead of a "never-was".

Thanks.
Gary, my friend, I think you are worrying too much. If this is a balanced scenario, who cares what's plausible. Just go for it. If I was doing one of those, I would have alternating 'Kakus and Unryus arriving on the same dates as an Essex. The whole idea is balance, yeah? And sure, do the Yamato, Musashi, Shinano BBs to counter the NCs, SoDaks, and Iowas. Nobody is gonna scar you for doing that, so long as you say just what it is you are doing.

Frankly, that might be a fun thing. I strongly believe in limited, historically based, CPX-type scenarios that offer relative balance of forces. Have no idea how this would play out in a campaign game, but can imagine something like the old Tactics-II. Making a historically plausible what-if scenario is one thing. Making a 'balanced' scenario is something else entirely.

So throw historicity out the window. It's not Allies v Japan, it's green/brown v red. In that context, you can do what you darn please without worrying about what someone will say.
FatR

Post by FatR »

I should note, that I also think Japanese production should be turned off for such a scenario, particularly if you want a simplification. Too many ways to manipulate it for the player's advantage. In stock gaming the economy is pretty much expected from a player who intends to hold into 1945... in such scenario it will give Japanese a big advantage.
The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I'm tring to figure a way of incorporated the German and Italians into the mod. Basically they will share two bases, Mogadishu and Socotra. The story line will be that the Germans and Italians defeat the European Allies before the US can join the war. However, the British, Free French and Dutch will still have their possessions in the Pacific. I think I'm going to give the French back French Indochina and put some high end French warships in the mod. The British will still control India and Burma and of course the Australians and New Zealanders will be there.

As far as OOBs, there won't be much of anything resembling anything historical. This is going to be one totally whacked out fantasy universe! [8D]

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I agree with Japanese production being turned off. However, I still want the Japanese to have some reason to go for the DEI. Maybe I'll just keep Japanese industry only so far as it is needed to convert oil and resources into fuel and supply points. Other than that, a/c production, engines and armament factories will not exist. Basically the name of the game will be to cart oil and rersources back to Japan to convert into what they need for supplies, etc. The Germans and Italians will be getting their supplies arriving from Europe and maybe the near east via Mogadishu which will be in game but heavily garrisoned.

Ship and LCU art won't be a problem for me, however, plane sides are going to be a b**ch. I need some lessons from Cathartes on how he does his plane sides so mine will blend in the game with his. [X(]

Start date for the mod will be 1/1/1942.

I'll need to run some tests to see if I can split IJN and IJA nationalities between Japan and the European Axis so that the Germans and Italians aren't pulling from the same pilot pool as Japan.

I think JWE is right and this may turn out to be fun. [8D] A lot of new toys to play with, however, I still plan on reducing the overall click factor of the game so players aren't overwhelmed.

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Got some new ship art for my mod:

Italian CV Aquila
German CV Graf Zeppelin
German CVL Seydlitz
French CV Joffre
British CV "Adjective" Class (basically an hypothetical earlier version of Ark Royal. I used Big B's Ark Royal as the base model)

Attachments
CVs.jpg
CVs.jpg (12.15 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

Fi 167 of fictional "Graf Zeppelin" regiment. Group 3(3rd as in torpedo?), squadron 2, plane 5, GZ-EK.

Dont lynch me. [:D]

EDIT: logic with the camouflage is that the carrier aircraft would have probably received standard camouflage, with the darker RLM colors for naval ops. The white wing tips, fuselage band and engine cowling are Mediterranean/African theater bands for FFI.

EDIT2: possible stats? New king of crapplanes. [:'(]

EDIT3: the propeller blades lengthened...

EDIT4: I do have one with the swastika as well.

Attachments
Fi 167.jpg
Fi 167.jpg (36.48 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

And the top-down graphics.

Attachments
fi167topjpg.jpg
fi167topjpg.jpg (27.98 KiB) Viewed 287 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Looks great! As far as the crappy stats go, they'll be mostly up against British stringbags to start out with so it won't matter much.

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Working on a storyline for my scenario.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the RAF gets thrashed in the BoB instead of the historical outcome because the Luftwaffe concentrates on airfields and industry instead of cities. Although the Germans don't invade England, because of the hit on British industry, Rommel goes wild in the desert and runs all the way through to Baghdad, taking the Suez Canal. Malta and Gilbraltar fall and the Mediterranean becomes an Axis swimming pool. Moscow falls in 41. Soviets are still fighting but morale is low.

It's January 1st 1942 and the only thing standing in the way of Japan and all the resources it needs is the US and its Arsenal of Democracy. Britain is hopelessly hanging on by its fingernails in Europe.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Honing in further on a storyline...
1922, the Washington Treaty falls apart. warship production goes unchecked and all the major nations engage in an arms race which successfully curbs the Great Depression. Mussolini and Hitler rise to power in Europe and begin a massive buildup. PM Chamberlain manages to look the other way while Hitler builds up Germany.

World War II starts with the invasion of Poland. Hitler goes on to blitzkrieg his way through France to the coast of the English Channel. The Luftwaffe begins the Battle of Britain, only in this case the Germans are a bit smarter about things and concentrate first on destroying the RAF and then go after British industry. Sea Lion is still a failure and Britain holds out, however, only by its fingernails.

Meanwhile, Hitler preasure's Franco into joining the Axis and a combined German/Spanish invasion of Gibraltar. Allied supplies to the Med are cut off. With the Luftwaffe giving British industry hell and supplies being cut off at Gibraltar, Rommel successfully takes Egypt, the Suez Canal and pushes into the Middle East securing oil fields as he goes. The Regia Marina assumes control of the Med. Meanwhile Moscow falls in 41 and the Soviets are hard pressed to push the Germans back. With all these successes, Hitler and Mussolini turn their eyes on the Pacific and linking up with their Japanese Allies.

How does it sound so far?

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”