Game Suggestions:

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Zoetermeer

RE: Game Suggestions:

Post by Zoetermeer »

I don't remember if this was present pre-1.04, but now in mud turns your units show their adjusted CV for mud as opposed to their "actual" value as it would be in clear weather turns. For the Soviet player in 1941, this makes it especially difficult to assess which formations you need to place in refit mode and focus on getting up to good combat strength, as you're shifting into preparation mode for the winter offensive. Basically every formation in the Red Army shows a CV of 1. During the summer of '41, I have a lot of units on refit, and I gradually scale this back as the winter approaches to distribute my manpower and armaments appropriately. Now, to determine if a division needs to refit, I have to not only look at overall TOE% but also at individual armament TOE percentages (how much artillery a division has, for example). It'd be nice to have a hotkey that you can use to switch between adjusted CV and actual CV. Maybe there's already a way to do this?
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

I think most like playing with FoW on. However, having to tediously click for 15-20 minutes to get all your recon in is simply not fun. This also counts in time for having the AI do it, but since it doesn't do a very good job of it, you wind up flying a lot more to try to figure out where everything is at.

I don't have a good solution on how to fix this, but perhaps something along the lines of distance to the front combined with the number of aircraft and go with aircraft settings (like percent required to fly, etc) and just automate it. Right now, this is my least favorite thing to do in a game turn and it just flat sucks it takes so long, but it can't be helped, especially as a 1941 Axis where you really do need to try to figure out where the Russian units are at.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Klydon

I think most like playing with FoW on. However, having to tediously click for 15-20 minutes to get all your recon in is simply not fun. This also counts in time for having the AI do it, but since it doesn't do a very good job of it, you wind up flying a lot more to try to figure out where everything is at.

I don't have a good solution on how to fix this, but perhaps something along the lines of distance to the front combined with the number of aircraft and go with aircraft settings (like percent required to fly, etc) and just automate it. Right now, this is my least favorite thing to do in a game turn and it just flat sucks it takes so long, but it can't be helped, especially as a 1941 Axis where you really do need to try to figure out where the Russian units are at.

Well from what I have seen, many folks like to really plaster the area with recon. I'm talking a couple hundred or more recon missions. Then there are those that only prefer to do maybe 30 or 40. The ai can run the missions and you can keep hitting the ai button as many times as you like, but it will never be able to figure out where you want it to recon the most. Not to mention if you want to use recon as a deception. I look at recon as an important aspect and never let the ai run it for me nor would I want it to.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Zoetermeer

I don't remember if this was present pre-1.04, but now in mud turns your units show their adjusted CV for mud as opposed to their "actual" value as it would be in clear weather turns. For the Soviet player in 1941, this makes it especially difficult to assess which formations you need to place in refit mode and focus on getting up to good combat strength, as you're shifting into preparation mode for the winter offensive. Basically every formation in the Red Army shows a CV of 1. During the summer of '41, I have a lot of units on refit, and I gradually scale this back as the winter approaches to distribute my manpower and armaments appropriately. Now, to determine if a division needs to refit, I have to not only look at overall TOE% but also at individual armament TOE percentages (how much artillery a division has, for example). It'd be nice to have a hotkey that you can use to switch between adjusted CV and actual CV. Maybe there's already a way to do this?

It would be nice to have a toggle for that, I'll add it to the list, but can't promise if it will happen.
alaric318

Post by alaric318 »

thanks for the repply on my previous suggestion, what Sabre21 said there makes sense, i just have another one, the ability to upgrade obsolete ToE 'on the field' with a expenditure of administrative points on the given unit, i mean in overide of automatic upgrade, in example, you have one german motor 41 german div or 41 german panzer div and you may be able to expend a given value of administrative points and upgrade (if current date is right) the unit to 42 panzer/motor division ToE, so, you can manage to have a better army on less time at the cost of administrative points, thanks for any and all advice and repply,

with best regards,

Murat30.
There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Murat30

thanks for the repply on my previous suggestion, what Sabre21 said there makes sense, i just have another one, the ability to upgrade obsolete ToE 'on the field' with a expenditure of administrative points on the given unit, i mean in overide of automatic upgrade, in example, you have one german motor 41 german div or 41 german panzer div and you may be able to expend a given value of administrative points and upgrade (if current date is right) the unit to 42 panzer/motor division ToE, so, you can manage to have a better army on less time at the cost of administrative points, thanks for any and all advice and repply,

with best regards,

Murat30.

Several people have asked for this type of thing or something similar. Gary's decision to make the Axis production and reinforcement to be as historical as possible won't change in WitE. I'm hoping that when and if War in Europe gets created (a long time from now), a full player controlled production system will be implemented.
lycortas

Post by lycortas »

Boris Shaposhnikov should be removed from the game. He was in ill health through WW2 and died in 45.
He never commanded Stavka, Stavka was headed by Timoshenko for the first week of the war and then by Stalin.

Mike
That's no moon, it's a space station!
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Boris Shaposhnikov should be removed from the game. He was in ill health through WW2 and died in 45.
He never commanded Stavka, Stavka was headed by Timoshenko for the first week of the war and then by Stalin.

He was head of GHQ which was central part of SVGK aka STAVKA.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
lycortas

Post by lycortas »

I don't wish to be rude but being Chief of the General Staff does not make Shaposhnikov head of Stavka. He was a Stavka member but Timoshenko and Stalin headed Stavka.

If you wish to rename the unit 'Headquarters, General Staff' then he should command it till '43 but the General Staff does not command the Soviet military, Stavka does.

Mike
That's no moon, it's a space station!
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

General Staff does not command the Soviet military

It does.

Otherwise editor is free.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
molchomor

Post by molchomor »

One thing i noticed yesterday, was that some of my HI "lacked resources and could not produce", which can be pretty bad for axis and needs immediate attention. After some investigations I suspect this was caused by partisans damaging some rail lines to said resources. However the list of resource sites did not indicate anything being wrong as no damage occured to the production sites themselves of course.

Suggestion: *IF* damaged rail lines stop resources from reaching factories, could this please be made more visible ? E.g. by changing the text <town> <capacity> <damage> in the resource list to red color if the resources produced cannot be shipped due to logistical matters. Or prominently display something in the report.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Not sure if this has been raised before, and not sure how difficult it would be, but it drives me crazy that I need to set a uniform air doctrine for the entire front, from the Baltic to the Black Sea! It would be much much better if each air HQ could set its own air doctrine, so you could have different doctrines on differnents parts of the front.

How difficult would this be?
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Not sure if this has been raised before, and not sure how difficult it would be, but it drives me crazy that I need to set a uniform air doctrine for the entire front, from the Baltic to the Black Sea! It would be much much better if each air HQ could set its own air doctrine, so you could have different doctrines on differnents parts of the front.

+1 & the ability to change your aircraft types & other settings in the National Reserve screen would be helpfull as well.

Also would it be possible to tweak the weather in random mode so that the Axis player could have guaranteed clear weather until the end of September of 1941 before the possibility of mud or worse. I would prefer to play with random weather because it gives you that uncertainty
but fully understand the frustrations of an Axis Player who has had all their good work on the first turn destroyed by mud on turns 2 & 3

Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

In my last post I only suggested UI-related stuff, here go a few suggestions regarding game mechanics:
  • Ready/Unready status - Units now qualify for Ready status if the average of TOE and morale is or exceeds 100. Non-motorized units should qualify for ready status if the average of TOE, morale and supply exceeds 100. For motorized units, fuel should be also taken into account.
  • FOW - Highly accurate access to type and ID of enemy units should be only possible during tactical combat and even then the info gathered should be somewhat unreliable. When enemy units move elsewhere, this info should be lost.
  • Terrain modifiers - It's unclear to me to what degree "CV enhancing" due to terrain depends on unit elements experience and HHQ leader mech or inf rating. Are these factors taken into account? If not, they certainly should.
morvael

Post by morvael »

1. Ability to see if units are in contact with the enemy in commander's report (useful for new rules about refit) - for example "Rft-" would mean unit is in contact with enemy and will not benefit from Refit rules.

2. Ability to lock specific support units for given HQ, instead of locking entire HQ (and the chain with it as well), while the rest could be transferred freely by the AI. That would be something for people with less love for micromanagement, who still would like to attach critical units (heavy tank battalions, siege artillery) to specific HQs or combat units and be sure they would stick.
davbaker

Post by davbaker »

Would it be possible to add an originating "AirBase" Column to the "Pick Air Units for Mission" screen you get when you Shift Click for Air Missons?

I would find it a little easier to determine where I'm getting my airsupport from.

Thanks

FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

How about allowing assignment of air assets to support particular divisions/corps?&nbsp; A recon staffel would increase a division's clear hex detection levels allowing it to see further as it moves, and an increase in artillery effectiveness for any arty elements present to account for aerial spotting?&nbsp; This would make Storches relevent.&nbsp;

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: molchomor

One thing i noticed yesterday, was that some of my HI "lacked resources and could not produce", which can be pretty bad for axis and needs immediate attention. After some investigations I suspect this was caused by partisans damaging some rail lines to said resources. However the list of resource sites did not indicate anything being wrong as no damage occured to the production sites themselves of course.

Suggestion: *IF* damaged rail lines stop resources from reaching factories, could this please be made more visible ? E.g. by changing the text <town> <capacity> <damage> in the resource list to red color if the resources produced cannot be shipped due to logistical matters. Or prominently display something in the report.

I don't see why something like this can't be done. Seems simple enough, I wouldn't expect it to be a high priority at the moment though. I'll add this to my list.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

That would probably take a major rework of that particular function. I'll add this to my list but i wouldn't hold my breath for it.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Manstein63

+1 & the ability to change your aircraft types & other settings in the National Reserve screen would be helpfull as well.

Also would it be possible to tweak the weather in random mode so that the Axis player could have guaranteed clear weather until the end of September of 1941 before the possibility of mud or worse. I would prefer to play with random weather because it gives you that uncertainty
but fully understand the frustrations of an Axis Player who has had all their good work on the first turn destroyed by mud on turns 2 & 3

Manstein63

I really don't see this happening. That would take any disadvantages that the German may face away in the summer but leave the advantages that may occur for him during mud or winter. That would be a pretty lop-sided change. If I was a Soviet player, i would never play someone using a capability like that. If you don't like random weather, you can turn it off.

By the way, mud can't occur on turn 2 of 41, but can once per zone from turn 3 onwards if random is active. Anyhoos, I wouldn't mind seeing some changes to the system, in particular shrinking the size of the weather zones, but that won't happen either, something I wanted to have happen over a year ago but never did.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”