WitPAE + Eagle Against the Sun = Prophetic

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Deca

WitPAE + Eagle Against the Sun = Prophetic

Post by Deca »

Having played gainst the AI enough to feel comfortable, I am about to enter into Civil War bother against brother warfare PBEM in which I will be playing the allies & my brother Japan. Looking to get more into the spirit of the pacific theatre, I decided to do some additional reading on it, one of which is Eagle Against the Sun.

Immediately, I was taken back by how precisely the words of the book are reflected with a nearly uncanny accuracy via the game dynamics within WitPAE.

For instance, in the introduction, "The Major problem involved in defeating Japan proved to be less a matter of choosing the correct strategy than of breaking the logistical bottlenecks - devising means of getting critical items, whether amphibious craft, cargo ships, fighter planes, engineer battalions, or transport aricraft - to the right portions of the battlefronts on time and in sufficient numbers."

Page 83
"...yet the loss of so many aging battleships did not delay the start of an American offensive nearly so much as did the shortage of aricraft carriers, amphibious shipping, and destroyers."

Page 84:
"In hindsight, Japan's geatest mistake was not so much to attack Pearl Harbor as it was to attack the United States at all."

I am enjoying the hell out of this book & astounded by the prophetic nature of those sentences; hats off to WitPAE & a damn fine game.

Although I am extremely confident that before '45 I'll be drinking saki in Tokyo, it's tainted by the knowledge it'll have to be pried from my brother's hands.
"In times of war, the Devil makes more room in Hell"
HexHead

RE: WitPAE + Eagle Against the Sun = Prophetic

Post by HexHead »

Eagle Against the Sun is perhaps the best one volume history on the Pacific War published in the last generation. I've had it a long time and have read it at least three times.

His conclusion is worth pondering.
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
jeffs

Post by jeffs »

He does a good job of looking at various controversies and coming up with seemingly fair assments (the Smith vs Smith situation on Saipan for example)
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
Deca

Post by Deca »

ORIGINAL: HexHead

Eagle Against the Sun is perhaps the best one volume history on the Pacific War published in the last generation. I've had it a long time and have read it at least three times.

His conclusion is worth pondering.
I did alot of researching trying to find a book that I thought would do an excellent job covering the pacific war. I agree that one is probly my favorite one so far on that area.

Although I have not finished it, I did already read My Hitch in Hell: The Bataan Death March by Lester L Tenney. That one left hole in my gut. Also looking over World War II Pacific Island Guide: A Geo-Military Study by Gordon Rottom when I look at specific islands.

Deca

Post by Deca »

ORIGINAL: jeffs

He does a good job of looking at various controversies and coming up with seemingly fair assments (the Smith vs Smith situation on Saipan for example)

It's that part I highlighted in bold that I find refreshing about his writing. I get put off by authors clearly have a bone to pick or agenda to push. Personally, I'd rather have the truth, even if ugly, unflattering, and/or reveals some previously held truth to be not only wrong but completely inaccurate. His style sits well with me and I get the impression that he is trying to tell it like it is rather than sugar coat or sweep certain things under the rug.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Great book, it sounds like. I'll give it a try. For a more operational look at the war, try Shattered Sword and Fire in the Sky. The conclusions of Shattered Sword drive a lot of my PBEM thinking to this day.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Thanks, I was looking for something to read and got this and Kamikaze Attacks of WW2 by Robin Reilly which has some fascinating pictures in it and really looks informative just skimming over it.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”