OT - They got Osama

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sredni

RE: OT - They got Osama

Post by Sredni »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

I have to say, you can't blame people for the mistakes of their leaders.

I have to say I've come over the years to disagree with this. It's just a cop out to absolve people of responsibility to say they're not to blame for what their leaders do. The president, prime minister, supreme leader, heavenly father, ect is just one man. It's the people empowering him that allow him to work his will. And it's their continued compliance that allows those figures to continue their work year after year after year.

If your countries leader does something wrong it's your job as the people to take responsibility and set things right. This applies to all countries and all peoples. Big or small, rich or poor, 1st world or 3rd.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

Though not American, I feel that the celebrations were justified. No one should be allowed to go around killing people because of their so called 'beliefs'. Besides Bin Laden and his bretheren really gloated on the destruction of the Twin Towers so basically, they had it coming. In the end, he was the enemy of the western way of life, not just America and he struck at its symbols. America struck back and showed people that there is a price to pay for such actions - and the higher ups were not exempt from paying either.

Having said that, bin Laden was essenially a peripheral figure at this point. The fact that he was constantly under threat and moving meant that in practice, he was never more than a figurehead barely in contact with his minions. The real mastermind is the Egyptian doctor (el Zawihri??) who was the real creator of al Qaeda. Bin Laden was little better than a rich fanatic with contacts and money, co-opted to boost its image and possibly effectiveness. The only real way of defeating al Qaeda is in the elimination not of single persons (someone will always step in their place) but by taking out its financial, educational infrastructure that can be found on all continents and in forcing so called 'friendly' regimes to turn on them.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: filo78

so not everybody is entitled his own opinion in this thread?
Of course they are. If you're coarse, abrasive, belittling or rude to your audience, they have the right to 'green button' and ignore you in perpetuity too. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
sprior

Post by sprior »

ORIGINAL: filo78

so not everybody is entitled his own opinion in this thread?

Yes, we just don't have to listen to/read it
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

Having said that, bin Laden was essenially a peripheral figure at this point. The fact that he was constantly under threat and moving meant that in practice, he was never more than a figurehead barely in contact with his minions.

However important the others in that organization are, the analysis I've seen in the past 24 hours is that he was very much involved and still directing things. They are (apparently) trying to figure out how long he has been ensconced in that house, but he might have been there for a long time. I presume he was less effective than before 9/11, when he had much greater freedom of movement, but it seems that he was still very much in the thick of things.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: henhute6

World seems to be quite surprised why americans are celebrating. Why not? They have been taught to think OBL as their biggest enemy. I believe OBL is only stronger now, like Ben Kenobi in Star Wars. RIP Osama. He was a great warrior defending Afganistan against Soviet Union. Now he was old and only an icon and americans decided now would be good time to play Osama card to give something to american people. Or did Obama need that victory?

Gongrats to americans for achieving "some kind of victory"!

NOW I'M TRULY ANGRY!!!!!![:@][:-] He was less then 2 weeks older that I am! [:-]
OLD???? That's not old. [:-] Come visit me and this "old" geezer will kick your a$$!!!!!![:D] OLD INDEED!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM? SOME KIND OF GEEZER OR OMETHING? WHERE'S MY SHOT GUN? [:@][:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

[>:]

No it won't. Nor as funny. It generally is masked as something "benevolent". And saying something like "We're here to help". and "This is for your own good". [:@]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

This whole thing is just a great hoax.

Been seeing a lot of sour grapes along these lines from the Finns on other boards lately. They seeme disappointed or annoyed that Bin Laden is no more.

Come on guys. Noone is actually disappointed or annoyed that OBL is dead. This is ridiculous.

This propaganda/hoax is so blatant... but move on, believe the official media/gov propaganda with its ties into the secret service/corporate/industrialmiltarycomplex morass. Be ruled by banksters, war criminals and members of obscure "student fraternities".. if the (your) founding fathers knew...

@Erkki: It's not nice to post in finnish, i don't post German, too. Here's the translation (google): Mostly amused by the celebration from the U.S.. Their attitude is not always at work, and then wonder why all that hate them. One hundred percent self-inflicted, and even just to pay ..

I have to say, you can't blame people for the mistakes of their leaders.

You can if they selected them. Or at least I'm honest enough to.
treespider

Post by treespider »

What I will find interesting is how many lower tier AQ members can now be eliminated now that OBL is gone. I imagine a fair number of AQ members were being monitored and simply allowed to continue to operate in the continuing effort to gather intel on the whereabouts of OBL. Now that OBL is gone I imagine their utility for that Intel is no longer needed.[;)]

What I also find interesting is what is being said/not said about Pakistani Govt involvement. IMO the local police chief was likely bought and paid for by OBL. However at a National level the Pakistani Government was likely notified of an op in progress so as to minimize the chance of an unneeded intercept/confrontation. Publicly however to provide cover for the Pakistani Government due to its internal politics the US Admin denies any such notification.
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: treespider

What I will find interesting is how many lower tier AQ members can now be eliminated now that OBL is gone. I imagine a fair number of AQ members were being monitored and simply allowed to continue to operate in the continuing effort to gather intel on the whereabouts of OBL. Now that OBL is gone I imagine their utility for that Intel is no longer needed.[;)]

What I also find interesting is what is being said/not said about Pakistani Govt involvement. IMO the local police chief was likely bought and paid for by OBL. However at a National level the Pakistani Government was likely notified of an op in progress so as to minimize the chance of an unneeded intercept/confrontation. Publicly however to provide cover for the Pakistani Government due to its internal politics the US Admin denies any such notification.

More than elimination in the physical sense, the biggest blow was to morale. There will be a short surge in recruitment due to his 'martyrdom' but if America can land another such blow in the near future, it may as well fatally injure AQ. In a way, it was the system used when battling terrorism in Europe (look at how the Italians dealt with the Brigate Rosse or to take an extreme case, how many areas in Europe failed to produce resistance movements during WWII). Essentially it becomes a question of maintaining momentum taking out the important heads, depriving the rest of leadership or that 'organisational glue' that such organisations need. Another bigger blow could be dealt if they can unravel the money trails that feed into the organisation.

As to the Pakistanis, the government has long played an ambivalent role. It is well known that it has used the Taliban for their own uses like when they were hired as mercenaries to provoke trouble in Kashmir. They are also fearful of the fact that the west has more in common and more sympathy with India, its greatest rival, while it is the west that buys Pakistani wares. Besides the army and security apparatus is deeply divided on their role in society and what Pakistan should look like. Which is why they constantly woo the Chinese who in the end use them for their own purposes (but still are their major competitors). Pakistan is walking a tightrope internally and internationally but frankly I would interpret the US stand on not informing Pakistan of the operation as a snub - ie indirectly pointing out that Pakistani secret services are riddled with informers and supporters of extreme islam and couldn't be trusted not to alert the intended victim of the raid. Despite all the diplomatic niceties, that would be my interpretation (after all carrying out an armed attack in another country is the most flagrant breach of soverignity immaginable), but sufficiently hazy as not to ruffle international feathers.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Not if the only options were Idiot #1 and Idiot #2.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

I think the important thing is we got him. Took us a long time but in the end he achieved room temperature. The lesson for the rest of them is they are on our list and one day we will get them too. ;)
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

There are other options. A free man should be able to figure them out. If you don't take options (like becoming politically involved yourself) then yes , you get what you deserve. And no sympathy from me. [:(]
PresterJohn001

Post by PresterJohn001 »

I think killed whilst resisting arrest (and hiding behind a woman) then buried at sea is just about the optimum outcome.

I don't think that civilised nations should use the death sentence, but i do think he deserved it, go figure, its a complicated world.

Good riddance to scum.
memento mori
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

World seems to be quite surprised why americans are celebrating. Why not? They have been taught to think OBL as their biggest enemy. I believe OBL is only stronger now, like Ben Kenobi in Star Wars. RIP Osama. He was a great warrior defending Afganistan against Soviet Union. Now he was old and only an icon and americans decided now would be good time to play Osama card to give something to american people. Or did Obama need that victory?

Gongrats to americans for achieving "some kind of victory"!

NOW I'M TRULY ANGRY!!!!!![:@][:-] He was less then 2 weeks older that I am! [:-]
OLD???? That's not old. [:-] Come visit me and this "old" geezer will kick your a$$!!!!!![:D] OLD INDEED!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM? SOME KIND OF GEEZER OR OMETHING? WHERE'S MY SHOT GUN? [:@][:D]

I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I think we all owe Steve a debt of gratitude for providing some fine training to the navy SEALs. Clearly, his 'letting' them hit the back of his head with a paddle served its purpose in training them up. Thanks, Steve, for offering your head in this fashion.

Will you be offering your head to find Al-Queda's number 2 (Zawahari) as well? [:'(]
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Seriously, I can't believe this thread has degenerated so quickly when it SHOULD be focussed on congratulating the ONE MAN who made getting Osama Bin Laden possible.... No, not Steve training the SEALs by letting them hit him repeatedly in the head [:D]

I speak here of course of Chuck Norris who has just come back from " a short vacation". Coincidence? I think not.

Obviously plausible deniability will be maintained and the 160th SOAR and SEALs and CIA and satellites will be named as the means by which he was found and killed but that's just cover for THE NORRIS!!!!!

Attachments
chuck.jpg
chuck.jpg (67.12 KiB) Viewed 56 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Mynok

There are other options. A free man should be able to figure them out. If you don't take options (like becoming politically involved yourself) then yes , you get what you deserve. And no sympathy from me. [:(]

If you take other options, then you will not be responsible for electing the idiots. And are free of blame.

Because no matter what other options there are, only one of the two idiots will ever get elected.

[;)]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Seriously, I can't believe this thread has degenerated so quickly when it SHOULD be focussed on congratulating the ONE MAN who made getting Osama Bin Laden possible.... No, not Steve training the SEALs by letting them hit him repeatedly in the head [:D]

I speak here of course of Chuck Norris who has just come back from " a short vacation". Coincidence? I think not.

Obviously plausible deniability will be maintained and the 160th SOAR and SEALs and CIA and satellites will be named as the means by which he was found and killed but that's just cover for THE NORRIS!!!!!

I am surprised it did not degenerate faster. I remain puzzled at players who are so deaply cynical of the US who profess to play a naval wargame that pits Japan against (predominantly) the US. If they so distrust the world's oldest functioning democracy, what must they think of the wartime leadership of Japan? With whom do the identify and why when playing?
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Wirraway Ace,
Aye, I wasn't surprised it degenerated. These things always do. The pity is that when the two extremes pitch in the moderate people on either side ( supporting the US but not unquestioningly and questioning it legitimately sometiems ) lose out to the extremists on both sides and no rational discussion is possible.

Hence my Chuck Norris post. If we're going to be ludicrous we might as well be completely ludicrous and, hopefully, remind people not to feed the trolls --- although it probably WAS Chuck Norris [:D]

America is far from perfect but neither is it a demon. Just like everything else it has good and bad. The problem is that when moderates on both sides try to point this out either the "US is Satan" crowd or the "America Roolz, if you post anything negative I'll attack you" crowd pile in and destroy reasonable discussion. It is what it is. The internet isn't really a place for reasonable discussion as there are no significant barriers to entry or curbs on behaviour. Hell, even on this forum which was moderated fairly well it has recently, since jwilkerson left and we no longer have a moderator ) become possible to call a whole bunch of people brainless, unwashed, unlaid lieing weasels and get away with it so we're screwed in terms of long-term debate. The extremes will gain traction and the middle will lose out, as it always does.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

Return to “The War Room”