AE Historical Game Project. Cantona2 (allied) vs Fletcher (Jap)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LoBaron

RE: Huge air naval battle at salomons

Post by LoBaron »

Sorry to hear that Ramon as I was really enjoying your AAR.

It is hard to reconstruct the whole war on the level of detail you wanted to achieve, even counting in the complex HRs you developed.

I believe that staying as close to the historical timeline as you attempted to is impossible, first, because of your knowledge about the war itself,
second because the first historical engagements already produce a deviation from the intended chain of events which grows by each single engagement.

That leads to situations which may be artificially historical on a grand scale, but completely ahistorical on a smaller strategic/tactical scale, and this
in reverse forces you again to implement limitations to keep within the pace of the historical grand scale or let the whole situation get out of hand.

That said in my opinion your battle against Cantona was one of the most interesting WitPAE experiments I had the luck to witness.

Thank you for a great read.
Durbik

Post by Durbik »

Congratulations Ramon, but I feel sorry for this AAR to end.

About monsoon rule: we've implemented it in our game with JonReb, and it works in reducing sweeping and CAP - generally no fighter vs. fighter combat. But heavies from Calcutta and IJN bombers from Rangoon still fly in large numbers, making this rule only a minor tweak, not the decisive change.

As a JFB also, I concur about Chinese being understrength. Too easy to conquer China now (but being AFB you can still take many juicy IJA squads and vehicles with you in the process!)
obey the fist!
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Congrats Ramon.  Like everyone else, I was a daily reader and am going to miss this.  I think you will find that the latest beta patch addresses a lot of the issues that you had.  Maybe not all , but many. 

As for china, it appears to be a fragile balance for both sides.  If IJ gets on a roll, it is hard to stop.  On the other hand, if the allies are able to stop IJ even once, it is hard for IJ to get going again.  I'm not sure that isn't accurate.  Historically, we know that China held out the entire war.  But accurate histories portray how tenuous that hold was several times.  Historically, the allies put a LOT of focus on supporting China.  My interpretation of the game at this point is that focus was warranted.
Pax
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Fantastic and very enjoyably AAR. A great and honorable opponent and a good friend too. We are talking about a new game with the new patch or maybe staring one with DBB. We'll see what happens. A very enjoyable game with a supremely gifted opponent.
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Lo Baron, Durbik, PaxMondo,

Thanks a lot for your posts !
I am glad to know you like this humble AAR !. It was my wish. With only an AE player following, I was encourageous to keep on. Thanks a lot for your support.

I hope the next patch will adress the understrenght chinese theatre for the allies. Chinese are too weak to comparision at RL. I hope all issues would be adressed too...for the other hand, I know i was to ambitious with my House Rules looking for a historical envrioment.. I must be more realistic with the engine capabilities.

After official patch will be released, I think about a new game (I hope like Allied, ..for a change after more than 15 months playing with IJA/IJNAF)with Official after-official-patch release or with DaBig Babes (a marvellous work!)

Best of wishes, and thanks all of you for your support.
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Ramon por supesto que mi AAr esta avierto para ti tambien
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Fantastic and very enjoyably AAR. A great and honorable opponent and a good friend too. We are talking about a new game with the new patch or maybe staring one with DBB. We'll see what happens. A very enjoyable game with a supremely gifted opponent.

Jonathan,

Thanks a lot for your kind words. I may to say that you were a very reliable, honorable player. A great opponent and good friend too !.. I must to say it was the best of all my WITP games that I played. An amazing experience.

You have played against the odds at China.. It must be a horrible headache..

I hope all issue (or a most of them) would be adressed with the new patch, and I will take a time to thinks about a new game...

thank you very much for your kindness, and for your time playing against me this game.
Best of wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Ramon por supesto que mi AAr esta avierto para ti tambien

Jonathan ! con mucho gusto entraré a verlo, porque tiene que ser interesantisimo.

Jonathan ! I will take an eye to taste it... must be very interesting !

WITP-AE, WITE
traskott

Post by traskott »

It's a pity. The AAR was superb, and the strategy and the execution too. Congratulations for the victory !!! 
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Thank you very much Traskott !
You are very wellcomed !

Best of wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Sorry to see your match end Fletcher. I always looked forward to your updates and thought you and Cantona were having a fun game despite the frustrations you mentioned. Thanks for all your time and effort puting it together and I look forward to following your next AAR.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Has been a great, well written AAR Sir, and I am sorry to see this game finished. Your writings have greatly improved my understand of playing the Japanese side, and I thank you for this. I wish you luck for your next campaign, and hope to see another great AAR then. [&o]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

SqzMyLemon, DivePac88

Thank very much both of you for your support. I hope to start a new game after official next patch will be released, but I will must to test all changes to take a decision about it. I hope to play the allied side for the next.

Best wishes, and thanks a lot.
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
Admiral Halsey

Post by Admiral Halsey »

Has bee a great AAR, I understand the Japanese play better after read this.

Thanks for your efforts an time, Ramon.
Best wishes,

Jesús (from PDL).
Hit hard, hit fast, hit often.
Bull Halsey
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Jesus, thank you very much for your post and support !
Regards, and good luck for your new PBEM game ! Selecting a reliable player would be essential.

Jesus, muchas gracias por tu mensaje y por tu apoyo !
Buena suerte con tu nueva partida PBEM. La elección de un contrincante de confianza sería esencial.
Saludos y suerte en tu próxima partida PBEM

WITP-AE, WITE
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

I will miss reading your AAR. Looked forward to it everyday I went to the forumn.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

jeffk3510,

Thanks a lot for your kiNdness.
Best wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Fletcher

jeffk3510,

Thanks a lot for your kidness.Best wishes
Ramón

Where was I acting like a child! [X(]
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Fletcher

Post by Fletcher »

Ooopss ! Excuse me, I lost a "N" for your KINDNESS...

WITP-AE, WITE
oi

Post by oi »

Dear Fletcher-San
Congratulations on a well played and triumphant victory. Many players who take the Japanese side ignore China and try to capture as much of the world as possible, until running out of supplies and ships. I see no reason why Japan could not have defeated the underseas menace had they taken the same steps as did the allies in the battle of the Atlantic. I expected that as your air search teams gained in experience, that they would have been very effective at finding and killing allied submarines. This was a most delightful AAR to read, and I want to thank you for taking the time to play not only the game, but to write about it as well.
Oi

Return to “After Action Reports”