41-45 GC Ketza v Manstein63

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Manstein63

41-45 GC Ketza v Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

I see that my esteemed opponent has decided to produce a AAR & in line with his wishes I will not peek (unless invited to).
This will be my first attempt at a grand campaign although I have played the scenarios so there is still an element of learning what I can & can't do. I will not be producing my own AAR because after reading other peoples especiallly PeeDeeAitch's I realise that anything that I attempt will be inadequate.
However I do have a question. How many turns should I wait before dropping airborne units on Berlin? [:D]
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Klydon

RE: 41-45 GC Ketza v Manstein63

Post by Klydon »

Eh, post away with what you have Manny. I think AAR's are at their best when each opponent has their own thread going and the community can observe the thoughts/plans of each commander.

Looks like Ketza pulled a very nasty opening on you. It will be interesting to see how you respond/regroup.

Goodluck!
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Looks like Ketza pulled a very nasty opening on you. It will be interesting to see how you respond/regroup.

Goodluck!
Thanks for your good wishes Klydon very much appreciated

The main problem that the Soviet player has in the first turn is that his forces are fixed so any seasoned axis player has the ability to create vast pockets. There is nothing that the Soviet player can do about it unless a mistake has been made & he actually has a unit in the right spot to take advantage of the mistake. I found Ketza's opening move to be interesting as he appears to have commited a greater amount on 2nd Panzer Armee to the South than I would have in his position.

Anyway the Axis forces will always be dictating the pace & Soviet responses in the early turns, so all I can really do is to slow his advance as much as possible & to try to be in a position to take advantage of any mistakes that may be made.
He may have made one mistake already but only time will tell if it will damage him enough.
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

The Southern Gambit (with 2 corps from 2nd Panzer Group) can be nasty if you aren't ready for it. The tanks will have the great 2nd turn gas and if they encircle near the lines they can have decent gas turn 3. Beware the rapid run to the Dnepr there.
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Working my way through the Soviet 2nd turn (god I hate those corp HQ's forever getting in the way) Nothing major to report all the pockets that were created on turn 1 held as I was unable to link up with my main line of resistance. I was able to link the pockets to the North of the Pripyat  Marshes together a tried to create a line that his infantry would be forced to attack hopfully more than once & if I was really lucky with heavy losses to him. The Northern spearhead has reached Pskov & he appears to be resupplying his divisions by air. I am flying extensive recon missions  looking for the airfield where his transports are based as I have about 100 IL4's that Really Really Really would like to say hello. In case you read this Ketza (& I don't mind if you do) you won't find them but they will find you.[:'(] 

I am also trying to locate the forward elements of 16th & 18th Armee's to try to guage if he will push further forward with his armour & how far that might be. I have also seen a lot of partisan cadre's springing up not sure if it should be happening this early in the campaign & therefore I will not be deliberately flying air suppy missions as I have other plans for the transports. With that in mind I would appreciate it if someone would tell Ketza to let me know if any partisan supply missions are being flown. South of the Marshes his advance moves on. I believe that he is adopting the southern strategy to destroy as much of my industrial base as he can coupled with a strong drive to Lenningrad to free the fun loving Finns. Not sure about his intentions with AGC it depends on what his priorities are but I don't think that Moscow in 41 is a major one. Might post some pictures tonight after I finish my turn. That is assuming that I can figure out how to.
Manstein63

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Just finished the Soviet 2nd turn & as promised here are some screen shots This is Southwestern Fronts area of opperation

Attachments
WitEt2South.jpg
WitEt2South.jpg (246.3 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Another Screen shot Around Riga as I said I have been using recon to try to find where the axis transports are

Attachments
WitEt2North.jpg
WitEt2North.jpg (219.25 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Ye shall not find them!

BTW go ahead and read the AAR. I really don not give away any long term strats anyway.
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Finally a view again from the North he managed to capture Pskov much to my annoyance which means that the first line has been breached so I withdrew back to see how far he will stick his neck out without Infantry support.

Attachments
WitEt2NorthPskov.jpg
WitEt2NorthPskov.jpg (206.02 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

ORIGINAL: Ketza

Ye shall not find them!

BTW go ahead and read the AAR. I really don not give away any long term strats anyway.

Oh but I did
Thanks Ketza if you are sure you don't mind I would love to have a peek as I always have enjoyed reading your AAR's
Manstein63

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

The Germans don't see Soviet partisan supply missions as far as I know.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
76mm

Post by 76mm »

You should be able to see the partisan supply flights in your battle overview mode. If you don't see any little red parachutes, there aren't any supply flights.

What other plans do you have for the transports? I personally would crank up the supply flights, the partisans can do some serious track damage once they get going...I haven't seen the Germans go out of supply yet because of it, but it should hamper movement of reinforcements, and if nothing else is very satisfying.

In my game with Ketza, I periodically tried to attack the bases with the transports. Every now and then I achieve decent success, but generally my planes suffer heavily, so I don't do it very often any more. This could have changed with all of the patching, so let us know how this works.
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

What other plans do you have for the transports? I personally would crank up the supply flights, the partisans can do some serious track damage once they get going...I haven't seen the Germans go out of supply yet because of it, but it should hamper movement of reinforcements, and if nothing else is very satisfying.

In my game with Ketza, I periodically tried to attack the bases with the transports. Every now and then I achieve decent success, but generally my planes suffer heavily, so I don't do it very often any more. This could have changed with all of the patching, so let us know how this works.

I would love to tell you what my plans for the transport aircraft are but as I am allowing Ketza to look in if he wants just as he has extended the same courtersy to me I would rather not let him have any more information than he can get himself. suffice it to say that its an idea that I have had & it depends upon other factors as to whether it will work or not.

IMHO there should not be any partisans availiable in the earlier turns as I didn't think that the Germans had had enough time to sufficiently alienate the general population. (although I don't know for certain) However this goodwill gesture will only last until the end of July & then the supply flights will resume. BTW just installed the 1.04.15 patch which is supposed to resolve this issue so we shall see.

Recon has 2 functions the first being the ability to find where the enemy are the second is to guage the strength of his air defenses. Very small numbers of german fighters where coming up to meet my recon & the same held true for the airfield attacks that I made. If it doesn't do anything else it may make him move the transports out of range of my bombers or increase his cap, as well as getting him used to the idea of reacting to me.

Look at it from this point of view every plane or tank that gets destroyed is one less that can be used against you. & every time that he flies a mission or moves a unit he increases their fatigue levels & makes it more likely that you can cause some damage to them.

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Turn 3 Just installed 1.04.16 update here is a Screenshot of the Lvov pocket Soviet troops seem to be more resiliant now than in earlier versions. I wonder if the same will apply to Isolated German units? Unfortunately they will not be able to
survive mutch longer but I will use them to sit on the railway lines to slow his rail conversion.
Manstein63

Attachments
WitEt3South.jpg
WitEt3South.jpg (251.95 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

One problem on turn 2 I transferred all these planes from the National Reserve to one of the Southwestern front air bases 206 planes ready to be used this turn & I go to the airfield this turn to find that they have nearly all been damaged was no airfield attack. I know that there can be training accidents but 184 planes in a turn seems to be a bit excessive.
Manstein63

Attachments
NightBombers.jpg
NightBombers.jpg (169.42 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Interesting with the planes, wonder what the deal is?

I usually keep all my planes in the NR until a bit later (Turns 6-9), basically whenever a front firms up I will put some planes back in for support.
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Soviet Turn Five at last the Fun Loving Finns Have decided to make their move. So the Russian will now withdraw back to the Lenningrad Halt Line this should free up troops for use in the defense of Lenningrad.

Attachments
Turn5Finland.jpg
Turn5Finland.jpg (225.13 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

The Luga Line South of Lenningrad I fully expected Ketza to assault this on turn 4 was suprised that he didn't. His infantry must have been further behind his tanks then I thought.

Attachments
Front Line..nningrad.jpg
Front Line..nningrad.jpg (234.67 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

The Vinnitsa Pocket Managed to reopen this pocket on turn 4 but new that ketza would lock it back up this turn will use the trapped forces as best I can

Attachments
TheVinnitsaPocket.jpg
TheVinnitsaPocket.jpg (221.83 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Odessa If I only had some Cavalry availiable in the area oh what fun I could have.

Attachments
Odessa.jpg
Odessa.jpg (196.33 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

Return to “After Action Reports”