Where the Diplomacy??

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Carl4243

Where the Diplomacy??

Post by Carl4243 »

Hi guys, i just bought this.. so far i played 3 short games where i got my ass handed to me within the first handful of turns. although i started learning and got abit better each time i am unable to find the diplomacy stuff, so far this is just a FFA... i want to go on Large maps with max amount of AI's and slug it out working the diplomacy and allies to bring people down... not have a gang bang with all 14 AI surrounding me within the first 5 turns. This is on the random maps btw... so where my Diplomacy as advertised??

Without it i am very disapointed and frustrated with this game... with it i can enjoy it alot more as i go peace with the other nations so i can build up abit rather then have these rushing bang bang fights on all 4 sides.
DakaSha

RE: Where the Diplomacy??

Post by DakaSha »

No diplo with AI's. Only peace until one declares war
[:(]
Vic

Post by Vic »

Diplomatics for the AI could be scripted, but for the default scenarios i did not do that because it makes the AI to vulnerable to backstabbing and betrayal of alliance.

If you like diplomacy i would seriously advice a multiplayer PBEM game though.

best regards,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

If you are playing a 1 Town Start game, by default everyone is at war. Vic has stated he will change that to a default of peace in the first patch.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Carl4243

Post by Carl4243 »

Yes i been playing 1 town games cause i like to start from the beginning, i play onthe stone age option as well... or at least i tried to... it's impossible when you trying to win 1 war and you got 3 others comin on your flanks and rear... it's stupid IMO.

i dont like starting with already established armys and territory, it throws me off and confuses me. it doesnt feel like its mine, it feels like i was given someone elses stuff.
i dont know how the troops were setup,
i have to try and figure out what i do have and dont have,
i have to try and re-organize the units
i haved to redo all the build order once i figure out what i am lacking and tried to re-organize the troops
i have to try to gain awareness of the situation and my surroundings rather then growing into them.
i basically have to go threw everything, just to set it up the way i wanted it rather then have it from the beginning the way i want it.
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

ORIGINAL: Carl4243

Yes i been playing 1 town games cause i like to start from the beginning, i play onthe stone age option as well... or at least i tried to... it's impossible when you trying to win 1 war and you got 3 others comin on your flanks and rear... it's stupid IMO.

i dont like starting with already established armys and territory, it throws me off and confuses me. it doesnt feel like its mine, it feels like i was given someone elses stuff.
i dont know how the troops were setup,
i have to try and figure out what i do have and dont have,
i have to try and re-organize the units
i haved to redo all the build order once i figure out what i am lacking and tried to re-organize the troops
i have to try to gain awareness of the situation and my surroundings rather then growing into them.
i basically have to go threw everything, just to set it up the way i wanted it rather then have it from the beginning the way i want it.

Actually YMMV - that sounds interesting and trying to take on a situation you inherited from the previous commander that was cashiered and now its your job to turn around... I like that kind of thing. Yet, I understand why some wouldn't and your starting options should have enough depth to satisfy the preferences of many different players.
Mark
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

All you have in a standard random game with an at start nation is a plain infantry army consisting of three infantry units and an engineer unit in each city . You get a Supreme HQ and depending on the physical shape of your empire may be another HQ or two. The first major task in this type of random game is to reorganize your production. You also have enough at start PPs to research one or more new things.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
phatkarp

Post by phatkarp »

It took me a game or two to get used to the standing armies option.  In my games so far, the "standing army" has consisted of an HQ, and a garrison in each of my cities consisting of 3 infantry divisions and 1 engineer division.  I just reorganize and reinforce the "standing army" and go from there.  
Carl4243

Post by Carl4243 »

well when you put it that way Webizen, it doesnt sound so bad, but from my point of view it was overwelming and not what i wanted.   i'll try again and see if i can get used to this...  i hope that patch comes soon though for the single town starts as i would enjoy that more.

Thanks for the comments guys, i'm not tryin to troll or anything btw, just was very upset last night and felt i wasted $45

EDIT:
I like the concept of this game, and it looks like a sold turn based strat game, imo the major lacking part right now is diplomacy and tooltips...

i would like to add that there a major lack of tooltips... this would be very handy, cause i dont even know what half the options in creating a random game mean, nor do i understand or have info on many other game aspects. and before you guys say it, i shouldnt have to launch up my browser to search in a half complete wiki for a game i purchased, it should come with the tools i need to understand and play the game without having to use a 3rd party solution.
Casus_Belli

Post by Casus_Belli »

I agree about tooltips. Again it goes to DakaSha's point about polish.
Furthermore, Carthage must be destroyed.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

It sounds like Carl prefers the "Civilization" start, where you start from scratch and have to build it all yourself. I must admit that I enjoy that kind of sandbox beginning, too. Maybe in some future patch we'll have the option of either kind of start. 
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”