DW vs. Armada 2526

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

torontorock

DW vs. Armada 2526

Post by torontorock »

Hola all. I was just curious if any Distant Worlds players also play Armada 2526 and, if so, how you feel the two games stack up against one another. It seems by thier descriptions that they are pretty similar but since I don't own either I was wondering how they compare. Have a good day all :)
cookie monster

RE: DW vs. Armada 2526

Post by cookie monster »

DW is the best!

I was wondering the same thing myself.

The youtube videos of DW look alot better than Armada though.
Data

Post by Data »

I've played both but I'm in the DW camp for sure. This has come up several times before, along with comparisons between DW and GalCiv and many other 4x games.
I'll see if I can locate the thread again and reference the links here.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Data

Post by Data »

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

I was interested in Armada too, but decided to stick with the DW in the end.
Star Ruler is another such case. It looks great and has great potential, but currently lacks some very basic things of 4X games. I may try it out some day though.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

Still lacks them? Last time I checked they were patching it even faster than DW [:)]
I also agree that Star Ruler has great potential.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

K! This is what I "know", so correct if necessary. No bashing intented.

Star Ruler seems to lack any kind of race customization or different races alltogether. Kinda basic thing in 4Xs, so it feels kinda odd. One of the basic things for me in any 4X is good diversity of (alien) races.
Diplomacy system has weird feature, that allows you to contact other "races" when you haven't even met them.

Anyway, this was just what I've picked up. It's so damn hard to keep up with patches as there's so many of them. Guess they are doing something right. [:)]
martok

Post by martok »

Since I'm lazy, I'll just link to my response to this question in another thread from yesterday. [:'(]

The short short version: It's an apples & oranges comparison. However, for me, Armada = apples and Distant Worlds = oranges, and that while I like apples more than oranges, I do still very much like my citrus from time to time. [:)]

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Firgof

Post by Firgof »

J HG T: Racial Customization was added in a few months ago along with an option in New Game (Default: Off) which makes it impossible to conduct diplomacy with an Empire which you have seen neither a ship or a planet of.  I recommend that you boot up the game some time with the latest patches (1074 atm)and see what all has changed.  I bet you'll be surprised how much new stuff has been put in since you last played, seeing as you weren't aware of the racial customization addition.
Data

Post by Data »

Good to hear that SR continues to be improved as well, welcome to the forum Firgof.
Firgof

Post by Firgof »

Thanks, Data. :)
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Actually, Firgof, I haven't even tried the game. I've only followed the forums every now and then. Sounds like I should definetly grab the "new" demo of Star Ruler some day. Seems like the game is getting better and better everytime I hear about it.
Darn, If Star Ruler turns out to be a good game, I have yet another timesink.
When I was younger I played Red Alert for 1,5 years without touching anything else, and Descent 2 and Death Rally... *Grumble, Grumble*
Data

Post by Data »

When I was younger I played Red Alert for 1,5 years without touching anything else

That reminds me of my own MOO2 obsession, we were easily absorbed and not well versed in the ways of searching the internet....and we lacked proper funding.
Still, I think we're better at managing time now even if we play a dozen or so games instead of only one. [:)]
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

Quiet round here...

Just clearing out some tumbleweed!

Bought Armada plus expansion today plus CIV V.

I shopped around and got some bargains, some places were not competative.

I will have to wait for them in the post I'm in no rush, even though I would have preferred download onlys, but they were cheap.

So another learning curve to climb.

I will have to check out the Armada forum, but it sure is dead in there (I realise the game programming company has it's own forum).
martok

Post by martok »

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

So another learning curve to climb.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Armada 2526 has a much gentler learning curve than most 4x titles I've played (including Distant Worlds). [:)]

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

I will have to check out the Armada forum, but it sure is dead in there (I realise the game programming company has it's own forum).

Yeah, more of us are posting over in Ntronium's forums than here. Also, I think most folks are just too busy playing the game to post much. [8D]

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Alexander737

Post by Alexander737 »

Hi all, new to Distant Worlds

Funny, no references to Sword of the Stars... I loved that game too
Data

Post by Data »

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum. There are lots of references to SOTS, only in other threads....this is kinda related to Armada
Alexander737

Post by Alexander737 »

Thanks, yeah, sort of put my foot on my mouth there...

Anyways, this looks like a great game, hope to read more about what you guys post. I've been reading a lot of strategy posts, specially by Data and CookieMonster, I just wished I had some time to actually play it...
Data

Post by Data »

It's not that bad considering that when you'll have the time you'll realize you'll need more than you thought......DW universe is freakin huuuge, and it's teeming with events. [:D]

Return to “The War Room”