ATG: Wishlist thread

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Missouri_Rebel

RE: ATG: Wishlist thread

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I totally agree with Larry's suggestion 2. Mouse clicks are needed bad. For example,when 'clicking' stacks, the unit display doesn't refresh briefly nor does it make a clicking sound so there is virtually no way to tell when you are cycling through similar units.

That and +7 for the map zoom.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
SSFSX17

Post by SSFSX17 »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel
I totally agree with Larry's suggestion 2. Mouse clicks are needed bad. For example,when 'clicking' stacks, the unit display doesn't refresh briefly nor does it make a clicking sound so there is virtually no way to tell when you are cycling through similar units.

I think the real problem might be that it is difficult to tell which unit is highlighted/selected within a hex. This also applies to choosing which air units to participate in an airstrike, which units participate in an attack, etc. There was much more clear highlighting/outline boxing in the original AT.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

On the top of the Production Overview it would be nice to have a Supply Summary similar to the summary for PP, RAW, and OIL.

On a units LOG screen it would be nice to see predicted fuel costs for movement/combat.

Thanks. Great, great game.
Phil
aka SailingGuy

To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity of dogs.
~Aldous Huxley
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

Another idea:
A button just below the map that allows you to go DIRECTLY to the Production Overview without having to cycle through finding a production city, clicking the factory icon, and then clicking the Production Overview button.
Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

At the top of the screen you have...

OIL
WHITE = Current Amount
YELLOW/RED = Projected Usage in Production
GREEN = Projected New Production

Is OIL ever used in Production? If not, why not have...
YELLOW = Oil used this Round

Also...
"Useage" should be spelled "Usage" and
"Ammount" should be spelled "Amount".
Phil
aka SailingGuy

~Aldous Huxley
SSFSX17

Post by SSFSX17 »

ORIGINAL: SailingGuy

At the top of the screen you have...

OIL
WHITE = Current Amount
YELLOW/RED = Projected Usage in Production
GREEN = Projected New Production

Is OIL ever used in Production? If not, why not have...
YELLOW = Oil used this Round

It is possible for some types of production to use oil. In the standard game & scenarios, nothing does this, but it can be made so by a modder.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
gunnergoz

Post by gunnergoz »

1. I'd like to see the ATG random game setup allow me to pick my "people" or regime, whatever you call it.  Also the opposing forces' regimes.

2. It would be sweet if the map icons for different level resources were different, so one could see at a glance which resource hexes needed to be upgraded.

3. NATO counters option should be built in (I know, I know...)

4. Something like generals from Civilization...characters with special leadership abilities that could be attached to armies and add skills/abilities/extra morale, etc.  Perhaps a "war college" that could be built in a city to create such generals and when upgraded, make even better ones. 
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

I love this game.

But one improvment I'd like to see
is the mouse wheel being used more often
in the lists.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
Sweed

Post by Sweed »

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

1. I'd like to see the ATG random game setup allow me to pick my "people" or regime, whatever you call it.  Also the opposing forces' regimes.

Came in here to post this suggestion. Guess I'll just second it.
Stardog

Post by Stardog »

Vic,

Love the game![&o]! I'm Addicted[:D]!!!, the Wife hates it![:@]. LOL
Is it possible in Random Game Generator to put in a sci-fi / space battle option in world type?

Keep up the great work!!!

SD
Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments.

Frederick the Great
Ande

Post by Ande »

I noticed the feature to save down events as textfiles. I think it would be nice if the reverse was possible, to interpret written scripts. I know this is a significantly more complex operation and it would require quite a bit of syntaxchecking but I really prefer writing code and consult reference pages when I need to over clicking a lot and selecting from unending lists.

Stardog

Post by Stardog »

Paratroopers

In the future could there be upgrades for Paratroops? Just a thought....

SD
Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments.

Frederick the Great
Casus_Belli

Post by Casus_Belli »

So my votes, for what they're worth, go to (in no particular order):

Sound sliders for both effects and music + more feedback sounds (but with an option to turn off nerve-jangling battle sounds)
Remember Random Game settings
Unit templates and optional automatic replacement as discussed elsewhere - would save a million clicks and make organisation much easier [&o].
Mouse wheel zoom (More levels of zoom) & lists
"next city" or "next HQ (at this command level)" buttons somewhere appropriate: saves hunting through OOB or on map .
Different icons for level 2 resources, etc. Does building a road to a raw/oil deposit do anything useful? It should. Also different road and rail networks with significantly different capabilities.
Are there factory upgrades? That'd be cool.
More control over random game generator.
NATO counters option & more realistic pictures.
Better highlighting plus a way to select and move all units in a stack, or at least several at a time - would save clicks.
Leaders
Direct button for production overview and from there to highlighted city centred on map (already being done).
Do not disable End Turn warning! It has saved me many times.
A dog who thinks I'm Napoleon. Mine doesn't [:(].

With all this discussion, and someone who actually listens to it, this fabulous game can only get better! For Vic:
Furthermore, Carthage must be destroyed.
Casus_Belli

Post by Casus_Belli »

I also reckon it would be great if you could give orders through HQs, at least line HQs. So you click the HQ and there's an option to order all units attached to this HQ to (if possible) move to or attack a particular hex, embark on cargoships, do a strategic transfer, set supply levels or other orders I can't think of at the moment (draw replacements?).

This would also save a lot of tedium and make you feel more like a high-level commander. I have no idea whether it would be easy or hard to code, but would be a good enhancement, I reckon.
My two cents...
Furthermore, Carthage must be destroyed.
Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

For my own use I lowered tone of startturn.wav with audacity.

Jafele

Post by Jafele »

It would be interesting to barter resources with other players, buy units and resources (supply points, raw, oil). Being realistic, this kind of commerce should be done by cargoships (needing to move to destiny just like another ship). In this way submarines could be more active.

What about the market? Diplomacy can be an important fact to alter the value of things. All these ideas could be included in the game in an easy way.

Just imagine this... For sure the game would become extremely amazing and complete. War is not just a matter of attacking and defending with rifles.

Cheers
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
henri51

Post by henri51 »

ORIGINAL: Sweed

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

Came in here to post this suggestion. Guess I'll just second it.

This is already possible if you press edit and save the scenario before beginning to play as described in another thread.Anotehr thread also describes how to change the nation names.

Another thing I would like is to have the option of captured cities being able to produce units, perhaps after a delay of 4-10 moves to change their culture.

Henri
springer

Post by springer »

Wishlist item: Home territory cities should be top of screen during production.  In default mode, there are only a handful of cities that can produce the people who carry on the basic war duties.  These cities should be at the top of the screen regardless of HQ they feed. Similarly, there should be an option to order cities by category (factory vs. occupied(PP producing) regions).  The current system's ordering appears relatively arbitrary.

In terms of critique:
I bought the ATG to support Vic's ongoing process of updates.  I think ATG is great, particularly in terms of mod-ability, and I want to support Vic's fantastic, ongoing project (which is supplemented by a great community).  I also love the move toward resources and oil (though I feel myself building WWI armies now, with just a rapier of armor striking power. But I like it!). However, I think that the AI is only interim.  As per Vic's comments elsewhere, I think that the best AI programming will not require advantages such as a 25% move modifier or a slight production advantage.  (Also, I disagree about the human-to-human vs. human-to-AI emphasis, I think your best colleagues in making AT better play each other, but I'm wiling to bet that the majority of us, like me, enjoy the flexibility of human vs. AI (e.g., I play a quick game when I can squeeze in a spare couple of hours after work).  I like the ATG and will support it in my limited capacity, but I am looking forward toward the third iteration where the AI is somewhat stronger and needs no cheats.  (The "no cheats for AI" is a gold standard for me, though it may not be fully obtainable.  I recognize that in a game as flexible as this, such a standard may be a chimera.)

edsan

Post by edsan »

Tons of good ideas. Adding to the list for Vic's consideration...for those of us that want the option to not get "too deep," please make major ideas/areas "selectable." i.e. I would LOVE to be able to turn off Oil and Resources in ATG (is there a way through the editor....someone PLEASE advise if there is?).

Also, please post how to disable the "AI cheats" one by one. Be very specific on each for non-editor/newbies like me. Thanks.

As mentioned, having additional AI selectibility would be great. AI--, AI-, AI, AI+, AI++.

Maybe have a master "dumb player" switch that disables all the deeper complexities for simple play, many mentioned above that might be incorporated. :-) "....'ya gotta ask for the order"

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Madlok

For my own use I lowered tone of startturn.wav with audacity.

Bing ! I have audacity. I never thought about playing with the sound files with it. Now I'm going to look into it. That freaking end of turn snare drum and the divebomber sirens are not going to keep on bothering me.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”