I've never seen this before

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sredni

I've never seen this before

Post by Sredni »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Merak at 48,97

Japanese Ships
BB Ise
BB Fuso
CA Nachi

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 25
Port hits 8
Port supply hits 1

E8N2 Dave acting as spotter for BB Ise
BB Ise firing at Merak
BB Fuso firing at Merak
CA Nachi firing at Merak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never seen "E8N2 Dave acting as spotter for BB Ise" before, though I can't be sure it isn't super common and I havn't just overlooked it. Would that be the float planes set to recon that gives that message? And would they have to be set to night recon to work for a night bombardment?
Night Naval bombardment of Makin at 136,125

Allied Ships
BB Warspite
CL Trenton

Japanese ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

BB Warspite firing at 5th JNAF AF Unit
CL Trenton firing at 5th JNAF AF Unit

---------

A bombardment I ran which happened to hit the same day but didn't have that message. I hadn't bothered changing her float planes (if she has any) away from naval search.

And le sigh at 200 mines at merak doing jack squat heh. Though I guess I can't complain the japs are bombarding a base I don't use, won't use, and they'll probably want to use themselves.
CV 2

RE: I've never seen this before

Post by CV 2 »

Yes, I have seen it before. Not sure what the requirements are to be able to use them as spotters (IIRC, the times I have seen it was a night bombardment but could be wrong on that - really didnt pay that much attention to it).

As for the mines, most likely the Jap is hitting from long range which reduces the effect of your mines dramatically. Been that way forever.
Hemmingway

Post by Hemmingway »

I've had good success using spotters during night bombardments. They seem very useful as they greatly increase the impact of the bombardment. I've gotten them by setting the BB planes to flying at night; recon; and selecting the hex I plan to bombard.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

How are they spotting at night - looking for camp fires?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

IRL they dropped aerial flares. Did it over Savo prior to the naval engagement as well as several bombardments.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

just make sure you set it to whatever phase you plant to bombard during
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
CV 2

Post by CV 2 »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

just make sure you set it to whatever phase you plant to bombard during

No. I have never set mine to any night mission (ever), and I have seen them quite a few times. Daylight/night time mission settings has nothing to do with it.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

And, using them for recon when you are bombarding will raise your dection level of the target and give you a better chance to do some damage.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Sredni

Post by Sredni »

I ran some tests rerunning the turn. With the patrol planes on the BB and CL set to night recon with commanders choice I got:

Allied Ships
BB Warspite
CL Trenton

Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Port hits 7

Walrus II acting as spotter for BB Warspite
BB Warspite firing at Makin
SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CL Trenton
CL Trenton firing at 5th JNAF AF Unit

And with their planes set to daytime recon commanders choice:

Allied Ships
BB Warspite
CL Trenton

Japanese ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Port hits 11
Port supply hits 1

BB Warspite firing at Makin
CL Trenton firing at Makin

So we do need them to be set to recon, and they need to be set to the same time frame as the bombardment will take place during, and commanders choice works fine without the need to select the target manually.

The damage inflicted is variable enough that we can't judge by my tests whether the spotters help much if at all. I suspect that the effect can't really be judged when it's just a BB and a CL doing the bombarding, and that the variable damage range is probably big enough that you'd need to run repeated large scale tests to figure out how beneficial spotters actually are, though I don't doubt that they are beneficial.

After this though now I'm wondering if land based recon helps if it's set during the day. If I'm re-coning a base for bombardment I always get the recon going the day before, so that the detection levels are up before the bombardment hits. I wonder if just setting the recon to night recon the same day would have the same effect, or would the ships get there before land based recon set to night? And if daylight recon just ups the detection levels during the day and if it falls again during the night when the bombardment groups get there.

Anyone know if night air ops take place before naval ops? And if it doesn't would land based recon help a bombardment the same turn if set to night? Or are ship based recon planes a special rule in regards to improving bombardments?
CV 2

Post by CV 2 »

No, they do not HAVE to be set for nighttime. Perhaps a greater chance of it if they are, but as I already said I see it occasionally, and I have NEVER had any of my spotters set to night missions. Ever.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”