sonobuoy fields

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
ddural

sonobuoy fields

Post by ddural »

I have finally figured out how to drop sonobuoys and use my dipping sonar. (Thanks Warhorse64). Does anybody know how to make a sonobuoy field? I remember in the Harpoon II game it was easy to create a patrol zone. You added waypoints and created a mission. That was it. I have created course paths to have a helo or Viking circle around a contact and drop buoys manually, but there has to be a better way.

Thanks

Ironhand125
ironhand125
FreekS

RE: sonobuoy fields

Post by FreekS »

I think if you make an ASW mission and assign a buoy carryinghelo or plane to it it will drop rows of buoys within the refpoints.

Freek
Warhorse64

Post by Warhorse64 »

In HCE, if an air unit with sonobuoys is assigned to a formation patrol, it will drop buoys at random points automatically throughout its assigned patrol sector. This seems to occur at a rate of about 1 buoy per minute, so be aware that most fixed-wing ASW aircraft have a lot more time on station than sonobuoys; the buoys expire after a relatively short time, meaning that for the last third to half of their patrol time, your ASW aircraft are reduced to hoping for a lucky visual sighting or MAD hit. Absent a formation to patrol within, you are reduced to deploying the buoys manually. I'm pretty sure that automatic non-formation ASW patrols are on the wish list for game improvements.  [8D]
ddural

Post by ddural »

Thank you for all the help guys. After playing around, I realized that i'm just looking for a way to use he unit window to plot courses and the formation editor. I'm almost ready to challenge someone.

IH125
ironhand125
Segra Bozwo

Post by Segra Bozwo »

I don't know if this is still relevant but you can make sonobouy fields using the course editor as following:

-Click on course
-Click on the map where you want to start your sonobouy field
-Click speed
-Put speed on cruise or higher then click ok
-Click speed again but..
-Now click speed loiter and altitude low/vlow.
-Click on map for the next waypoint
_keep doing this until your sonobouy field is done

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”