KI-49IIb helen, should i keep it for the entire war?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Journier

KI-49IIb helen, should i keep it for the entire war?

Post by Journier »

Im looking at the stats, and though its extended range is only 13, it carries the most bombs of any bomber japan has.... has good maneuverability and durability and finally gets the 1 armor with the last model.

I figured a bomber that would come into action in 1944 after it would outdo it since, the KI-49 is sorta old. But the only other bombers available only carrier a torpedo with longer range and less bomb load, or only carries 3 250kg bombs instead of 4 250kg bombs, and has 30mph better max speed but really thats about it.

Is there nothing i should aim for once i got the helens?

Also... why is it my bombers gunners never ever kill any enemy fighters attacking them, but when i attack enemy bombers i lose 10% of my fighters. [8|] japan vs allies [:o]
Nemo121

RE: KI-49IIb helen, should i keep it for the entire war?

Post by Nemo121 »

I think the Helen is a good bomber to keep in production for macro reasons in terms of avoiding retooling, making use of the engine production you've already set up and thus saving hundreds of thousands of tons of supplies which will be lost in retooling. It is still a useful ASW or night bomber until the end of the war even if its low top speed makes it fairly easy meat for fighters by war's end. Also a useful kamikaze. 4 x 250 Kg bombs will sink pretty much any AP or AK with a single hit... expensive kami though.

As to the bomber defensive armament.... That's an issue of total number of guns and accuracy and the code algorithms for running defensive fire calculations as well as the interaction between multiple 0.5cals and low durability Japanese fighters vs single 7.7mm or sngle 12.7mm gun stations in most Japanese bombers. The 20mm stations do more damage but even then Allied planes are much higher durability so more often survive.

The differences in performance between Allied and Japanese side are reasonable but the actual outcomes are less so.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: Journier

Also... why is it my bombers gunners never ever kill any enemy fighters attacking them, but when i attack enemy bombers i lose 10% of my fighters. [8|] japan vs allies [:o]

After a year of war, one of my Helen pilots have one kill. So that can happen, but it's very rare event indeed.

IMO japanese bombers should get more kills. Not many, but at least some.
Journier

Post by Journier »

your helen pilot probably accidentally dropped a 250kg bomb on a enemy fighter flying up from below.

had to commit sepuku for breaking the goal of all japanese bombers to never get any kills against attacking allied fighters [:D]
FatR

Post by FatR »

Yes, build Helens for the entire war, you have already named the reason, Ki-67 carries lesser payload. And top speed really only clearly matters if it is greater than that of the attacking fighters (not going to happen). Possibly, possibly, it reduces combat rounds given to CAP, when bombers race to their target, but the difference between Ki-49 and Ki-67 is fairly small anyway.
The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Return to “The War Room”