Which Close Combat to Buy?

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: The Longest Day brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Longest Day remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign that covers all the airborne and beach landings, expanded map sizes, new hand-drawn historical maps, illumination during night battles and much more!
canuckgamer

Which Close Combat to Buy?

Post by canuckgamer »

The last Close Combat game that I purchased was CC 3 The Russian Front. I am thinking of buying either CC The Longest Day or CC Arnhem. I assume that they are both at the same level in terms of the evolution of the CC system as they are the two latest games of the series. Although I prefer the subject matter of The Longest Day over Arnhem I would appreciate any opinions and comments in regards to two. Thanks.
Iron Stringbean

RE: Which Close Combat to Buy?

Post by Iron Stringbean »

I'm really enjoying TLD with the latest GT mod. After that, with all the mods available, I can focus on each beach landing. Utah with the Classic mod, Omaha with Bloody Omaha, and soon, GSJ will finish it out. That should keep me busy for a couple years :P
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

I downloaded Close Combat Normandy demo from CNET and was not impressed. The graphics were jerky and things like moving the target for mortar and an air attack was bad in that moving the mouse did not necessarily move the target indicator. I did however set the resolution at 1680 X 1050 which is the native resolution of my monitor. The men are certainly small at this resolution. I assume that the jerkiness can be attributed to the fact that this is the original Atomic release from 2000. I also assume that the version from Matrix Games runs smoothly because it is "programmed" to run on XP which is my operating system. I don't believe there is a demo for either CC The Longest Day or CC Arnhem?
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

It's a tough call. TLD has more mods for it (and probably more in the works), while LSA has its own unique combat and style (similar to CC3 because of a point system).

My own advice would be to pick up TLD first. You'll have a fair amount of things to keep you busy for a while.
"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message Marathon Infinity
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

hands down TLD because of the mods..LSArnhem has a long way to go...and all of the close combat games have never been any good with out the mods...
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

Thanks for the replies. If either one of you are running XP, how does TLD run on it? As I mentioned, I tried out the demo for CM Normandy and it was pretty herky jerky. Also where can I check out the mods?
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

I am running it on XP and it runs like a charm. Nice and smooth.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/index.php

you dont need to be a member to download any thing but please do! its good networking and mostly great guys.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

Thanks. Judging from the number of mods for CC 5 Normandy, it would be worth buying if I can find it. However, I did try the demo and it did not run very smoothly on my system at 1650 X 1080. I will register at the site later today. Looks like a good resource.
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

funny but true they were giving CC 5 away in cornflake boxs here 3 years ago so u can get it for free just need to look, cc 5 in the most played in a modded ver that is.
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

I picked up CC3 in a cereal box too... along with age of empires..
ImageImage
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

At Ebay.ca I see one CC Normandy for sale at $46.99 plus shipping. There are more at Ebay.com ranging from $20 to $55 USD but would have to check if they ship to Canada. I also saw a free torrent download but a little worried about what I might be downloading. I'm amazed that you got the game in a cereal box? Might just have to go with CC The Longest Day.
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

I recommend CC Longest Day and Last Stand Arnhem. If you get hooked on CC5 Normandy you will be ditching it soon enough anyway. More Mods are underway for tLD, and I suspect a couple of them are getting released relatively soon.
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

hey McHugh.....where abouts in canada do you hail from?? im in Vancouver........if were in the same time zone maybe we can hook up for some games?
and like Cathartes says....TLD and LSA are my picks too......LSA will be the one to have sooner or later.....probably later...the options in it are outstanding but its needs alot o work yet from what i can see.
Imperial Dane

Post by Imperial Dane »

Well starting to think that perhaps i should have gotten that since the Americans in TLD are getting massacred by my Ost truppen [&:]
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

Play H2H.......its where CC shines. playing the AI is a waste of time.
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

Do not buy a game based on the fact mods may be coming out.
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
walker911

Post by walker911 »

CC Longest Day!! thats great...
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
salejerseys

Post by salejerseys »

Return to “Close Combat: The Longest Day”