Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Joseph_Nevsky

Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer

Post by Joseph_Nevsky »

Hi!

I´ve installed "TOAW Scenario Viewer" and everything looks fine. Obviously, I have TOAW-III on my compueter (version 3.4).

But when I´m trying to open a scenario dump file (the "Ardennes 1944.SCE", for instance) a message of error appears: "TOAW Scenario Viewer stop working blah,blah, blah... Windows will try to find a solution blah, blah, blah, blah..." [:(]

My PC: 9550 Quad, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, ATI Radeoh HD 5850, S.O.: Windows Vista 64 bits. If you need anything else to know for helping me just tell.

What could be going wrong?

Thank you in advance for your advice!
parmenio

RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer

Post by parmenio »

Can you tell me what version of the TOAW Scenario Viewer you're running?

I've just opened "Ardennes 1944.sce" without any problems using V2.4 which was rebuilt for TOAWIII 3.4
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Joseph_Nevsky

Post by Joseph_Nevsky »

My version of "TOAW Scenario Viewer" is 2.4.0.0, and I downloaded it from here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.edmiston/toawviewer.htm

Apparently, the program is working but when I try to download an SCE file, it crashes! [:(]

Don´t know what´s happening and what to do... [&:]
I think it´s a very good tool for TOAW-III.
Maybe Matrix Games should include it in a future patch for the game. It´d be great!... [;)]
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Does it crash opening any .SCE file or just Ardennes 1944?

Edit: And if it's only Ardennes 1944... is that the vanilla version or have you edited it at all?
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Joseph_Nevsky

Post by Joseph_Nevsky »

It crashes opening any .SCE file [:(]

I have tried in another computer with Windows XP 32 bits and the Scenario Viewer is just working fine [:)]

But it isn´t working in my PC with Windows Vista 64 bits. It´s a pity!! [:(][:(]

A desperate solution: I´m thinking to use the Scenario Viewer in the computer with XP, then print out all the data, and then start the game in my PC with Vista 64 bits... Although it´s going to be a lot of work for my taste... [:(]
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

ORIGINAL: Joseph_Nevsky

It crashes opening any .SCE file [:(]

I have tried in another computer with Windows XP 32 bits and the Scenario Viewer is just working fine [:)]

But it isn´t working in my PC with Windows Vista 64 bits. It´s a pity!! [:(][:(]

Unfortunately, I've only tested it on Windows XP and Windows 7 64-bit and I don't have access to a Windows Vista box. If TOAW III works fine on Windows Vista 64-bit then the problem is likely to be in the .NET framework. You could try doing a repair installation of that from the Microsoft website.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Or maybe run it in XP Compatibility mode.
Joseph_Nevsky

Post by Joseph_Nevsky »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Or maybe run it in XP Compatibility mode.

Yes, I´ve already try this one, but no luck [:(]

parmenio: I´ll check if it´s a .NET framework problem. I´ll post over here if there´s some good news about it.

I haven´t find a solution for this problem yet, but thanks everyone for your kind suggestions [:)]
ogar

Post by ogar »

Joseph_Nevsky,

I've a similar problem with the Scenario Viewer on _some_ scenarios (XP, old dll's -- the problem is _not_ Parmenio, it's my not upgrading). But when I dump a scenario file, and rename it as txt (or just open it in Notepad and save it as txt); then voila, the Viewer works just fine. Make sure the Viewer is looking for either .txt files or all files if you try this. It might work, it might not; but if it does it is a lot easier than all that printing.

Parmenio,
yet again, big thanks for all your work on the utilities.
Joseph_Nevsky

Post by Joseph_Nevsky »

ORIGINAL: ogar

Joseph_Nevsky,

I've a similar problem with the Scenario Viewer on _some_ scenarios (XP, old dll's -- the problem is _not_ Parmenio, it's my not upgrading). But when I dump a scenario file, and rename it as txt (or just open it in Notepad and save it as txt); then voila, the Viewer works just fine. Make sure the Viewer is looking for either .txt files or all files if you try this. It might work, it might not; but if it does it is a lot easier than all that printing.

Parmenio,
yet again, big thanks for all your work on the utilities.

I´ve tried your solution but it isn´t working neither [:(] It raises a message like this one:

And I think you´re right: all that printing seems to me a lot of work [:(] [:(]
It´s just frustrating...
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Companero!

The issue might be the 64-bit mode and/or .NET. What's the .NET versions you got and did you try it in any of the compatibility modes?

kLiNk, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

I'm afraid, I haven't tested the .TXT dump against 3.4 so it's possible that it's broken - I'll take a look

However, one thing worth trying is using the .GAM file export that's now available to do in 3.4. That's just an XML version of the Scenario and the 2.4 Viewer can open those by choosing "All Files" from the Open dialog. If you still have problems, I have a 2.5 in the works that explicitly adds support for .GAM files and enforces UTF-8 encoding in a more consistent fashion. If you want a copy of that PM me.

Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
ogar

Post by ogar »

Parmenio --
do not worry about testing TXT in 3.4 -- I've had no problems with it on 3.4.202, or on several of the earlier betas. Again, it's only certain .sce files that hiccup on me; not all. And it's my laziness that needs fixing first.

I'd vote for you working on version 2.5 (and helping Nevsky, of course) as best use of your limited time.

Joseph_Nevsky

Post by Joseph_Nevsky »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Companero!

The issue might be the 64-bit mode and/or .NET. What's the .NET versions you got and did you try it in any of the compatibility modes?

kLiNk, Oberst

Yes, I´ve tried to run Scenario Viewer in all compatibility modes and no luck at all [:(]

I´ve checked my PC (Windows Vista 64 bits Ultimate original and updated) and these are what I have installed:

- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Editor Microsoft Corporation; size 42,1 MB.)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Editor Microsoft Corporation; size 189,3 MB., version 4.0.30319)

If you need any forward information for helping me I´ll post it

Thank you and best regards! [:)]
Joseph_Nevsky

Post by Joseph_Nevsky »

ORIGINAL: parmenio

I'm afraid, I haven't tested the .TXT dump against 3.4 so it's possible that it's broken - I'll take a look

However, one thing worth trying is using the .GAM file export that's now available to do in 3.4. That's just an XML version of the Scenario and the 2.4 Viewer can open those by choosing "All Files" from the Open dialog. If you still have problems, I have a 2.5 in the works that explicitly adds support for .GAM files and enforces UTF-8 encoding in a more consistent fashion. If you want a copy of that PM me.

If you please cand send me the 2.5 version it would be great. Thank you!
I´ll PM inmediately (through e-Mail because PM in Matrix Games seems not working).

I´ve tried with .GAM file but no luck neither [:(] [:(]
This is the error screen which appears:

parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Try renaming the .gam as .xml - it might be trying to open the .gam file as a text file (and that's definitely not going to work)
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Joseph_Nevsky

Post by Joseph_Nevsky »

ORIGINAL: parmenio

Try renaming the .gam as .xml - it might be trying to open the .gam file as a text file (and that's definitely not going to work)

I received and tried your new version of Scenario Viewer and follow the steps you pointed out, but I´m afraid it isn´t working: it raises the same error message [:(]

The same problem is happening with a friend of mine which hast Windows Vista 64 bits as well, so it´s clear that the guilty is the S.O.

In fact, I have no issues executing Scenario Viewer under Windows XP 32 bits.

Anyway, thank you very much, parmenio, for your kind help.

One question: have you tried yourself to try the program under Windows Vista 64 bits? [&:]
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

ORIGINAL: Joseph_Nevsky

One question: have you tried yourself to try the program under Windows Vista 64 bits? [&:]

Sadly no. I skipped Vista entirely staying with XP until Windows 7 came out.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
2Fre

Post by 2Fre »

Hi parmenio,
I'm trying to use your viewer 2.4 version but it crashes when opening a .sce file.
I'm using Win7 64 bits.
Any idea of what I could do to get it works ?
Thanks
2Fre
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

ORIGINAL: 2Fre

Hi parmenio,
I'm trying to use your viewer 2.4 version but it crashes when opening a .sce file.
I'm using Win7 64 bits.
Any idea of what I could do to get it works ?
Thanks

Can you tell me what error message you get (if any)?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit myself.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”