Distant Worlds – Return of the Shakturi Gets a Major Update!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

SeanD

Distant Worlds – Return of the Shakturi Gets a Major Update!

Post by SeanD »

Impressive AI improvements, loads of fixes, and plenty more improvements coming in this update

Matrix Games and Code Force (www.codeforce.co.nz) are thrilled to announce the release of a major new update for Distant Worlds – Return of the Shakturi. The comprehensive 1.5.0.8 update has a notable concentration on AI improvements that cover a wide variety of fields such as how the AI handles fleets, invasions, colonization and research. The update also includes a long list of bug fixes and other changes effecting colony balance, diplomacy, and the Ancient Guardians.

It is highly recommended that all Distant Worlds – Return of the Shakturi owners install this update to take advantage of the significant improvements.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “Distant Worlds – Return of the Shakturi has enjoyed a strong and very active community and these fans were instrumental in the creation of such a significant and valuable update for this acclaimed expansion. We’re very pleased to have such enthusiastic community support for this unique and remarkable game, so keep those suggestions coming!”

An ancient evil is returning to the vast universe of Distant Worlds! The Return of the Shakturi is the highly anticipated expansion to the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game Distant Worlds. In addition to a long list of new features and improvements, Return of the Shakturi includes two new and unique alien races complete with riveting events that expand upon the original Distant Worlds and move the timeline of the universe forward into its next chapter with exciting new endgame options. A completely new and vastly expanded research system with comprehensive new tech trees awaits, with new tech and options for avid ship designers such as fighters, bombers, missiles, Ion weapons, planetary facilities, regional capitols, and much more!

Return of the Shakturi also comes packed with interface improvements like an Empire Navigation Tool to provide quick access to everything in your empire, Action Buttons for one-click access to common tasks, an Enemy Targets list showing all known enemy threats, Build Orders to mass-produce groups of new ships in one simple step, and much more! All this coupled with new Empire Policies to fine tune the auto-management of your empire, new galaxy shapes, and extended modding support make Return of the Shakturi an essential add-on to the vast, living galaxy of Distant Worlds!

Please note: Distant Worlds – Return of the Shakturi REQUIRES ownership of the original full Distant Worlds game.

Get the update here. The update is comprehensive and will bring all previous version of Distant Worlds – Return of the Shakturi to version 1.5.0.8. Get more information on Distant Worlds – Return of the Shakturi from its official product page.
Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
EaglePryde

RE: Distant Worlds – Return of the Shakturi Gets a Major Update!

Post by EaglePryde »

sounds great [:D] Impressive work and keep it up [:)]
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Nice! DLd and ready to go.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

Tried the game updater but it tells me I'm already on the latest patch - I remained on the 1.5.0.6 beta waiting for this one. No big problem, I'll take it from the site but I was just curious why the updater doesn't find it.
Great work btw....as expected [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Igard

Post by Igard »

It failed for me once too Data, but it worked on my second attempt a few hours later.

Great to see another big update. Fine work.[:)]
Cavgunner

Post by Cavgunner »

If I install this update will my previous save games still work?
aprezto

Post by aprezto »

In the past - yes, but you have to search for the save - it makes a new save game location. No guarantees with that - might depend how in-depth the changes are

Image courtesy of Divepac
Data

Post by Data »

In the past it was so, yes. But now we have the 1.5.0.8 official release after the latest 1.5.0.8 beta; so if you were already on that the save game location should not change.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

is there any new changes in this compared to the beta of the same version?
Data

Post by Data »

we can compare the changelogs for them but it shouldn't be as this official one was announced as actually being the latest beta (1.5.0.8) made official.
Afaik this official one has all the changes from all the beta's so far.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

After may game failed to save [:(], I was thrown to the main menu. I pressed the upgrade button (running 1.5.0.8 beta) and was sent to this page:
http://www.codeforce.co.nz/dwrots_versioncheck.asp?version=1.5.0.8

It told me the latest version was 1.5.0.1

Updating from the startup box seems to work, though.
Setekh

Post by Setekh »

Fantastic, not played in a while whilst I've been on other games but seeing that this title is still receiving such huge attention puts a big smile on my face. downloaded and I'm gonna hit RotS again all weekend.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Here's the change list:

v1.5.0.8 – April 5, 2011

• Fleet Automation AI

o AI more careful about when and which ships are added to fleets so that fleets are more cohesive.
o Automated damaged ships are now automatically removed from fleets when they go for repairs.
o More careful calculation of fuel requirements when assigning fleet missions.
o More careful determination of enemy forces at attack targets leading to better target selection.
o Fleets are now more aggressive in refuelling when idle.
o Automated troop transports now leave fleet before loading troops to avoid fleet fragmentation.
o Nearby automated idle fleets reinforce colonies under invasion (i.e. entire fleet will drop troops).
o Unoccupied automated fleets are now more responsive to intercepting enemy attacks.
o Automated troop transports will now automatically reinforce nearby colonies under invasion (drop their troops at the colony).
o AI empires more likely to build Troop Cloning Facilities, especially when their native troops are strong.

• Empires and Diplomacy

o War weariness is now a larger factor in encouraging an end to wars, dependent on the aggression of the empire's dominant race.
o War weariness increases at a slightly slower rate.
o Fewer suggestions of raids against other empires, especially when you are friendly with them.

• Troops and Invasions

o AI now attempts to assign fleets or strike forces to defend critical colonies when you are at war (automated fleets when Fleet Formation is also automated).
o Improved troop levels so that there are normally sufficient troops to defend colonies.
o Orbital bases (space ports and defensive bases) now damage invading troops if not cleared prior to invasion.
o Planetary shield facilities now damage invading troops.
o Doubled time duration to conquer colony (troops fight at half previous speed).
o Increased colony unhappiness factor 'At War With Our Race' so that invading and taking over a large world of an enemy is now more likely to result in a rebelling population.
o Colony rebellions now raise more militia troops, especially when at war with the dominant race of the colony.
o Increased population deaths from colony invasions, especially at larger colonies.

• Colonization

o Starting colonies no longer ever have ruins.
o AI colonization now gives higher priority to independent colonies.
o Colony ships now take 3 times longer to build, slowing colonization slightly.
o Balance of colonizable planets - now more colonizable high-quality ice and volcanic planets (with appropriate tech).
o More independent colonies than previously.
o Greatly increased capacity of passenger transport components.
o Increased number of passenger ships and freighters.
o Improved how passenger ships respond to migration needs.
o Further refined number of colonizable planets and moons in galaxies based on Colony Prevalence setting in game startup. By default, there are now fewer colonies available in galaxies, slowing expansion a bit.
o Ancient Guardians no longer take ownership of lost colonies.
o Limit resources (cargo) at new colonies to small amount of Caslon and Hydrogen fuel.
o Fixed exploit where you could right-click on an unexplored system and get “Colonize” command in right-click pop-up menu.

• Bug Fixes

o Fixed bug in diplomacy screen when offer to trade galaxy maps, territory maps or tech (was previously showing invalid option 'Would you accept this trade?').
o Fixed bug where ruins were sometimes still appearing on home colonies.
o Fixed rare crash that sometimes occurs after a planet is destroyed.
o Fixed bug where sometimes could not repair a discovered planet destroyer or damaged ship in debris field.
o Threat of war or trade sanctions in trade negotiations (diplomacy screen) will now automatically initiate wars or trade sanctions if the other empire refuses your demands - only threaten if you mean it! This also applies to other empires threatening you - your refusal will now result in war or trade sanctions.
o Fixed a bug where clicking the “Stop” action button for a ship would sometimes cause the ship to jump coordinates to the edge of the galaxy.
o Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when adding planets using the game editor.
o Fixed crash when rebelling militia are defeated at a colony.
o Fixed crash when receive tech bonus from ruins after researching all tech.
o Fixed occasional crash when eliminate an empire.
o Fixed bug where assigning some mission types to fleets (Load Troops, Refuel, Repair) would cause any ships in the fleet that were still under construction to prematurely leave their construction yard.
o Fixed bug where game sometimes no longer shows income or cashflow and other game tasks stop.
o Fixed crash when you have explored the entire galaxy.
o Fixed occasional crash when you recruit new troops at a colony.
o Fixed various GxBO crashes.
o Fixed rare crash in scrolling message list.
o Added extra fixes for ships jumping to galaxy corners.
o Fixed issue on Turkish Windows where could not save new designs.
o Fixed rare crashes in Empire Navigation Tool.
o Fixed bug where fleets sometimes move to top-left corner of galaxy when assign queued missions.
o Fixed rare crash when colonize planet.
o Fixed crash when edit planet with ruins for super weapons tech bonus.
o Fixed bug where can obtain multiple bonuses from destroying pirate bases.
o Fixed issue with incomplete message when offering info on story location.
o Fixed rare crash in Empire Navigation Tool when viewing enemy targets.
o Fixed rare crash at colonies when population drops due to invasion.
o Removed duplicated components in 'Latest Components' list in Design screen.
o Fixed crash when remove planets in game editor.
o Fixed crash when switch themes (to a theme with less ship-sets than the previous one).
o Fixed bug in Start New Game screen when start game after switching back from theme with races not in current theme (if missing races set in Other Empires grid).
o Fixed bug where AI fleet formation would often disband and reform fleets.
o Fixed problem where AI empires sometimes not researching construction tech enough to build larger ships.
o Fixed bug where auto-retrofit message allowed upgrading to larger ship sizes than tech currently allowed.
o Fixed bug where ships not completing construction or retrofit because could modify designs while ships under construction.
o Fixed bug in Expansion Planner and Empire Navigation Tool where some items not shown in green when in your system.
o Fixed exploit where filtering in Expansion Planner allowed you to exclude unknown resources and unexplored super ruins.
o Fixed bug where Research locations were disappearing in Empire Navigation Tool when system was colonized.
o Fixed rare crash when viewing construction ship in Ships and Bases screen.
o Fixed rare crash when fleet moved to location.
o Fixed crash when view new colony without population.
o Fixed other rare game crashes.
o Fixed rare crash when pirate base destroyed.
o Fixed bug where newly built colony ships were start off without fuel.
o Fixed bug where empires with Mutual Defense Pacts were sometimes attacking each other.
o Fixed bug where ships were sometimes invisible.
o Nearest construction ship now properly gets repaired abandoned ship in debris field.
o Fixed bug where Shakturi were sometimes not appearing in game.
o Fixed 'ghost' navigation directions (ping) without item at location.
o Fixed bug where ships were sometimes doing same action twice.
o Fixed bug where ships were sometimes still blockading colony after it was conquered.

• Other

o No new space port construction at colonies when they are under attack or invasion.
o Medical centers and recreation centers are now always present on all AI space port designs.
o Increased AI focus on building gas mining stations for fuel sources.
o Increased number of starting construction ships.
o Improved performance in late game when there are many civilian ships.
o Improved amount of space ports AI builds.
o Slightly increased colony income and lowered ship maintenance costs.
o Special racial techs now always show in 'Latest Components' list in Designs screen.
o Allow scrapping of privately-owned bases in the Ships and Bases screen.
o Altered colony rebellions so that do not begin during invasions. Also ensure that colony will join empire of invaders if present instead of becoming independent or joining another empire.
o In nebula clouds movement speed is now 75% of normal (from 50%).
o Automated fleets now do not auto-respond to attacks if more than a sector away and another fleet is closer.
o Space creatures are now shown in mini-map as dark red diagonal crosses.
o Can now have more starting empires (Start New Game screen) when have more than 20 races for galaxies with 700 stars or more.
o Now always reset research slider to "Starting" in Edit Empire screen of game editor.
o Special super-weapon techs set for a race in races.txt file now apply for the race at game start.
o Rodent races now properly disike insectoid races in biases.txt file.
o Doubled capacity of passenger transport components to increase migration rates between colonies.
o Added more weapons to default small space port design.
o Dramatically lowered damage from bombardment weapons.
o Blockading fleets now properly respond to attacks, even when not at war with attacker.
o 'Latest components' in Designs screen now properly obtaining latest components - may have more than one component in each area if equal tech level.
o Ancient Guardians no longer investigate ruins or investigate and acquire abandoned ships and bases.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

Why is that whenever I set my fleet to attack only when attacked it keeps changing it to whatever it wants and heads off into a lions den of enemy spaceports and defensive battery's?  The fleet is not automated...it's under my direct command and yet it is still seemingly doing whatever it wants!!!!
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

That is to keep you on your toes.

I think it may reset its "attack when" setting whenever you change its order (like order attack).

In the options menu, you have a link to a page where you can set default behavior for different actions. But of course... You want different orders when you order your fleet to "attack large space port" than when you order a fleet you watch to "attack destroyer 001". In the first case I want them to engage system targets (mop mining bases). In the latter case, it may be me busting mining bases and very much want them to "engage when attacked". Make sure to reset the engagement rule every time you give a new order (like attack a ship). You may also see it change its engagement rule when it responds to an attack, I have not tested this.

Yes, this could use some love. But why should we be able to do fancy footwork in enemy systems while the AI does not? Build a bigger fleet and bust the spaceport first [:-]
bertipa

Post by bertipa »

o Fewer suggestions of raids against other empires, especially when you are friendly with them.

Thank God!

o Colony ships now take 3 times longer to build, slowing colonization slightly.

Not enough, I'm still colony spamming without problems.

o Fixed bug where Shakturi were sometimes not appearing in game.

Just played one time with the patch and they did not showed up and I had moved the "Galaxy controlled to win" percentage to 50% to let them time to mount an half decent showing.

From the Regina subsector to the Sakaturi base... a long and fulfilling trip.
ak

Post by ak »

something strange happening with the blackholes -

now when I try to build something at a blackhole 2 times out of 3 my ship will warp right into the blackhole and get destroyed.

when it does not immediately drop below the event horizon, my 1 out of 2 times the constructor will start working on an object that is within the gravitational spiral of the blackhole - i.e. both construction and constructor get sucked towards the hole, which however can be stopped manually.

still, a bit of a pain!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”