Defensive support unit issues

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

squatter

Defensive support unit issues

Post by squatter »

I have encountered ominous problems with my support unit allocation.

I am in summer 1942 as Axis in a GC.

Last turn, I noticed in the crucial sector of the front that my HQs werent sending SUs to support in DEFENSIVE battles, assisting my opponent in his efforts to break some pockets I had created. I put this down to bad luck, and posted on the forum to check whether I was doing something wrong.

This turn, Imy opponent broke through my encirclements again, even though they were stronger. Looking closely at the results in the crucial sector, there were 15 attacks launched by the SU. Despite having all my defensive HQs in range, in supply, loaded with SUs, and with good leaders, NOT A SINGLE SU WAS COMMITTED TO ANY OF THE BATTLES.

Across the entire front, there were 19 soviet attacks. In every case, defensive HQs were in range. In only 2 out of 19 cases were any SUs comitted to battle.

The only way to demonstrate this is through some ham-fisted screen shots. So here goes.

First, here's an overview of the crucial sector in question.

Each of the Soviet attack hexes is numbered in blue. The blue lines connect the battle hexes to the Corps HQ locations, showing that the defensive HQs were properly positioned to provide support.

Attachments
masternumbers.jpg
masternumbers.jpg (410.51 KiB) Viewed 29 times
squatter

RE: Defensive support unit issues

Post by squatter »

Okay, on the left hand side below are the battle reports for the first five battles. They should match the battles numbered on the map above.

To the right are the HQs involved. You can see they have been carefully loaded out with only powerful SUs.

You can see from the battle reports that none of the SUs assigned to the HQs were comitted to any of the battles. VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: All the SUs that you do see taking part in the battles are directly assigned to the units involved, not to the HQs.

NOTE: Battle 3, I checked and the HQ was out of range, so fair enough on this one. In all other cases, the HQs were in range, as per the original screenshot.

Attachments
battles15.jpg
battles15.jpg (498.55 KiB) Viewed 29 times
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

What are the initiative ratings of the corps commanders involved?
It's only a Game

squatter

Post by squatter »

And here's the second batch of battles.

Again, the only SUs you can see fighting are those directly assigned to the units themselves. None of the units in higher HQs took part.

Note: battle 7 was infact an isolated soviet unit surrendering, so have left that out.

Again, as you can see the defensive HQs have been carefully tricked out with powerful SUs. Not one of which took part.

Attachments
battles610.jpg
battles610.jpg (499.01 KiB) Viewed 29 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

It must be a bug fixed in 1.04
15. Fixed a bug in the path tracing that could prevent defending units to receive support units help in a battle.

tm.asp?m=2762023
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
squatter

Post by squatter »

So there you have it.

The corps commanders initiative values varied from 5 to 7. You can see who they are from the HQ screenshots posted.

Now, when my units are attacking, I dont think I ever see a battle without at least ONE SU being sent from the HQ. 

But when I am defending, suddenly this is happening.

So what am I looking at?

1. Am I doing something wrong? I dont think so, have been playing since release and know what I'm doing, and have never noticed this before. But somebody please tell me if so.
2. Am I being unlucky? Last turn I put it down to dreadful luck. This turn I started thinking that option 3 below is more likely. What are the odds of this occuring, not just this turn, but last turn as well?
3. Is this a bug?

Informed input appreciated.

squatter

Post by squatter »

Ah. Shoot. That's it then.

Can we have 1.04 soon then? I mean, I cant keep playing this PBEM with this bug wreaking havoc? Those SUs make a world of difference.

It's pretty crushing to play 52 turns, survive the blizzard as Axis, start your 1942 offensive, and then have a major bug bite you in the ass!

karonagames

Post by karonagames »

ummmm.. it's been the same for the soviets too - don't think it is exclusive to the Axis.
It's only a Game

Helpless

Post by Helpless »

There was a plan to make a final build for the first 1.04 beta this week. Don't know how long it would take to get it public. Hopefully by the end of this week. We do our best to make it faster.

As for severity, I'd say it is not that big, comparing to support unit commitment change in 1.04 as such.
Pavel Zagzin
squatter

Post by squatter »

Has it? This is all news to me really.

So what is the extent of this bug? Under what circumstances are defending SUs not being committed? I havent noticed other players mentioning it.

I mean a bug that in my case at least appears to stopping defensive SUs being committed in around 90% of battles is going to skew all other observations about the game - Axis blizzard defence being a big example.

If you're telling me that in all games around 90% of battles are incorrectly not receiving defensive SU committment, then all other observations about the game system are inaccurate until it is sorted out. Everything that's been observed about the +1 Sov odds modifier, the Axis blizzard, the ease of taking Leningrad, everything really, is completely skewed if this bug is across the board.

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

ummmm.. it's been the same for the soviets too - don't think it is exclusive to the Axis.
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

ORIGINAL: squatter

Has it? This is all news to me really.

So what is the extent of this bug? Under what circumstances are defending SUs not being committed? I havent noticed other players mentioning it.

I mean a bug that in my case at least appears to stopping defensive SUs being committed in around 90% of battles is going to skew all other observations about the game - Axis blizzard defence being a big example.

If you're telling me that in all games around 90% of battles are incorrectly not receiving defensive SU committment, then all other observations about the game system are inaccurate until it is sorted out. Everything that's been observed about the +1 Sov odds modifier, the Axis blizzard, the ease of taking Leningrad, everything really, is completely skewed if this bug is across the board.

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

I guess the only thing you can do at this point is either wait for 1.04 to arrive or manually place SU's in the units directly to be sure[8|]
squatter

Post by squatter »

You cant assign artillery to combat units directly. If you take a look at my HQ loadouts, they are predominantly artillery.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

It is by far doesn't happen in every battle.
Pavel Zagzin
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

You cant assign artillery to combat units directly. If you take a look at my HQ loadouts, they are predominantly artillery.

Ah sorry, missed that important factor somehow...
squatter

Post by squatter »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

It is by far doesn't happen in every battle.

That's a relief.

How do you interpret the data from the battles I have posted above? 100% of 14 combats in the above sector did not receive defensive support. Only two of the other six battles that turn did receive any support.

Could you illuminate me as to under what circumstances the bug occurs? Thanks
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

15. Fixed a bug in the path tracing that could prevent defending units to receive support units help in a battle.

The issue is path tracing. Since some of your HQs were 1 hex from the battle, moving HQs closer is not a solution. Nothing you can do until 1.04 comes out except attack attack attack.

76mm

Post by 76mm »

I'm playing a PBEM as Soviet, and I'm pretty sure that in most of my attacks, the German defender is getting SU support. Haven't checked in battles where I'm defending. I've got 1.03.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

It is quite complex issue, where path and HQ DL can prevent from support unit being committed.

From other side - in pre-1.04 every single unit committed from different HQ structure is affecting Command Modifier for the whole stack. So in some cases tiny artillery unit can get the whole stack CV reduced by 10-20%.

Anyway, all those problems are addressed in 1.04, where (artillery) support units will be much more busy not only due to fixed issues.
Pavel Zagzin

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”