New scenario: Anzio 1944 @2km

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Telumar

New scenario: Anzio 1944 @2km

Post by Telumar »

Get it here: http://sites.google.com/site/toawzone/s ... o-1944-2km

or at Gamesquad: http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.p ... le&id=2289

should also be available soon at http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenar ... enario.php and http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/

The scenario is a portation from my original Anzio scenario at 1km/hex.

Some rough data:

Date: January - February 1944
Map Scale: 2km per hex
Time Scale: Half day turns
Unit scale: Battalion
Length: 25 - 60 turns

MRPB: 3
Attrition Divider: 20

And the scenario map:

Attachments
Anzio19442km.jpg
Anzio19442km.jpg (149.71 KiB) Viewed 152 times
berto

RE: New scenario: Anzio 1944 @2km

Post by berto »

Would you care to summarize briefly here why the switch in scale from 1km/hex to 2km/hex? Also, significant changes/improvements over the earlier version? Is the earlier version no longer recommended, or is it "just different"?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: berto

Would you care to summarize briefly here why the switch in scale from 1km/hex to 2km/hex? Also, significant changes/improvements over the earlier version? Is the earlier version no longer recommended, or is it "just different"?

The earlier version is still recommended. As for reasons for creating another scenario dealing with Anzio at another scale..: It's fun. :)
Seriously, this version can be played as either side vs the PO which the 1km version can't. Also i wanted to create something more typical and more suited to TOAW. As i had all the resources i could start right away.. I may quote myself from the Anzio @2km pdf document:
This scenario is a direct port of my earlier 1km/hex Anzio scenario at the company level. You could also call it a 'quick 'n dirty' version of Anzio 1944. While this version might lack the depth of its sister scenario it might be better suited to the TOAW III engine due to its map and especially its unit scale. But the most significant, and maybe only, advantage of re-designing Anzio is that this version is much better suited to the TOAW III AI. The 1km version lacked a PO, among other reasons due to the lack of free event slots. Most of the events, options and features of the 1km version have been ported over, some were dropped while others have been modified or adjusted to this version.
1_Lzard

Post by 1_Lzard »

And a very good scenario it is, Stefan!
"I have the brain of a Genius, and the heart of a Little Child. I keep them in a jar under my bed!"
ogar

Post by ogar »

Berto,

The 2 KM version allows for a strong PO opponent while the 1 KM has too many variables to allow for a PO opponent. I've played both scenarios, and I like both -- the 1 KM can be very detailed if you are that kind of a player, whereas the 2 KM version gives a more scaled up view of the campaign.

I was very pleased when I first tried the 2 KM version, and it has just gotten better and better in the testing phase. Anzio 2KM has a small map -- almost fits to my screen -- and a limited number of units for each side; 2 turns per day. It plays fast, and it is well balanced. Several times a game, I get the feeling I've made too many mistakes and it's all over, then I'll recover and get a few turns where it looks like I can win easily, and boom ! -- it looks like I made too many mistakes. Most importantly, it's fun playing this scenario.

This is also the scenario that a lot of players -- wanting a smaller game than FITE or D21; wanting something that they might actually have a chance at winning either side; wanting a game where the player does not have to be a genius to have a chance to win -- would like. I wish this had been around when I first got into TOAW.

And a piece of advice, if you do try and play this scenario -- run a PO vs PO game first. You will see what Telumar is valuing when he talks about the Allies need to move quickly and seize the strategic locations AND you will understand what he means when he writes that the PO is set to 'aggressive'. << insert evil laughter >>

berto

Post by berto »

What I like about this is giving the player a choice. Choice is good. Thanks, Telumar.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: ogar

Berto,

The 2 KM version allows for a strong PO opponent while the 1 KM has too many variables to allow for a PO opponent. I've played both scenarios, and I like both -- the 1 KM can be very detailed if you are that kind of a player, whereas the 2 KM version gives a more scaled up view of the campaign.

I was very pleased when I first tried the 2 KM version, and it has just gotten better and better in the testing phase. Anzio 2KM has a small map -- almost fits to my screen -- and a limited number of units for each side; 2 turns per day. It plays fast, and it is well balanced. Several times a game, I get the feeling I've made too many mistakes and it's all over, then I'll recover and get a few turns where it looks like I can win easily, and boom ! -- it looks like I made too many mistakes. Most importantly, it's fun playing this scenario.

This is also the scenario that a lot of players -- wanting a smaller game than FITE or D21; wanting something that they might actually have a chance at winning either side; wanting a game where the player does not have to be a genius to have a chance to win -- would like. I wish this had been around when I first got into TOAW.

And a piece of advice, if you do try and play this scenario -- run a PO vs PO game first. You will see what Telumar is valuing when he talks about the Allies need to move quickly and seize the strategic locations AND you will understand what he means when he writes that the PO is set to 'aggressive'. << insert evil laughter >>

Telumar, as well as Rob Kunz (RTM series and Ardennes '44), inspired me to go ahead with the upcoming 48PK; I love the battalion/regiment size unit scale; reminds me about Battlefront from SSG, back in the old days of 8-bit computing. And yes, the theatre options of the Elder of Niflheim add more spice to a scenario than an Indian restaurant to its curries! Stay tuned for the beta, it's gonna be done and ready for testing by Sunday.

kLiNk, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

I am just giving this a go tonight.&nbsp; The pdf that is packaged with the scenario is fantastic.&nbsp; This looks to be a great scenario.&nbsp; Thanks for the time and effort spent making it.
"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
murphz

Post by murphz »

I'm playing a pbem with the 1km hex scen, very good Telumar [;)]
so i will play this one too, seems an interesting choice the 2km hex change...
- Tattica, Strategia, Abnegazione, Forza -

Personal blog: http://warhut.wordpress.com/
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: Major SNAFU

I am just giving this a go tonight.  The pdf that is packaged with the scenario is fantastic.  This looks to be a great scenario.  Thanks for the time and effort spent making it.

Thank you. So, how's it beeen?
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: murphz

I'm playing a pbem with the 1km hex scen, very good Telumar [;)]
so i will play this one too, seems an interesting choice the 2km hex change...

Thanks. You'll notice that the 2km version is much more dynamic.

Re the 1km version - i have an updated version in the testing that can be played with the new supply rules. Don't know when i will release it, but shouldn't take too long. You know that the version (2.02) that came with the 3.4 patch can't be played with the new supply rules? It had to do with the way i set up beach supply - I "fear" Ralph will fix this so i have to put out an other version (that reverts the beach supply setup to the former scenario versions) for 3.5...[8|]
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

I am just giving this a go tonight.  The pdf that is packaged with the scenario is fantastic.  This looks to be a great scenario.  Thanks for the time and effort spent making it.

So far (Turn 6) so good. I didn't get as much time on it as I had hoped. I am playing as Allies and am dithering, as usual, about how to best move and place units. Made a few mistakes that I am sure I will regret....

I have to keep checking back in the pdf to make sure I and getting all of the house-rules correct - but that is just fine. I love the detail.
"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

So far (Turn 6) so good. I didn't get as much time on it as I had hoped. I am playing as Allies and am dithering, as usual, about how to best move and place units. Made a few mistakes that I am sure I will regret....

I have to keep checking back in the pdf to make sure I and getting all of the house-rules correct - but that is just fine. I love the detail.

Have you chosen the EEV Timer TO? (See 6.4.1 in the pdf briefing)
The pdf that is packaged with the scenario is fantastic

Thanks. D.McBride's and Bonnierat's (VCO series) briefings inspired me. And i somehow like to put such things together.
murphz

Post by murphz »

[X(]

So that's why my units are all unsupplied! I haven't read of it anywhere so i started a pbem with new supply rules, i'm at turn 15 now..waiting for the fix so :(

Thanks again [;)] also if it's a very sad news...all my effort to extend the beachead and blitzkrieg the germans are vanished by an incompatibility problem [8|]

Telumar

Post by Telumar »

[X(]

So that's why my units are all unsupplied! I haven't read of it anywhere so i started a pbem with new supply rules, i'm at turn 15 now..waiting for the fix so :(

Thanks again [;)] also if it's a very sad news...all my effort to extend the beachead and blitzkrieg the germans are vanished by an incompatibility problem [8|]

Oh my ! [:(] Sorry to hear that, I didn't know it would be incompatible with the new supply rules when i submitted the scenario - apart from the fact that i even didn't know about new supply rules before the patch. I only found out when it was too late. Sorry.

The problem is the ferry bridging units that trace supply over to the beaches from the on-sea supply point through a deep water/superriver/damaged bridge hex. Won't work with the new suply.

I have a yet unreleased new version which is compatible to the new rules, if you're interested drop me a mail (cariundel at yahoo de).
murphz

Post by murphz »

[X(]

Oh my ! [:(] Sorry to hear that, I didn't know it would be incompatible with the new supply rules when i submitted the scenario - apart from the fact that i even didn't know about new supply rules before the patch. I only found out when it was too late. Sorry.

The problem is the ferry bridging units that trace supply over to the beaches from the on-sea supply point through a deep water/superriver/damaged bridge hex. Won't work with the new suply.

I have a yet unreleased new version which is compatible to the new rules, if you're interested drop me a mail (cariundel at yahoo de).

No problem, not your fault for sure [;)]

Yes, units in Anzio and Nettuno are perfectly supplied also the ferry bridging, the link of the ferry bridging units to the beachead (and so the other units) are a deepwater and a bridge destroyed hex.

Email sended, can't wait for the fix now [8D]!

Telumar

Post by Telumar »

And sent. Hope the 4.6 MB attachment will make it, too...

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”