Confederate AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Gil R.

Ugly Guy

Confederate AAR

Post by Ugly Guy »

New poster to the forums, but just found this about a month ago. I am working my way through the difficulty levels and trying some basic strategies. So I figured I would do an exploratory AAR to document my trials and tribulations as I work through this latest round. I will post the starting screen tomorrow to show the options that I am starting with.

I will be playing the Southern Steel campaign as the Conferderates and I play exclusively Quick Battles. I haven't yet explored the detail battle component, but my goal is to see how far I can go using quick battles and still win. I have nothing against detail combat, but I feel that Quick Combat will give me the best feel for winning through macro vs. micro. Basically seeing how far I can stretch Southern resources whilst subjecting my most precious resource to the will of the RNG.

Since this is a walkthrough of my adventure, and not necessarily a "let me show how I can conquer the world with Costa Rica" (gratitous HOI2 reference), I will be delivering some OOC commentary along with my play by play announcements.

The forums seem sort of bare, but hopefully someone will find this useful and hopefully interesting. I would encourage everyone just to post a "hi UG!" if they are reading this, if nothing more than to let me know at least one person read it. [:)]
Ugly Guy

RE: Confederate AAR

Post by Ugly Guy »

So I lied. Here is the options screen. What I will do tomorrow is add some commentary about my choices and hopefully a first post on the game.

Attachments
mainscreen.jpg
mainscreen.jpg (387.24 KiB) Viewed 481 times
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Ooo, brave to use Random Hidden stats for the CSA, espesially since you are going with quick battles. I find that Random stats tends to favor the Northern Agressors since the CSA normally have far better generals than they will get with Random stats. (and ofc I hate to demote Lee and Jackson to 1 stars [;)])

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

Terje - I enjoy the unknown that random generals, hidden stats, and random stats provides. I like the "box of chocolate" effect that it brings. Although it does seem to be somewhat sacriledge to see Lee have terrible ratings across the board. Although honestly, I have found at the beginning of the game that Intiative is the most useful stat for me to know. If that stays hidden for awhile I can usually guess it, but it has the chance to mess up my strategy.

Now, as for my choices. I pretty much just described the general stats. I do like to play with more generals, I don't think it makes it easier for the Confederacy, in fact, while I don't have any direct proof of this, it does seem like more generals has a way of burning through my MP even more. I think more generals equal more good stats for both sides, means more outgoing damage. It probably is a slight bias against the South, but I like more generals. I won on 1st Lt. difficulty on the standard campaign but this is my first go through with Southern Steel. Should be fun. I have activated impressments, although you will see I don't use them very much. Everything else is fairly standard. I allow for CSA emancipation even though I have never done it and don't intend on doing it in this game. The risk just seems to steep for the reward. Besides, the North seems to have impeccable timing in emancipating the slaves right when I need extra units.

I'll post again tonight with an overview of my grand strategy. The strategy is based on many play throughs, so I somewhat know what is in store for me, but that is where using quick battles helps to keep me from exploiting the AI too much.
Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

Grand Military Strategy

My military strategy is fairly multifaceted. I know from previous play throughs that the computer seems to favor the same general approach to the war in several key areas. The grand startegies are as follows. My next post will be my specific Army/Leader strategies.

Fredericksburg/Richmond - The AI likes to do a heavy offense in the east angled at Richmond via Fredericksburg. Fortunately for me, Fredericksburg has three forts to help defend, and I start off with a decent army there anyways. I will be reinforcing it fairly quickly with extra garrison troops around the east coast. This should bring the total size of the army up to an amount that should be sufficient to hold off any early Federal aggression. I will look to hold the line at Fredericksburg for the entire war.

West Virginia - I know that the AI likes to push early into West Virginia and usually with more force than I can stop. Look for early and constant action in this area for the first six months. If I can't succeed in beating the Union back onto the Ohio river by then, I could be in trouble, as it will mean the cutting of my main east/west rail line. If I am successful, I will be able to slowly push into Wheeling and then from there into OH or PA depending on how big and where the Federal forces are at. My starting divisions there will be augmented with a few much needed garrison brigades local to that region in an effort to avoid losing ground early.

Kentucky - I plan on vacating Kentucky entirely early in the war in an effort to bring them into the Southern fold. The AI tends to avoid moving into Kentucky but over time it will to take my forts along the river. Hopefully either time or this aggression will bring KY onto the side of the just and give me a much needed economic and population boost. Plus this will enable me to redeploy troops quickly via the Ohio river. If KY declares Union, I will attempt to conquer it and secure the Ohio river. If I cann't block the river, the AI usually uses the speedy transportation to deadly affect.

Mississippi River - The AI is committed to splitting the Conderacy in two along the Mississippi. This cannot, and I repeat, cannot be allowed! Fortunately, unlike in the East, I have two good defensible positions to hold the line. One is at Memphis. Trying to save the fort near Cairo is a lost cause, but I don't abandon it. The AI will waste a couple of turns seiging it, and this provides me with a few turns to rally garrison troops from most of the rest of the South in defense of Tennessee. (Believe it or not, I actually send more divisions to the West than to the East. I also try to send my best general out west rather than back in Fredericksburg. I have survived losing Fredericksburg before, I have not survived outside of a timed 1864 win, if I lose Natchez.) I find the AI always seems to have a high initiative general in its main Army container, and will often be able to start seiging Fort Pillow in the 1861 winter months. If I am lucky, I will be able to move my Army into the river zone and be able to fight them off with a +6 fort advantage. I will hold at Memphis as long as possible, but after rechlessly attacking there a few times, it then turns its attention to Hatchie and drives into Mississippi. Sometimes my attempts to draw it back fail, and I end up having to abandon Memphis, mainly as a result of my army taking so many casualties that I am unable to fight for several months with out risking complete destruction. The only bright spot is that if I do lose Memphis, I can fall back to Natchez and be able to defend in another +6 fort zone. From here its generally a cat and mouse game for the rest of the war. If I lose Natchez, well lets just say I start to use four letter words to describe my overall position.

West - This is, believe it or not, where I usually cause the most problems. I plan moving into Kansas post haste to be able to seige through the winter months. From there it is on to either Iowa or Jefferson City, depending on where the monster Union army that roams the Mississippi is located. North of Natchez means Missouri will be mine, Memphis means Iowa it is. I have two divisions that will Union Northwest seiging towns and attacking isolated regiments.

My starting positions.

Attachments
startingarmies.jpg
startingarmies.jpg (378.54 KiB) Viewed 478 times
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Will you fill out all three armies with Corps?
How do you plan to fill your armies with brigades? Will you use garrison troops for this?

Terje

Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

Terje - I usually don't fill out the armies with corps. I think it takes three barracks in once province to make corps and 1)barracks usually aren't high up on my to build list, and 2)building a corp takes money, which you will see when I lay out my economic strategy that money is in high demand and short supply. I have not usually run into any problems in the past with overloading armies with brigades. I usually do some combining and splitting over the course of the war. For instance, the corps container in middle Tennessee will sometimes operate independently in KY and sometimes be attached to the army container along the Mississippi river. I will combine and split it off as my strategy evolves in response to the AI's tactics. Same way with some of the division containers in West Virginia.

Unless I am missing something, if you don't need the extra brigade capacity, building the corp container will just allow a three star general to spread his bonuses over several divisions instead of just the one he is in. But his bonus is only a fraction for each brigade in his assigned divisions, and while every little bit adds up, I just don't feel its a good investment of money considering the opportunity costs. EDIT:(Ignore these next lines. The container cost is very reasonable. I know recommended building a few corp structures as they are fairly sparce in the starting Rebel OOB and are very useful for banding together the groups of divisions you will have roaming the Union countryside) <BAD INFO>IMHO, containers should be cheaper than what they are. Trying to visualize what they represent, HQ staff and related logistics, the what $100? they cost seems kind of steep. (Sorry at work right now and can't look but I think that is close. Maybe its $50 but that is still too expensive in my mind) I realize that they obviously don't want them cheap enough that you have an army->corp->division container structure in place everywhere you have two brigades running around, but $20 + 20 horses seems alot more reasonable. A good mix of resources, expensive enough to not make it spammable but cheap enough that you would build them at the beginning when you really need them to organize your forces and setup a proper command structure.</BAD INFO>

As for filling out my armies, that is tonight's post, as well as discussing my General assignments and what stats I know of them now and how that affects my command decisions.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

You start with one barrack that has high enough level to build them (Jackson I think), but I get what you mean about their cost. However unless I am much mistaken the highest generals (in terms of stars) are the ones most likely to be used in quick battles, and I also think a 3 star general in a corps means another rally roll for the brigade.

But yes, economy is a pain for the CSA :)

Terje

Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

Your right about building corps, I as thinking armies for some reason. I still won't build them though, just not in the budget.

Quick combat uses the tactic's ratings of all of the applicable generals to a brigade, its just only the top three have 100% of the bonus applied. The rest of the applicable generals only have 1/10th of their tactics applied. Was't aware the three-star general added a roll for rally, haven't found that written anywhere.

Anyways, on with the show.
Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

Unit Strategies and Generals

Alright, I will list what I know about each of the main generals that I start with and how that will impact my command decisions, and then talk about my initial unit distributions and plans. One thing that always throws me off is a Fair rating for a General is better than a normal rating which seems slightly counter-intuitive. I guess I think fair as a negative connotation to it. BTW, if anyone wants an update on a particular general, I will be happy to provide it.

Stats listed left to right: Initiative/Leadership/Tactics/Command/Cavalry

R.E. Lee - Actually started off this game knowing most of his stats, and he isn't half bad. Great/Normal/Fair/???/???. He has been reassigned from N. Carolina to the army container in Hatchie, soon to be the Army of Tennessee. R.E. Lee will be in command in the West.
Leonidas Polk - Lee is replacing him in command. Fair/Poor/Fair/Fair/None is not to shabby. Could be better than the other four star generals, only time will tell. Will stay in the same army container with Lee for now.
Albert Sidney Johnston - ???/???/Poor/???/None. Current in command in of the army container in Kentucky (soon to be the Army of Kentucky), will stay that way until I learn more about him.
Thomas J. Jackson - Currently a complete enigma. ???/???/???/???/Fair. Will stay in command of his corp container in Virgina for now.
P.G.T. Beauregard - Could be good, could be bad. Normal/???/???/???/???. Low intiative is enough to keep him in place in what will soon be the ANV.
J.E. Johnston - Mixed bag. ???/Poor/???/Great/None. Will leave him in the ANV for now with Beauregard. The constant battling there will reveal their stats soon enough. Low man on the totem pole gets reassigned.
Braxton Bragg - ???/Bad/Poor/Excellent/None. Will leave him in command of his division in Pensacola for now. Will eventually be assigned to the Army of Tennessee.
Van Dorn - Fair/Fair/???/???/???

I usually don't promote and demote generals, but have if I absolutely get shafted in the ratings assignments to my four star generals. EDIT: I have now changed my mind about this. Better to take the hit early and field excellent generals. Especially in quick battles.

Now for individual army assignments. One thing that I like to do is to rename my armies to help me remember where they are. I also like to RP some with all of the garrison units I move into action. I tend to not think of them as garrisons, but rather as volunteer troops from the states they come from. As such, I will rename them and change the flags to reflect this, as well as providing some diversity in the container screens. I will occasionally label some of the city militias if I take them out of a city. I do not move all of my garrisons however. I am paranoid about a naval invasion, and a reserve to draw upon should disaster befall one of my large army containers is extremely useful as well. Always have to have a strategic reserve somewhere.

Army Container in Hatchie - This will be rebranded the Army of Tennessee. I will take all of the volunteer regiments from Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi; as well as some of the volunteers from Texas, Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia to fill out this army. As I mentioned before, this army is usually the most critical to my success. It gets its share of the Brigadier Generals that spawn in Richmond as well. It will defend the Mississippi river from the Federals, and may even invade north on the Mississippi if the war goes well.

Army Container in Kentucky - This will be rebranded the Army of Kentucky. It will receive some reinforcements from the volunteer brigades from Tennesse and Kentucky. I will move it south to Nashville, where it will stay until Kentucky moves off the fence. It also plays as a strategic backup to either the Army of Tennessee or the divisions fighting in West Virginia.

Division in Pensacola - This will seige Pensacola and will be reinforced by two volunteer brigades from Alabama. Currently it has two legendary units in it which I don't want to deplete too badly during the seige. Once the seige is done, it will move north to reinforce the Army of Tennessee, which is usually in desperate need of support by then.

Divisions in Missouri - I will take both these divisions and attack into Kansas with them. One will seige Topeka through the winter, while the other one will move back into Missouri. I can often draw off Federal forces from the attack on Memphis by feinting towards Jefferson City. Once done with Topeka, I will move north. These divisions are reinforced by one Texas brigade and usually any Indian brigades that spawn.

Magruders Division - This division seiges Fort Monroe in the Rappahanok. It then plays support to the Army of Northern Virginia. Sometimes, I will combine it in with the AN and split off the corp container that is originally called the Aquia District. This is mainly because the ANV can get so big that I have noticed that my artillery isn't allowed to fight. This obviously puts me at a disadvantage to the Union, who not only seems to have their own artillery, but also ended up with my very own Jeff Davis Battery one game! (Not sure how that happened. I never saw it surrender in the post turn messages. It eventually ended up fighting me in Natchez. Talk about hard to take.) Anyways, I notice that if I split some units off and have then available to call in as reinforcements, I can field more units and get my artillery in the fight.

Jackson's Corp - This will move over into West Virginia to fight. He will swallow one of the existing divisions there, usually the one with the worst two-star commander, sometimes two divisions if the commanders really start out bad. His goal is to secure West Virginia for the Confederacy and push the Union back into Ohio. I will then consider splitting off a division or two and having them seige into Pittsburgh or Ohio, depending upon how the war is going elsewhere and how the Federal troop placement is.

West Virginia Divisions - These all coordinate their efforts with Jackson's corp and generally ended up getting passed around larger container units more often than, well insert your favorite less than classy analogy here.

So that pretty much sums up my container regional strategies. Here is a picture of my container placements as I would like to see them at the end of turn 1. Next up is a a run down of my economic strategy and turn one purchases.

Attachments
conspositions.jpg
conspositions.jpg (347.75 KiB) Viewed 478 times
terje439

Post by terje439 »

So you will remain in Fredricksburg on turn 1?
Gutsy [;)]

Terje

Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

How so? Just curious as I have always found Fredericksburg to be an ideal defense/choke point. +6 Forts, decent supply, and close to rail lines. As long as I can keep my artillery in the fight, I can usually hold it most of the game. Do you do something different?
Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

Economic and Political Strategy

I use economic as an all encompassing term representing any buildings and units that I can build, as well as other aspects of spending money. I am a big believer in building three main buldings. All other buildings are secondary in nature to my plans. Don't get me wrong, they are important and will prove useful, but are far less useful than these three buildings. The good news is that these buildings more or less complement each other in terms of the resources of their construction. Plantations are 50 labor and 50 horses, mints are 10 labor and 40 iron, and camps are $50, 20 labor, and 40 horses. This allows me to be able to simultaneously build these buildings pretty much two a turn if I manage my resources correctly. Iron and labor are scarce, but labor will come with plantations, and iron will be boosted by the occasional iron mine built in one of my iron works provinces. The labor and iron shortages can usually be minimized by proper build planning. The only time iron becomes an issue is when I doing massive mint building or buying brigade enhancements.

I favor a centralized approach to my economic development, and tend to focus on a few core provinces that are relatively far from harms way. Below is my building specific strategy.

1. Camps
I am a big believer in the power of camps, even after the boost in their maintenance costs. However, camp placement is critical. Because of the 5- 25% chances to decrease population by one in April, I only build them in select provinces. I tend to pick low pop provinces with limited resource production. I know that high population provinces boost the output of camps, but it is just to risk. I had one camp in Wilmington repeated wipe out the 3-population of that province year after year. I just can't afford for that to happen in my production provinces. My resources are just to scarce. My goal is usually around the 8-10k men per turn mark. This takes alot of camps, as I can guarantee that by April of '63, the camp provinces will be at zero population. 10k men return is 40 total camps. I try to build at least one every other turn. Florida is a good place for camps, as is Texas and Kansas (once conquered). I also use Little Rock, Shreveport, and sometimes Knoxville for camps. I will also occasionally build them in Kentucky. I try to spread my initial camp building out to preserve as much income potential from the camp provinces as possible. However, after April 1862, I will load each camp province to the hilt, as come April 1863, each will be perpetually devoid of manpower.
Why camps? Mainly because the cost of new units is very high, take along time to produce, and can only be raised once a year if you don't want to significantly hinder your income production. I also am not a big fan of disbanding brigades to fill out existing units. Brigades are too precious to destroy. Over the long run, camps can and will refill brigades, which will ultimately allow you to field larger armies and more divisions. 1862 is the critical year for brigade survival. I try to minimize my contact with the Union and by extension my defeats to avoid losing brigades to surrender. I usually never go on the offensive unless I know I am assured of victory. I can't afford to lose 2-3 brigades due to an unlucky aggressive manuever. I prefer to parry the Union thrusts as much as possible, engaging in a mobile defense to maximize my defending brigades in an effort to limit my territorial but more importantly my manpower losses until my camps reach critical mass. One tactic I use quite a bit is increasing the supply priority in one select division at a time. After a major battle, I will reshuffle some of my depleted brigades (<1k MP) into the same division and bump the supply priority for that division only. This keeps my supply costs down (bumping an Army container to normal supply will consume money like its going out of style). This way I can quickly bring my brigades back up to the 2k MP mark, and then I will change the supply priority back down and do the same with a different brigade. This is a constant game of whackamole, but it must be done. Not altering supply priority will leave more brigades at <1k MP for too often, and this will cause massive amounts of brigades to insta-route in a quick battle.
2. Mints
More money is always good. In fact, its downright critical. If you think you have too much money, you're doing it wrong.
3. Plantations
Increase building capacity when you need it, plus provides bonuses. Better than a mansion, because it doesn't compete with camps for your money. True plantations cost labor, which is in high demand as well, but if you have more money than labor, skip building the plantation for a turn and build a research building or buy a weapon upgrade or unit enhancement.

Diplomacy - I usually do not put money into diplomacy until I am done buying camps. By then, I will usually have enough money to support all-out diplomacy to Britain and building a research building or buying a unit enhancement every other turn. But really, I am not sure why I bother. If I can keep the Union out of my country long enough to afford the mass amounts of cash successful diplomacy takes, I usually do not need the support Europe can bring. My honest opinion on diplomacy is that its like a bank loan. You only get it if you can show you don't need it. However, there are several downsides to neglecting diplomacy, but these aren't game breaking.

1. As your support dwindles, so will the bonus resources they send you, and the supplies your blockade runners can get go down as well. Its for this reason I don't build any more blockade runners. Usually by mid to late '62, I am running out of things to gather. As for what to get first, I will prioritize the resources I need the next turn. I know what I want to build the next turn, as well as what I would like to build. If I see a resource load that will enable to build three buldings versus two, I will go after it. However, I usually try to stay away from anything that is >=40% danger risk, unless its a large quantity of a scare resource. It's not worth taking a blockade runner out of commission for several months to get 20 horses. However, I will brave a 50/40 sea zone for $60.
2. You will lose access to buying European arms. While this may not seem like a big deal, the cost of upgrading arms gets expensive quick once you cross the support limits. If I can avoid paying 70 weapons for a Richmond Musket upgrade by spending some early cash on Enfields/Lorenzes/Lieges, I will absolutely do it. I tend to spend early cash surpluses on Euro weapon upgrades. It also provides your volunteer brigades a much needed oomph.

Governors - I RP some with the game, so I will spend resources keeping a governor happy by building them a semi-uselessbuilding. Unless its the governor of Tennessee or Virginia. Those two end up hating me by mid-1862 every game, so trying to placate them by building a barracks is a waste of time and resources. The reason I build camps in Arkansas is because that governor does not allow volunteer musters, so I will never be able to benefit from Little Rocks population except by camps. Since it lies west of the Mississippi, I try not to invest in building other types of buildings there. I have decent luck (probably 50%) in getting the Georgia governor replaced in the first turn, so I will muster there when appropriate.

That is pretty much that part of the strategy. The next post will be my turn 1 purchases as well as my thoughts on impressments.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Ugly Guy

How so? Just curious as I have always found Fredericksburg to be an ideal defense/choke point. +6 Forts, decent supply, and close to rail lines. As long as I can keep my artillery in the fight, I can usually hold it most of the game. Do you do something different?

Difference is detailed battles I guess. I find that on turn one, the somewhat low strength AoNV will be attacked by three armies sent by the Northern Agressors. So I usually take the loss of one fort on the opening turns to pull back and reform the AoNV before heading back in.
Going to be interesting to watch [:)]

Terje

Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

First Turn

First turn building is one plantation in Atlanta. While not immediately useful, they take such a long time to build, I need to get it started now.

I will also attempt to impress in all cities with a 10% impressment danger rate. They are the following for this turn:

Austin - 10 horses
Charleston - 30 money
Columbus, GA - 20 labor
Knoxville - 10 labor
Memphis - 30 money
Milledgeville - 10 labor
Nashville - 40 money
Savannah - 30 labor
Shreveport - 40 money

I know many people think that the impressment option is OP, but I do not agree. In the first turn, I liken it to Southern enthusiam for the war effort. After the first turn, my percentages are usually not as good, and the risk of impressment gos up considerably. Having a few cities at in a state of unrest is not good at all for production, for a very small reward sometimes. I am not too worried about the governor hit at this point, as I mentioned before, Tennessee will hate me before to long anyways, so he is a lost cause. The Georgia governorn already dislikes me, and Texas, SC, and LA will be friendly the whole game. I rarely impress after the first turn, only if I absolutely need something and I can get alot of it for a cheap price.

As an aside to this, I am not sure what it means when a governor supports impressment. I tried impressing in his state and it stilled caused riots and failed a few times. I would think a governor support would be a a reduction of the downside costs?

Next post is the first turn results.
Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

Turn 1

SecWar Report:
1. The first half of November of 1861 saw widespread Confederate reinforcements being drawn up from all over the South. The young men of Dixie heeded the call and are moving towards their predescribed destination points.
2. The divisions of Price and Hardee moved into Kansas only to see the defending Yankee brigade flee before it could be engaged.
3. Reports of large Union troop movements into Kentucky still continue to circulate. This is as my own army commanded by Johnston was pulled out of Kentucky in respect of its Neutrality Announcement.
4. Troops in Eastern KY and Tennessee were successfuly relocated to the Kennewah district.
5. Generals in Richmond were given orders to report to various container units across the South. The Army of Tennessee and Army of Northern Virginia were popular destinations.
6. Lee assumed command of the Army of Tennessee and but encountered difficulties moving it into a defensive position around Ft. Pillow.
7. Disease ravaged the Army of Northern Virginia, causing the deaths of some 2,000 southern soldiers.
8. ~1500 replacement troops were gathered by our local training camps and dispursed to five brigades. Units are still reportedly understrength by ~85,000 troops.
9. Our fort near Cairo is under assault by Union troops. Commander reports he will only be able to hold out another 2-4 weeks unless the Union army is driven back.
10. Raiders and Partisans around this fort caused damage to the local economy and destroyed numerous supply depots while escaping without significant losses.

SecInt Report:
1. Resources were generously donated by the citizens of all but two of the cities requested. The citizens of Nashville and Milledgeville encountered logistical difficulties in gathering the requested resources. I fear the mayoral support in those two cities may not have been adequate to support the generosity of the citizens. The matter has been turned over to the Attorney General and an investigation is underway.
2. A plantationed was financed in Atlanta.
3. John Shorter is now govenor in Alabama.
4. Brown was reelected in Georgia.
5. Harris was reelected in Tennessee.
6. Lubbock was reelected in Texas.

SecNav Report
1. Navy Frigates were deployed to the mouth of the Mississippi.
2. Blockade runners in the Gulf of Mexico were damaged attempting to gather goods.
3. Blockade runners in the Atlantic were successful in retrieving 20 money.

SecState Report
1. Support for the CSA has declined slightly in Britain and the European proper.
2. France generously donated 22 logistical technology to our cause.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Ugly Guy,
Welcome to the forum. It's always good to have a new player, and even better to have a new AAR.

Yes, the forum's a bit inactive these days, but that's typical after a game has been out for so long. My guess is that when we release the related "Brother Against Brother" later this year things will pick up around here.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

Thanks, Gil. Hopefully more people will join in the discussion in this AAR.

Next post is due tomorrow. I am behind on my tax homework. Hopefully I can get it finished tomorrow over lunch and then play another turn when I get home from class tomorrow night.
Mr. Yuck

Post by Mr. Yuck »

I just started playing FOF again after two years. Good to see a new AAR.
Ugly Guy

Post by Ugly Guy »

Mr. Yuck - Its a fun game in my opinion. I had been looking for a new Civil War game for awhile, and this one seemed like my kind of game.

Now on to turn two. As the action commences in future turns, I will post more screen shots.

Turn 2

SecWar Report:
1. We have procured five brigades worth of Liege rifles from friends of the Cause in France, and have move dour first load of Napolean cannons to our artillery battery in the Army of Tennessee.
2. Shoddy communications prevented the orders sent to Gen. Bragg earlier in the month to begin the seige of Pensacola from reaching him. Attempts to reestablish communication was successful and the seige is under way. We are also pleased to report that Fort Monroe and Topeka are also under seige.
3. The Union seige of Fort DeRussey remains in progress. Spies report Union armies moving north along the Mississippi out of Louisville KY.
4. Volunteer brigades continue to move towards the main Confederate armies. A few have been diverted from Fredericksburg to West Virginia for a planned future Confederate offensive.
5. ~1500 men completed minimal training to provide reinforcements to existing regiments.
6. Disease once again strikes the Army of Northern Virginia. Estimated casualties are north of 2000 men.
7. A small skirmish in Kansas results in a Confederate victory. Over 120 Yankees were killed or captured fleeing the battlefield. Our losses were estimated to be under 100, mostly due to self-sustained injuries trying to catch up with the Yankees.
8. Rumors of a Federal offensive in Fredericksburg have again proven false. In light of the disease that is currently continuing to decimate our forces there, this would be a good thing. Surely, though, the Yankees will move soon.
9. Our partisans in southern Illinois have again wrecked havoc on the Yankee railways, but the local militia managed to surprise our forces after the deed was done and kill a considerable amount of them. We doubt it will continue as a going concern. Our raiders in Missouri were ineffective at causing any substantian economic damage.
SecInt Report:
1. Began construction on 3 camps, two in Little Rock and one in Austin.
2. Governor Pettus is requesting funds to build a railroad station in his state. It probably won't be feasible until more iron is made available.
3. Tax revenue is flowing into the government's coffers. The labor situation around the Confederacy is adequate, and horse production is ahead of schedule. However, our iron supplies are woefully lacking, and not enough to construct even the modest of buildings. We are going to request that certain states emphasize iron production in future months.
SecNav Report
1. One of our blockade runners interns at New Orleans for repairs. The other is moving towards the Gulf of Mexico where European smugglers are rumored to be waiting with stores of supplies for the Confederacy.
SecState Report
1. British and European Proper support for the Confederacy continues to decline, while French support holds steady.

Return to “After Action Reports”